Discussion topic: Gigafast Speed Problems

This message was authored by philam2-Mobile2 This message was authored by: philam2-Mobile2

Gigafast Speed Problems

Hello!

Tearing my hair out slightly here.

I live in a house with significant internet demand; 6 adults, 3 working from home, xboxes, smart TVs etc. Until a couple of weeks ago all was well; my old Sky router is wired to various network switches and BT Mesh discs, everything that can be hard wired by ethernet is, everything else is close to a wifi broadcasting device of some description. Bottom line - loads of devices connected but a very solid infrastructure that has worked well for years in spite of that.

We have now upgraded to Gigafast broadband - so, new router, new box on the wall bringing the cable in, everything else the same.

In theory it is flying - do a speed test from any device and you are getting 300mbps (wifi) and 900mbps (ethernet). Uploads fly along and so do downloads (often). However, the overall experience is patchy as hell - constantly being moaned at for things buffering, and in my office (where I am cabled directly into the router) my 900mbps connection still results in slow browsing. Sky Q mini boxes regularly "glitching".  Clearly something isnt right but I don't know what. My concern is that if I do get an engineer out they will say "look at all of your devices, there's loads of them and that causes the problem" and will ignore the fact that a) all those devices managed just fine on a 10 year old router and b) plugging in via ethernet directly to the router should trump that argument. I am going to bite the bullet and call over the weekend but any advice would be much appreciated as I am not overly confident that will be a success (very much depends on "who answers the phone" in my experience. Thank you.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Gigafast Speed Problems

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@philam2-Mobile2 there have been a number of posts about issues between Sky hubs with Sky Q boxes causing the network to misbehave.. suggest you run a test if you power down the Q boxes and see if the issues disapear.  

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
philam2-Mobile2
Topic Author
This message was authored by philam2-Mobile2 This message was authored by: philam2-Mobile2

@Chriseethanks for this i will give it a try. My issue seems to be different from that reported by others as most other posters are saying that hard-wiring of Q boxes causes speed tests to drop......conversely my speed tests remain fine but my "real world" experience is not. However i accept the fundamental issue may be the same so will give it a try, thank you. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@philam2-Mobile2 if speeds are OK but sites seem to hang before loading it could be a DNS issue so either try adding a public DNS address in the devices network settings or disconect the hub for a few minutes and hope when reconnected you are on a different Sky server.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion