Discussion topic: What is weak security

This message was authored by Sam...J This message was authored by: Sam...J

What is weak security

Hello. What I connect my phone to the internet it says "weak security" when you click on it it says WEP is not considered secure. If this is your Wi-Fi network, configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security type. I haven't got a clue what that means.

it also just pops off the internet and uses 4G then I have to go back in and connect to my sky internet when I'm at home. Today while I was out it went to 3G. 
please help as I don't know what to do. 
thank you 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: What is weak security

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sam...J do use the chat link but this is quite a common question especially with later iPhones which throw up these warnings without explanation.

Assuming you have not changed the settings your Sky hub defaults to using WPA2-PSK which up until quite recently was the highest level of wifi security, The hubs can be set to WEP but the users has to make the change and ignore the clear warning on the hub's web page with the setting. WPA3 has now been introduced which is a newer standard but requires new chips to work. Sky have a hub which offers WPA3 which comes as part of the Wifi Max pack but it is not required as WPA2-PSK is still considered to be reasonably secure by experts.. 

If you do have an iPhone there is a setting called "Wifi Assist" at the bottom of the Mobile Data settings page - you will need to scoll right down - which will stop the phone switching to use mobile data when thst gives faster speeds than your home's wifi.  

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there @Sam...J , I’ve escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this. 

Just look out for the colourful bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sam...J do use the chat link but this is quite a common question especially with later iPhones which throw up these warnings without explanation.

Assuming you have not changed the settings your Sky hub defaults to using WPA2-PSK which up until quite recently was the highest level of wifi security, The hubs can be set to WEP but the users has to make the change and ignore the clear warning on the hub's web page with the setting. WPA3 has now been introduced which is a newer standard but requires new chips to work. Sky have a hub which offers WPA3 which comes as part of the Wifi Max pack but it is not required as WPA2-PSK is still considered to be reasonably secure by experts.. 

If you do have an iPhone there is a setting called "Wifi Assist" at the bottom of the Mobile Data settings page - you will need to scoll right down - which will stop the phone switching to use mobile data when thst gives faster speeds than your home's wifi.  

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion