Discussion topic: Below average broadband speeds

This message was authored by Lainee87 This message was authored by: Lainee87

Below average broadband speeds

Yesterday my broadband speeds reached their ultimate low and the Sky team have offered to send a new hub. Dubious that this will actually work, but I work from home and streaming anything, sustaining a connection on teams or playing ps4 has become very challenging without the connection totally dropping.

My hub stats are below along with my average speeds from service checker.

Lainee87_0-1705410308289.pngLainee87_1-1705410328046.png

Has anyone else had similar resolved through a new hub?

I've been with Sky 3 years now and it's never been as bad as it has been the last two to three months since I came out of contract. Coincidence or does this happen a lot till you change deals and sign up for something else?

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Below average broadband speeds

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lainee87 

I'd be suprised if its resolved with a new hub. To me it looks like a pretty major line fault, your sync speed should not change that much everyday

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lainee87 wrote:

I've been with Sky 3 years now and it's never been as bad as it has been the last two to three months since I came out of contract. Coincidence or does this happen a lot till you change deals and sign up for something else?

Coincidence: Ofcom would slaughter any ISP found to be cutting connection speed with that intent (and there's no mechanism by which it could happen anyway as line speed is the remit of Openreach).

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Lainee87 

When the speed is impacted in your case, it is usually a broadband line fault, and replacing the router doesn't achieve anything. You are currently below your minimum guaranteed speed (MGS) by some amount only registering half of the MGS and that will need an engineer visit by Openreach to fix the fault.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Lainee87
Topic Author

@jamesn123 thanks that was my initial thought to be fair. My line had issues when I was first connected by sky. The openreach technician couldn't get a good read on my line they thought it was dead and disconnected me!

Looks like the cabinet brigade need to come out and fix it. The guy in the call center was more intent on changing my hub and talking over me than listening to the problem and the fix history at my address

Lainee87
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood yeah is a coincidence ad a very frustrating one. Think I took my 6mbps out on you yesterday. Sorry 

This message was authored by GeoWolf58 This message was authored by: GeoWolf58

i got a new Sky Max Wi-Fi hub on saturday 13 Jan 2024. Since installing it on Saturday, my broadband speed to the Hub and Upload speed has dropped. Today, Tues 16 Jan, i had issues with opening things on my PC and some wi-fi items kept dropping out.

Did the self-check on Sky app, and found out there was an issue, but more importantly, i was not getting the 36Mbs promised in my guarentee.

Called Sky and spoke to someone who spent some time doing all the checks.

They agree i have an issue, so booked me a Sky Engineer visit tomorrow morning.

Could be something to do with new hub or a fault at local OpenReach exchange ?

Sky speed to hub.jpgSky Upload speed.jpg

Lainee87
Topic Author

Update: speed confirmed by Sky as dropped to 2mbps today and engineer booked for tomorrow. No mention of a hub today they realised they should have sorted this yesterday

Currently hotspotting off my phone! 

Lainee87
Topic Author

Openreach engineer now booked ... felt sorry for the sky engineer who basically had to come out to confirm everything i had said on the phone to make the call center book the right person ... slowly getting there! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion