Discussion topic: Moving from bt with wifi discs to sky max ultrafast. Son wants wired Ethernet connection? How

This message was authored by Lizchrchc This message was authored by: Lizchrchc

Moving from bt with wifi discs to sky max ultrafast. Son wants wired Ethernet connection? How

So my sons gaming pc need is currently plugged into BT wifi disc via Ethernet. The pc has no wifi adapter and he doesn't want a wireless connection because of the lagging.

Sky max ultrafast goes lie in a week, and I don't know what to buy to make this work. He has a sky stream pick in his room and don't know if this will work as an access for pc via ethernet. 

I've looked at tp links and it seems these don't use ethernet either. I'm 35 and feel like a dinosaur I'm so not tech savvy but I'm trying and would appreciate the help. 

I did ask sky before I ordered they said the sky max can be set up in his room the ONT can be installed there, however we already have one in the living room??

also wondered if the bt discs would work with sky?

any options that would allow him to have connection to his PC still, would be greatly appreciated. This is was meant to be an upgrade and feel like I've ruined his life 😂 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Moving from bt with wifi discs to sky max ultrafast. Son wants wired Ethernet connection? How

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lizchrchc your sons concern about lagging is misplaced as at the moment although his PC is connected by ethernet but the BT Disc uses Wifi to connect to the hub. While direct ethernet is by far the best for gaming using.an ethernet lead to a wifi bridge is not going to be much better than direct wifi and indeed could introduce greater latency.

However the black BT Discs only work with BT hubs and IIRC have to go back to BT but the white ones could possibly work.  Sky sell a similar set up as BT's discs called Sky Wifi Max at £7.50 a month which gets you a new Wifi6 router and up to 3 pod extenders each of which has two ethernet ports. Sky supply one extender after a phone call the others have to be approved after an engineer's visit. A wifi card for the PC could be a better investment.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Moving from bt with wifi discs to sky max ultrafast. Son wants wired Ethernet connection? How

@Lizchrchc wrote:

So my sons gaming pc need is currently plugged into BT wifi disc via Ethernet. The pc has no wifi adapter and he doesn't want a wireless connection because of the lagging.

He's using a wireless connection to the disk...

Sky max ultrafast goes lie in a week, and I don't know what to buy to make this work. He has a sky stream pick in his room and don't know if this will work as an access for pc via ethernet. 

A Stream puck has no ability to act as a network bridge: it's just a wireless client device

I've looked at tp links and it seems these don't use ethernet either. I'm 35 and feel like a dinosaur I'm so not tech savvy but I'm trying and would appreciate the help. 

Some 'mesh' or 'extender' hardware does, some does not.

I did ask sky before I ordered they said the sky max can be set up in his room the ONT can be installed there, however we already have one in the living room??

The existing ONT won't be relocated: where there's already live FTTP at the address it's entirely a remote switchover and you won't see either Sky or Openreach personnel.

also wondered if the bt discs would work with sky?

White BT disks and recent black Wifi 6 disks will.  The much more common black 802.11ac disks will not.

any options that would allow him to have connection to his PC still, would be greatly appreciated. This is was meant to be an upgrade and feel like I've ruined his life 😂 

Sky offers WiFi Max mesh 'pods' which have similar functionality to BT disks, but you'd have to claim one retrospectively.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lizchrchc 

The best interim solution might be a pair of Powerline adapters.

Lizchrchc
Topic Author

So I've just checked, I have ordered sky wifi max, the sky max hub came today it's, I have sky broadband ultrafast plus, the person on the phone never mentioned the extenders and I specifically asked if they did anything similar to bt, I can't remember if they said they do or not, but regardless he just told me I don't need one coz an otp will be installed in his room? 

I know I won't get good range with just a router which is why I got the max hun, and have 4 mini discs with bt. I wish they'd have said this on the phone I don't wether to call them now or wait till it goes live and request one 

Lizchrchc
Topic Author

Would a power line adapter be better than the usb tp link things that go into the pc? 

@Lizchrchc wrote:

So I've just checked, I have ordered sky wifi max, the sky max hub came today it's, I have sky broadband ultrafast plus, the person on the phone never mentioned the extenders and I specifically asked if they did anything similar to bt, I can't remember if they said they do or not, but regardless he just told me I don't need one coz an otp will be installed in his room? 

BT Ultrafast over FTTP to Sky Ultrafast Plus would not involve a change of ONT because there would already be one at the address.  They shouldn't really be in bedrooms anyway.

I know I won't get good range with just a router which is why I got the max hun, and have 4 mini discs with bt. I wish they'd have said this on the phone I don't wether to call them now or wait till it goes live and request one 

You have to wait anyway: they aren't claimable initially.

@Lizchrchc wrote:

Would a power line adapter be better than the usb tp link things that go into the pc? 

Probably, yes.  Also it's technically a wired connection ; )

Lizchrchc
Topic Author

You're so helpful! Thanks!

If sky max offer me their version of the bt wifi discs (which I have only just discovered exist) would it still be better to use powerline adapter, if that's wired?

@Lizchrchc 

Difficult to know until it's tried, but it would rule out wireless latency.

The 'pods' are described here: Sky will loan one after a telephone diagnosis and two more with a home visit.

They typically insist the broadband connection has been in use for at least ten days before a pod can be claimed (which, annoyingly, is only actually relevant to FTTC, not FTTP)

Lizchrchc
Topic Author

I'm looking at power line adapters now on Amazon, do you know which mbps we would need or have any recommendation's?

I will call them and request one when able to. Thanks 

@Lizchrchc wrote:

I'm looking at power line adapters now on Amazon, do you know which mbps we would need or have any recommendation's?

All the manufacturers use bogus numbers with those: some claim stupid (and even impossible) speeds.

Ultrafast Plus is 500Mbs maximum anyway (at the Hub) and gaming doesn't need anything like that speed, so there's no need to pay for the premium hardware: a known brand-name is preferable though.

If you are likely to be claiming a Max pod then I'd suggest Powerline without WiFi.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion