Discussion topic: Nintendo switch not picking up new router, all other devices fine, any ideas?

This message was authored by Tony886644 This message was authored by: Tony886644

Nintendo switch not picking up new router, all other devices fine, any ideas?

Replaced an older sky router today with a new one, all other devices in the house are picking up and connecting fine apart from my sons Nintendo switch, it can't even find the WiFi name when searching, any ideas? I've tried all the usual switching off and back on, thanks 

Best Answers
Tony886644
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tony886644 This message was authored by: Tony886644 Answer

Re: Nintendo switch sky max

Hi @Daveowls exactly the same happened to me, I downloaded the sky app went into broadband settings and changed the wireless security setting  to a lower level, restarted the switch and it picked it up 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daveowls This message was authored by: Daveowls

Nintendo switch sky max

Just upgraded to skymax the white hub. Everything is okay bar my lads switch. It won't even find the internet name let alone allow me to connect. I've reset the switch but still it won't find it 

any ideas 

Dave 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Nintendo switch not picking up new router, all other devices fine, any ideas?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tony886644 try resetting the switch unit as explained here https://www.nintendo.com/en-gb/Support/Nintendo-Switch/How-to-Delete-All-Content-and-Settings-on-the...

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by PezzaJP This message was authored by: PezzaJP

Re: Nintendo switch not picking up new router, all other devices fine, any ideas?

Nintendo switches will not recognise channels higher than 140 on 5ghz - if you have that set up or have one of the Sky Wifif Max routers that routinly chooses channle 149 that will be the issue.

Clueless Sky have locked down the Max router (because us simple folk cannot be trusted) and will not allow you to change it manually - which is infurating.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PezzaJP interesting observation but presumably the switch connects to the 2.4GHz band successfully?

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by PezzaJP This message was authored by: PezzaJP

@Tony886644 Frustratingly no, it wont connect to the 2.4Ghz network directly on the router either, Luckliy I have 3 pods dotted around the house and it will connect to one of those - but they are much farther away and weaker signals.

You could try resetting your router and see if it loads up on another channel - if its on channel 149 - but ther is no guarantee it won't switch back again on its own.

This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Everyone

Thanks very much for highlighting this problem.

I believe the Nintendo Switch only uses WPA2 security, whereas your Sky WiFi Max hub is automatically set for WPA3-T. Can you try changing to WPA2 and see if you can connect the switch please?

You can find the steps below and for more information., click here  😀

Change WiFi security level

Change your WiFi security level to WPA2 if you need to connect an older device that’s not compatible with WPA3-T.

Open the My Sky app:

1. Tap Broadband then Sky Max Hub.
  2. Tap Advanced settings then WiFi security level.
  3. Choose WPA2 from the Security level drop down.
  4. Tap Save changes.
  5. Read the Are you sure? message and click Continue.

See Change your Sky Max Hub WiFi settings for more info.

Then, on the device you're trying to connect:

1. Forget or remove your WiFi network.
    • Not sure how to? Check your device's user guide.
  2. Turn your device off, then back on again .
  3. Connect it to your WiFi network again.
  4. Repeat for all devices you're struggling to connect.
Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
Tony886644
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tony886644 This message was authored by: Tony886644 Answer

Re: Nintendo switch sky max

Hi @Daveowls exactly the same happened to me, I downloaded the sky app went into broadband settings and changed the wireless security setting  to a lower level, restarted the switch and it picked it up 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion