Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
craiglovick26

sky+hd box initializing, on demand wireless router box problem?

hi

i recently got one of these new on demand wirless router boxes so i could move my tv to the other side of the roomand still get on demand, has been working perfectly for the last 4 days, the tv and sky box at night had only been on standby, but last night as i had no recordings schedueld i turned the box off at the mains, this morning i have nothing, no tv channels, no planner no listings and no signal or anything, is this something to do with the wirless on demand box being connected as it seems very odd that have had no problem until i had this thing attached. please help, really dont want to have lost all my recorded programmes and refuse to pay for a new box after only purchasing this one less than a year ago after the last one broke down.

please help

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

Re: sky+hd box initializing, on demand wireless router box problem?

Try switching off at the mains for 5 minutes. The switch back on and wait another 5 minutes before bringing it out of standby. Then do a planner rebuild.

If that dosen't help try the same without the wireless adaptor connected.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
batweb79

Hi Craig,

Is your box stuck in standby, a red light on the front of the box? If so, then running Software Update on your box should get it working again - don't worry it won't affect any of your existing recordings.

Thanks,

Barry
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Super User
AvoriazSkier

Get the box changed if it's less than a year old!
Still a victim of bureaucracy!
Occasional Visitor
LHamilton

Hi All,

So I received my free Sky wirelss unit last week and the very next day my box wouldn't come out of standby.

Firstly, I've never had any issues with my sky HD box up until plugging in the wireless.

The day I plugged it in everything was fine, it connected to my router and all was okay.  The box went in and out of standby fine.

The next morning the remote control wouldn't turn on the Skybox, the buttons on the box wouldn't work either.  I tried unplugging the wireless unit but this didn't have an effect.  I had to turn it off at the mains and back on.  After it initialised it went in and out of standby perfectly all day using the remote and buttons with the wireless unit plugged in.

The next day the same problem, the sky box wouldn't come out of standby with the remote or buttons on the box.  I found that if I hold the on button on top of the box and it powers down that I can then turn it back on using the remote.  The box works fine all day.

The next day, same issue.........you get the idea......

I've found that the box will operate in and out of standby until at least till 4am but won't work after 7am......???  Does the box do anything during these hours??

Please Sky advisors don't tell me this isn't related to the wireless unit.....too many people have had similar issues. :smileywink:

I have tried resetting the software (twice now) by holding down the backup button and turning the sky box on at the mains but this doesn't solve it, the next day the sky box won't come out of standby.

What I haven't tried is unplugging the wireless unit then resetting the software and seeing if the next day it works........but really I shouldn't have to!! 

My Sky HD box is about 17 months old (it's the one shown on the advert) and up until plugging in the wireless unit it never had any issues.

Please help!!

Super User
Mark39

I suspect your wireless connector is faulty. I had the same issue as you, with the box failing to come out of standby. A replacement wireless connector, connected and used in exactly the same way has worked flawlessly.

Occasional Visitor
LHamilton

Thanks Mark39.

Could I ask how you went about getting the replacement unit?  Did you have to get SKY to accept it might be faulty?

Super User
Mark39

Just give them a call and explain as you have above: your Sky box worked perfectly before installing the wireless connector, consistently failed to come out of standby with the wireless connector plugged in, and worked perfectly again when you disconnected it.

Occasional Visitor
LHamilton

Thanks, I'll give them a call.