Discussion topic: Gigafast worse than before.

This message was authored by Davidwhit This message was authored by: Davidwhit

Gigafast worse than before.

Hi can someone please help. I jave just upgraded to Gigafast. Previous speed was about 70 download. 

Its worth mentioning nothing in my house has changed. No more devices, the same boster (from sky) router in same spot. Everything identical.

Now I have black spots all over my house with little or no connection. I could even access the sky app a minute ago. Independent speed test showing 12mbs in our bedroom directly above the router.l with wifi cutting out. Never a problem in the room on the old set up.

Called helpdesk to be told no problem with the line. Guarenteed speed into the house but once inside its my problem. He said i have many devices and that might be it. I explained its the same amount but he just kept saying theres nothing wrong. Im about to use my 14 day cooling off and just go back to what i used to have. 

Its genuinely so much worse.

Any ideas?

All Replies

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

Re: Gigafast worse than before.

You are on full fibre broadband  and have an optical  network terminal   I take it, I only ask because  I have gigafast broadband  and have no problems with it  but I am on fttp with open reach  installed  in January  this year, I get  normally  on average  780 mps download  speed, & 100mps upload speed, below  is my open reach optical network terminal box photo, you should  have something  like this for gigafast broadband 

1000010034.jpg

Davidwhit
Topic Author

Hi there. Yes this is the little box they installed. This plugs in as well as the black rectangular upright router

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

I also have sky max wifi hub  the new white  one 

Davidwhit
Topic Author

Was that supplied with your gigafast?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Davidwhit the standard hub Sky provide is the upright Black model you have. You only usually get the White Model if you buy the Wifi Max bundle. In praxtice although the black hub is a wifi5 unit so tops out around 800Mb/s to get the full 900Mb/s overcwifi you need the White hub which is wifi6 capable and a device which also supports wifi 6.

In terms of wifi range the two are pretty similar. To get fast wifi through out most homes you need extra kit which is part of the Wifi Max bundle if you pay to get that alternatively you can buy a third party whole home wifi system. Before spending money consider what speeds you actually need to run whater apps you use which is normally less than 100Mb/s.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

No as I have sky glass tv  I changed the hub to sky max wifi hub  before  I  went to full fibre  broadband 

Davidwhit
Topic Author

The problem I have is not the speed it's the connection. Nothing has changed hub wise, device wise or placements literally just the new small gigafast box but now I'm getting WiFi dropping upstairs and last night I couldn't even run a check on the line on the sky app.

On the phone to them now and all I'm getting is "well your house is getting faster speeds" I'm trying to explain that the bricks don't use the WiFi. Before everyone in the house could use the internet when we were on Superfast and now we can't. 

Davidwhit
Topic Author

Also they have said I have WiFi boost on the account so they can send me a booster, I explained I have one in the next room from them and they have said "well then just troubleshoot it" 

Trying to explain that it worked perfectly before I just wanted faster and now it doesn't work. 

Im really getting a "tough **bleep**" attitude from them

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion