Discussion topic: Resolution to orange Voice light on SR203

This message was authored by Kenny+Rankin This message was authored by: Kenny+Rankin

Resolution to orange Voice light on SR203

Hi, since upgrading to Sky Gigafast I am experiencing what seems a common problem - intermittent loss of internet with voice light on hub going orange. I can reset the hub and restore connectivity, I also found that if I leave the hub alone it will restore itself eventually.

I have read many posts from others with the same problem but have yet to see a fix. Any ideas how I resolve this ? (Sky are going through the usual list, raise the router, reset router to factory settings etc). I think they will next send me a new router but am not convinced that will fix the problem. 
I have posted part of the log with last nights drop at 22:24 and reconnection 19 mins later in the hope that helps. 

Thanks all.

4718E2DE-A419-4213-A00C-42CB57A4A69D.jpeg

—————————————————————————————————-Sky Q, Sky Gigafast Broadband with SR203 Hub

All Replies

Kenny+Rankin
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kenny+Rankin This message was authored by: Kenny+Rankin

Re: Resolution to orange Voice light on SR203

Additional info :

ONT lights appear normal (green) during the period when router/hub displays orange voice light.

Also, router appears connected ( system up time doesn't reset)

However, I lose all internet connectivity and phone (land) line is dead 

This message was authored by nstokes This message was authored by: nstokes

I had this issue early hours this morning as well.  The internet light was gree on the router but the voice light was orange.  All lights on the ONT were green as normal but yet the inetrnet would not work.  I rebooted the ONT and after a couple of mins the voice light went green again and internet was working.  Why would voice not work stop the inetrnet?

Sky Q 2TB, 2 x Sky Q mini
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@nstokes & @Kenny+Rankin the voice light on the SR203 indicates the status of the IP voice service Sky uses to deliver a voice line where a copper phone line isn't present. You can get issues where the hub has a connection to a Sky server indicated by the Green internet light but no traffic is passing due to a fault amber voice light.. 

In the past you can get this happening when one of Sky's many Radius servers is on the blink which is why rebooting the hub or the ONT can restore the service as when reconnecting the odds are you will be on another unit. Another symptom of this issue is the loss of DNS. Sky do fix these units but given they are in physical points of presence around the country it can take a while.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Kenny+Rankin
Topic Author

Thanks Chrisee, so it appears we just have to live with this issue if the fault is within Sky's server infrastructure ? 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Kenny+Rankin there is nothing you can do apart from trying a reboot but it doesn't seem to happen that often. A couple of years back there was a rash of reports which were linked to a software upgrade which destabilised some units there is no sign of that repeating.

Honestly the system seems pretty stable but 99.9% service level means nothing if you are in the 0.1%.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Thank you for the response.  I hope it doesnt happen too oftern, and like you say 99.9% of time it should be ok, so ill just keep an eye on and hope its a one off

Kenny+Rankin
Topic Author

Thanks Chrisee, I must be in the 0.1% as I have noticed the issue several times in the last 2 months since upgrading from FTTC to Gigafast.

I am going to stop actively looking for the problem (logs) and hopefully will not see too many disconnects.
its reassuring to know that many of the posts in this forum regarding this issue relate to a previous software upgrade. 
Having said that,  it would be helpful if Sky agents would acknowledge the issue instead of futile troubleshooting attempts from their standard scripts.

@Kenny+Rankin So this happened to me again this morning 😞

Kenny+Rankin
Topic Author

I haven't noticed any reoccurrences this week but most of my drops were late night or overnight, it's entirely possible the voice is disconnecting and reconnecting without me being aware ( I haven't checked the logs ) . 

It's strange that, despite multiple posts in this community over a sustained period, Sky do not acknowledge the issue and their agents seem unaware, resulting in futile troubleshooting of the customers setup and needless issue of replacement hubs that wont fix the problem.

is there no way that prevalent / common issues as identified in this Community can be feedback and discussed with Sky (perhaps the super users who have contact with Sky technical or customer support teams can comment ?

I also wonder if this issue is in anyway connected with Skys decision to temporarily remove Gigafast from their service offer ( although I note the issue is not confined to Gigafast) 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kenny+Rankin wrote:

It's strange that, despite multiple posts in this community over a sustained period, Sky do not acknowledge the issue and their agents seem unaware, resulting in futile troubleshooting of the customers setup and needless issue of replacement hubs that wont fix the problem.

Unfortunately rewriting call centre scripts doesn't seem to happen very often.

is there no way that prevalent / common issues as identified in this Community can be feedback and discussed with Sky (perhaps the super users who have contact with Sky technical or customer support teams can comment ?

That's part of the job role of the Community Managers.

I also wonder if this issue is in anyway connected with Skys decision to temporarily remove Gigafast from their service offer ( although I note the issue is not confined to Gigafast) 

Probably not: that's apparently a network capacity issue, and VOIP calling is a tiny amount of data.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

After checking the logs seems to be happening ion early hours and this morning happened just before 8.  Luckily ONT reboot fixed it before i started work.  I do wish sky would come on and explain what is happening.  How can we justify what we pay when we keep getting issues

This message was authored by Andys73 This message was authored by: Andys73

Hey guys. Well its 19th September 2023. Guess what !

Its happend to me 4/5 times in as many weeks. Seriously Sky. Its a year later and its still happening.

This message was authored by Trinidadj This message was authored by: Trinidadj

I'm having this issue for the first time this evening the website and app says they are updating they're systems 

This message was authored by PaulPierce This message was authored by: PaulPierce

Same happening to me right now. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion