Discussion topic: Cease in the broadband line

This message was authored by Mr.+Wolff This message was authored by: Mr.+Wolff

Cease in the broadband line

This post will hopefully raise awareness of the unethical business practices from Sky as well as finding out if anyone encountered the same problem.

On 28/6 June I cancelled Sky Broadband and raised an order with EE.l Broadband.

Yesterday 11th July I was made aware that Sky had put a "cease" on the line without my knowledge or authorisation which meant EE could not progress the order until it was fully cancelled on 12th July. This will now mean I will be 2 weeks without internet access.

At the time of cancellation Sky should have advised a remote transfer to EE would effectively cancel the Sky Broadband with no break in service, instead they proceeded with the cease on the line knowing this prevents any service providers from taking over the service.

This is an unethical business practice and Sky knowingly pit a cease on the line with the intention of creating a break in service.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Cease in the broadband line

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mr.+Wolff unfortunstely the issue is because you chose to cancel and subsequentally order from another isp using Openreach network. The Ofcom one stop broadband switch process is by the customer ordering from a new isp and for them to handle the cancellation as explained here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switchi...

That process should ensure there is no gap in provision.

It is perfectly normal for customers switching to a different network provider like Virgin Media to cancel their Sky service as the one stop switch does not work with those switches at the moment therefore unless you specifically mentioned EE broadband as opposed to EE mobile broadband the  Sky agent was acting correctly.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Mr.+Wolff wrote:

Yesterday 11th July I was made aware that Sky had put a "cease" on the line without my knowledge or authorisation

You literally authorised it by cancelling your Sky service?

The proper way to switch ISPs is to contact the new provider and tell them you want to move to them. They then deal with the rest of it.

As @Chrisee has said, the whole reason you had this issue is because you cancelled with Sky first rather than just ordering with EE. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by reb97 This message was authored by: reb97

I have the same problem. I was reaching the end of my fixed rate with Sky, so I told then not to renew, I would move to someone else. I made it clear to them I was not cancelling my contract with them, I was simply not renewing it, and would not be continuing with them, as I would get a new supplier for less. I then lined up a new supplier, aiming to start the day after my contract with Sky ended, only to have them tell me there was a cease on the line, and they could not process my order until the day after my contract with sky ends. Sky did not tell me they would do this! this is my first time switching supplier so I had not idea this 'cease on the line' was even a thing. This is unethical, as they are clearly doing it to spite customers for leaving!

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@reb97  Sky are not doing anything to upset customers you have simply and unfortunately followed the wrong process for switching 

the proper procedure is as detailed by @Chrisee in post 2 above 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@reb97 

You do not need to tell Sky not to renew, once your contract is up you just go onto a rolling 30 day contract. By contacting Sky and telling them you did not want to renew its clear there has been a confusion as to whether you wanted to stop the contract completely. Sky are not trying to spite you, its clear a miscommunication has taken place as well as you making the mistake of contacting Sky when you did not need to. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@reb97 raise a formal complaint with Sky and Sky will listen to the call recording. If a mistake was made by the agent Sky will tell you and are likely to aplogise as mistakes happen the agents are human.. 

According to Ofcom Sky have the lowest number of complaints of all ISPs because most get closed off before they go any further. This link explains how to start the process How to make a Sky complaint | Sky Help | Sky.com

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion