Discussion topic: How can we make a difference?

This message was authored by ClareD1979 This message was authored by: ClareD1979

Re: How can we make a difference?

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi,

I was wondering if you could provide more information of where you saw this so I can find out more details.

Kind Regards

Clare

This message was authored by Vic.A This message was authored by: Vic.A

Subtitle Settings on Sky Q

At the moment, I can adjust subtitle size & colours on Prime, Netflix, Apple & Disney+. 
Sky Q does not let me adjust subtitle settings, please can you add this option, since at present the subtitles are quite large and with a black background. Compared to the other platforms, these look primitive. Please can you fix this, especially as we know how much Sky cares about the asthetics of it's platform. Thank you.

Vic A.
This message was authored by Myke+B This message was authored by: Myke+B

This bugs me too - If you're trying to watch a program with any detail (especially things line cooking, crafting, whatever) the subtitles invariably cover what you're trying to watch. Plus they wander all over the screen. Standard TVs pretty much always put them at the bottom with a partially transparent background.

How about this for an experiment?  Force everyone who works in the Sky subtitle development team to watch TV for six months with no sound so they have to use subtitles. I guarantee the subtitle experience will be improved massively !!

This message was authored by ClareD1979 This message was authored by: ClareD1979

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi,

Subtitle customisation is an improvement we are keen to provide for our customers so we are currently working through this from both a research and technical perspective.

In terms of them covering the screen. The Sky team who provide subtitles for our Sky content do consider this aspect amongst other considerations to ensure we provide the best experience for our customers but content from other providers is not something we can fully control. Possibly customisation may help improve this issue slightly but I can’t promise this would always fix the problem for you.

@ClareD1979 wrote:

In terms of them covering the screen. The Sky team who provide subtitles for our Sky content do consider this aspect amongst other considerations to ensure we provide the best experience for our customers but content from other providers is not something we can fully control. Possibly customisation may help improve this issue slightly but I can’t promise this would always fix the problem for you.

I accept that the content comes from other providers, but the PRESENTATION of the content is done by Sky. If the presentation (huge titles, black backgrounds) etc comes from the providers then viewing the subtitles on a phone or iPad would be the same as on the TV but it's not. Viewing subtitles on a phone shows them in white right at the bottom of the screen and they have a transparent background. I don't see why Sky can do that on a video stream to a phone but not to a TV.

This message was authored by Blobloblob This message was authored by: Blobloblob

The Sky Glass lay list dashboard for F1 is terrible. If I click on F1 live, I have to scroll through every single race, qualifying and practice to get to the latest show. Surely the latest show should be the first on the scroll so you don't have to do this every time you catch up on a race or a qualifying session. 

This message was authored by MoreTeeVicar This message was authored by: MoreTeeVicar

Hi StaceD and others

So it has been mentioned many times, and each time a Sky employee thanks us for the feedback ands says its a good ideal. This has been going on for a long time.

But WHEN wull we have the option of pressing 1 BUTTON to display the current TV GUIDE?

Thank you

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @MoreTeeVicar

The new Sky Glass designs display the NOW and NEXT TV guide on the home screen with the ability to get to the TV guide in one press of the remote control and without the need to have a TV guide button on the remote control.

I do know the intention is to bring this feature to Sky Q but I don't have a date as to when this will launch.

Thanks

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Remember too that we have the mini guide.

Simply press the Select button while watching TV to bring it up. then press up or down to move through the channels, and left or right to scroll through the schedule on that channel.

Dave

Why do downloaded programs not contain subtitles?  That makes it very difficult for deaf people to view them!

-- Mike

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Myke+B - Subtitles are available on downloaded content. What were you trying to watch? Dave

According to wife it's things like Midsommer Murders, Whitechapel and other shows like that. Watching live she gets the subtitles but not when they're downloaded.

This message was authored by Richietv This message was authored by: Richietv

It has been just over a year since @JoeB72 posted his comment RE the difficulties of using the Sky Remote for those with Alzheimers / Dementia: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Accessibility/How-can-we-make-a-difference/m-p/3736295#M1282

With over 40 buttons, the remote is extremely difficult for many elderly people to use.

My mother has multiple sclerosis and will be moving into an assisted living facility soon. I'm concerned that she will be unable to operate Sky on her own (she has already started having issues remembering how to operate the remote) and I often have to step in to help her navigate this, as she forgets which buttons do what - because there are so many of them.

What changes have Sky made since JoeB72's comment / requests 13 months ago? To o paraphrase, they were:

1) A simplified Sky remote for people who are neurologically challenged - similar to the  Flipper Remote: https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/flipper-big-button-remote-control

2) Allow users to turn off the "menu" page as the first page you get when turning Sky on. This can a) be confusing; and b) is difficult to address when using remotes such as "Flipper".

3) Develop some way to control Sky from an alternative location (e.g. controlling my mother's TV from my own home 100 miles away).

Many Thanks,

Richie

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Hi, not all, in fact very few on- demand downloaded programmes have subtitles.

When I first contacted the RNID they have a campaign called Subtitle it now!

There is legislation called the Digital Economy Act 2017 that gives the Secretary of State the power to set limits to programmers to show subtitles.

Since 2017, this government has asked Ofcom to produce 2 reports as the best way forward, they received Ofcoms recommendations in July last year.

Still nothing has changed. All I can suggest is contact your MP and ask him/her to contact Department of Culture Media and Sport.

This message was authored by wrightfamily This message was authored by: wrightfamily

All On Demand shows should have subtitles if they are available on broadcast.

It would be good if videos (mp4, mkv etc) and subtitles (srt etc) could be played on the Sky Q box via the USB port i.e. function as a media player.

Casting via DLNA often has issues e.g. latency or subtitle compatibility problems.

It would be nice to have the bookmark and slow-mo features back.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion