Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Apps & websites
Our Sky Apps and websites help optimize your Sky TV experience. From managing your Sky box on the go, to catching up with latest news, we have the app for you.
Regular Visitor
Mr+Ian+1979

Galaxy Tab 3 and Sky Sports Mobile TV

I recently downloaded the Sky Sports Mobile TV App on my Galaxy Tab 3 7", purchased a subscription to the £4.99 Sky Sports 1 and 2 package, and tried to commence playback. Upn doing so, I received a message saying that my device was not compatible with the service. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but to no avail.

After two separate and entirely fruitless conversations with the well-meaning idiots on the live chat facility, I decided to call Sky directly in an attempt to find a solution (or obtain a refund). I finally managed to be put through to a helpful lady in the technical support team who assured me that the device itself should be compatible, but that there is a compatibility issue between the latest version of Android (4.2.1) and the Sky Sports Mobile App. She advised me that this ought to be rectified within the next 72 hours, at which point all should be well. I requested a refund regardless, just in case the issue took longer to solve, or could not be solved for my device.

I would be grateful if someone from the new media team could confirm the tech support version of events (as it seems to differ somewhat from the 'live chat' version) and also if someone could post an update on here when the problem is rectified, so that I may re-purchase the subscription and start watching on my tablet.

Many thanks,

Ian

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Platinum)
seandouglas2

Re: Galaxy Tab 3 and Sky Sports Mobile TV

try removing it, clear cache, turn off device restart and reinstall, is normal one method that might work.
Please note, I do not work for Sky. I am a paying customer, like you.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Platinum)
seandouglas2

have you got Sky go? as your device is compatible.

http://help.sky.com/tv/sky-tv-on-other-devices/sky-go-supported-devices#!android
Regular Visitor
Mr+Ian+1979

Hi, Sean. Thanks for your reply.

No, I don't have Sky Go, as I only wanted to watch the sports without the entertainment package. It's £35 for the sports (and entertainmment) package on Sky Go, and only £4.99 or £9.99 for the Sky Sports Mobile TV. I don't have a Sky TV box/subscription, so this would be my only way of watching. Was looking for a cheaper way of watching just the occasional football/RL game, and Sky Sports Mobile TV seemed ideal.

Regarding the uninstall/clear cache idea, I would have to subscribe again in order to see if that worked, and I'd prefer to get definite confirmation first that,

a) the Tab 3 7" is definitely compatible with Sky Sports Mobile TV, and,

b) the known issue between this app and Android 4.2.1 has been rectified.

Otherwise, I may just find myself in the same boat.

Senior Member (Platinum)
seandouglas2

just checked it is not on the supported device list.If you go to google play store and you will see that Tab 3 is not there. I downloaded and it worked on my tab 3 but did not go in to a programs, so could not say whether it worked.
Regular Visitor
Mr+Ian+1979

Yeah, I saw that it said it wasn't compatible after I'd paid for the subscription. You could argue that I ought to have checked first, but there's also a fairly strong argument to say that I shouldn't have been allowed to download the app/buy the subscription if my device is not compatible. 

All that aside, Sky tech support say the device is supported and it's just the issue with my version of Android that needs to be dealt with. Hence my seeking clarification on here.

Senior Member (Platinum)
seandouglas2

I agree annoying that. I know some apps will tell you before you download it is not compatible so can not download it. I have it on 4.1.2 but should be due an update to 4.3 at some point, it might even get 4.4 kit kat! Heres hoping for a quick fix!
Regular Visitor
Mr+Ian+1979

Yes, 4.1.2 is right - I said 4.2.1 before, but that's wrong. Hopefully someone at Sky can give me a definite answer in the not too distant future.
Community Coordinator
Caroline-E

Mr+Ian+1979,

Thanks for your post there.

I am investigating this issue for you as we speak and will keep you fully updated as and when I hear further news.

Many thanks for your patience in this matter up to now. 

Caroline
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.