Discussion topic: Trying to connect to NAS remotely

This message was authored by boab400 This message was authored by: boab400

Trying to connect to NAS remotely

Hello Sky Community,

I have been racking my brain over this, and will try to keep it simple. I have a NAS attached to our Sky Max Hub, and can connect to it fine both over Wi-Fi and LAN cabled. I used the My Sky app to forward port 21 for FTP, and nothing happened. When I try to use a FTP client to connect to the NAS, both on our home network and remotely, it will not connect. It's almost as if the firewall on the Sky Max Hub is blocking incoming connections. Does anyone have any experience of what else needs configured?

This guide worked flawlessly with all previous hubs, including the one before the Sky Max Hub, but the LAN IP stuff is no longer showing in the Gateway menu :

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/How-to-set-up-port-forwarding/ba-p/2662260

Some help with what is going on would be much appreciated. It has now been 3 weeks and no further forward with opening port 21 to incoming connections over FTP.

Excuse my poor English, I'm from Scotland

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Trying to connect to NAS remotely

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@boab400 

If its not working on the LAN either than its nothing to do with the port forwarding.

Is the FTP service actually started on the NAS? I would note that most applications now use SFTP on port 22 not 21 as that is considered insecure these days.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@boab400 

If its not working on the LAN either than its nothing to do with the port forwarding.

Is the FTP service actually started on the NAS? I would note that most applications now use SFTP on port 22 not 21 as that is considered insecure these days.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
boab400
Topic Author

Thank you for your help @jamesn123

I will check that SFTP is also started on the NAS, and create a port forward rule in the sky app. Its just strange how it worked before, and the only thing that is changed is the Sky Hub.

It is an old Seagate Personal Cloud drive, so could be a legacy device by now.

boab400
Topic Author

So have now setup Port 22 over TCP and it works !

Why can't I choose TCP/UDP when configuring the Port Forward and it only works on TCP?

And can we also assume that FTP is no longer supported by the Gateway on the new Sky Max Hub?

TCP does seem slower than the mixed option with UDP but it won't let me use it at all.

Some interesting findings whilst sorting this one out. Many thanks @jamesn123 for your help, that suggestion you made put me on the right path with this one. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@boab400 wrote:

Why can't I choose TCP/UDP when configuring the Port Forward and it only works on TCP?

Because FTP is TCP exclusive so setting it to TCP/UDP may cause issues and setting it to UDP means it wouldnt work at all.

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion