Discussion topic: Sky "Superfast" Broadband is Super slow

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Re: Sky "Superfast" Broadband is Super slow

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@FinnDeacon wrote:

Are you suggesting that the quality of Sky's routers aren't 'man' enough to handle the faster speeds?

Correct. The kit that any ISP provides is always of a bare minimum standard but not much else. Do you expect every product that is "bundled" for free with things to be equivalent to something that is an expensive, aftermarket product?

If so, why supply an inferior product that can't handle the promises? 

As above...the standard router is free....

Above all, all quoted speeds are for the physical connection to the property, and are therefore only achieveable on devices connected via cable.
It is a common public misconception, and lack of understanding, that WiFi is not a reliable form of connection, that is purely down to the laws of physics.
It's only radio waves....they're affected by many things. Only a cable can provide a reliable connection while maintaining speed. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by FinnDeacon This message was authored by: FinnDeacon

@JPR007 

I thought I would be offered a product that could have handled the promises on the so called 'clever' adverts.

I would have gladly paid extra for a quality product that will last longer than 19 months and give me what I thought that I would get.

Considering the contract is for a minimum of 18 months, the router is hardly free. The cost of this cheap inferior hardware, is just spread out over the length of the contract.

I have been a happy Sky customer for so many years now and have paid them one hell of a lot of money over those years. Maybe it is time for a change when this contract ends.

This message was authored by Bisto1963 This message was authored by: Bisto1963

I have the same problem and the customer service is useless keep trying to fob you off with different explanation from whoever you talk to at the time just delay tactics I reckon they hope you get fed up and stop calling they are the worst ever to deal with

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@FinnDeacon wrote:

Maybe it is time for a change when this contract ends.

I'm unaware of any ISP that offers its customers bundled hardware which is anything as like as good as the aftermarket models: that's why such a market exists in the first place.

Having said that, Sky continues to issue hardware which won't be viable much longer: Q Hubs have no VOIP facility, for example, so are unprepared for PSTN switch-off..

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@FinnDeacon wrote:

@JPR007 

I would have gladly paid extra for a quality product that will last longer than 19 months and give me what I thought that I would get.

Considering the contract is for a minimum of 18 months, the router is hardly free. The cost of this cheap inferior hardware, is just spread out over the length of the contract.

No you pay them for the router, fixed line to your home and all the services/hardware required in the background to give you an internet connection. Sky Broadband isnt exactly expensive compared to many other ISPs. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by FinnDeacon This message was authored by: FinnDeacon

With everything said and done, why don't Sky offer a way of testing the speed of the broadband beyond the hub. Are they too embarrased to do so?

It so doesn't look like this little guy is getting his speed check from his router!!!

FinnDeacon_0-1652385486194.png

So this isn't misleading???

Other industries would be banned from producing adverts like this one, even though it states in the very small print that it is the speed to the router and not to the laptop........and I still maintain that mine is so not 10x faster than I had previously!!!

I would so want someone from Sky to repond.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@FinnDeacon  You won't get anyone from Sky to respond to your questions, they simply won't be doing that.

All ISP's report the speed to the router , not beyond.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

@FinnDeacon wrote:

With everything said and done, why don't Sky offer a way of testing the speed of the broadband beyond the hub. Are they too embarrased to do so?

Why would Sky or any other ISP need or want to provide a speed test on your end device? There are countless apps, the most popular of which are ookla's, that do this. Sky and other ISP's do not guarantee any kind of speed for Wi-Fi devices, so what would be the point in them measuring something they can't control or influence, and also is not something they can be held responsible for in a contract? As we keep saying the speed is to the router/entry point into the property.

Other industries would be banned from producing adverts like this one, even though it states in the very small print that it is the speed to the router and not to the laptop........and I still maintain that mine is so not 10x faster than I had previously!!!

Have you actually tested any device at all via an Ethernet cable yet, as we keep saying? If you do, I think you will probably find that the speed is 10x faster than what you had before.

All internet speeds, regardless if it is Sky/BT/Virgin, are all quoted speed up to your router, via either a phone line or optical/coax cable. Speed on Wi-Fi varies all the time, it is never as fast as a cabled connection, and are not a reliable way of measuring true internet speeds....especially when you start hitting speeds in the 100's of M/b...

I would so want someone from Sky to repond.

Sky do not reply to forum posts....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

@JPR 

Why would Sky or any other ISP need or want to provide a speed test on your end device?

Why are you not understanding me?.... I am comparing 'like for like' speed tests. Before and after my so called upgrade. I did not use an ethernet cable on laptop before and I am not now!!!!!

There are countless apps, the most popular of which are ookla's, that do this

As I have said before ...I use Ookla and others.

Sky and other ISP's do not guarantee any kind of speed for Wi-Fi devices, so what would be the point in them measuring something they can't control or influence, and also is not something they can be held responsible for in a contract?

But they do guarantee a increase in speed. I was not getting a 140mbps connection to my router before the change, giving me a 35mbps speed on my laptop before...far from it. Even if I am getting a 500mbps speed to my router now, I can only assume that it was only 50mbps before (500/10). If that is the case I was getting a 58% loss of speed between my router and laptop. Given the same percentage loss now, I should be getting 290mbps.... I am not!!

Have you actually tested any device at all via an Ethernet cable yet, as we keep saying? If you do, I think you will probably find that the speed is 10x faster than what you had before.

All internet speeds, regardless if it is Sky/BT/Virgin, are all quoted speed up to your router, via either a phone line or optical/coax cable. Speed on Wi-Fi varies all the time, it is never as fast as a cabled connection, and are not a reliable way of measuring true internet speeds....especially when you start hitting speeds in the 100's of M/b...

As above

Sky do not reply to forum posts...

I thought that this forum was supposed to help customers. I get the impression that you do work for Sky, as your lack of understanding of the point that I am making is frustratingly exactly the same as theirs.

This message was authored by btree+mike This message was authored by: btree+mike

Hi

Had a similar issue when I was on superfast was disconnecting daily and speeds varied had multiple engineers visit but turned out to be the copper lines to my house  apparently as the cables age its a common issue but they won't rewire whole streets to sort.

One of the openreach engineers advised me to change to fibre to property (ultrafast)  which I did and this seems to have sorted 👍

A little knowledge will probably break it get someone else to sort it..

@FinnDeacon I don't think you will get the resolution you are looking for quite honestly. Pretty sure I understand it though...

Your point: You have upgraded your broadband package, which is shown to be 10x faster. You are testing the speed of the service, over WiFi. It is not delivering 10x faster speeds. 

My point: The 10x increase in speed, is for the connection speed up to your router. This is the speed that you pay for, with any ISP, it always has been. The only way that any piece of technology can access this speed, reliably, is via an ethernet cable. If you run one of the tests via a cable, 99% certain, you will find you are getting the speed that you are paying for. Therefore, you are getting the upgrade that you are paying for. If you aren't when using a cable, then this will clearly demonstrate that there is an issue with your connection, and then Sky/Openreach will have to do something and investigate. 

If you ran a test this way while on your old package, you would probably have found that you were getting the speed you were paying for then as well. 

WiFi speeds are different from broadband speed. The tests such as ookla that you run on a device connected via WiFI, is showing you the WiFi speed/performance to that device, not a true reflection of your inbound internet connection. Buying a 10x faster broadband service, does not always (very rarely) translate into a 10x faster WiFi experience. 

At long last...a decent download speed....nothing different this end and I did not even have to cable into my router.

Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 06.24.22.png

So eventually, I am getting what I paid for. Thank you Sky 👍

This message was authored by Frank+Lewis. This message was authored by: Frank+Lewis.

I'm paying for 500mb speed and getting 30 megabytes instead. Any advice?

If you've just had the upgrade, wait for a couple of weeks until all the connections settle down. 

I think that fine tuning in the background takes place to get the best speed for you.

if you've been connected for a while, then get your money back......but pre warn Sky first to give them a chance to put things right first.

This message was authored by Dan+Groves This message was authored by: Dan+Groves

Thank you for everyone's comments in here I had been looking as my sky super fast was giving me about 10mps when downloading I've done everything that everyone suggested and it's now downloading at 225mps 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion