Discussion topic: Switching to sky with own mesh already setup

This message was authored by Syp363 This message was authored by: Syp363

Switching to sky with own mesh already setup

I'm looking to switch my broadband services to sky to go with my tv.

i currently have BT and use an asus XT8 mesh system. Might sound like a dumb question but given I've got so many devices including ones like security cameras which are in the loft (hard to get to) set up, how easy is it to switch provider?? Is it as simple as changing a setting once sky is live?? 
thanks!

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Switching to sky with own mesh already setup

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Syp363 

That asus will work with sky and has been proven to by a few people here

In the uk you will need to remove pppoe authentication used by bt and enter in client identifier (option 61)

anything@skydsl|anything

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Syp363
Topic Author

So just switch the pppoe. On the phone line the person didn't know if I needed the sky router. 
I assume I change the network name and passwords back to what I have now so all devices will automatically connect?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Syp363 

What connection do you have fttc superfast or fttp ultrafast?

If you don't want to use your sky landline then you can directly connect the asus to an fttp ont or existing fttc vdsl modem or if you want to keep your sky landline then change the operating mode to access point.

Also if your have a lot of devices then you can change the ssid and wifi password to match your sky hub but as you are moving from bt you'd probably need to change them on you devices anyway

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Syp363
Topic Author

It's FTTP, was locked into BT due to it being a new build at the time. 

currently don't use my bt hub at all. I'm trying to weigh up switching and saving vs the hassle of connect all the smart devices again - some of which were a real pain to get to work in the first place

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Syp363 

If you continue using the Asus system when you switch to Sky then you wont need to reconnect all your smart devices. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion