Discussion topic: How can we make a difference?

This message was authored by milespower This message was authored by: milespower

Re: How can we make a difference?

Add compatibility with alexa devices like voice control and possibly even access hive security cameras through the Sky Q box.

With an ever changing technological world where homes are becoming smart homes i believe that one of the UKs leading suppliers of Audio-visual services should be following the changing world not behind it

StaceD
Topic Author
This message was authored by StaceD This message was authored by: StaceD

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks @milespower  great suggestion. 

This message was authored by Rog+llanon This message was authored by: Rog+llanon

For people with impaired vision the font size on guides etc is far too small. Is it possible for you to give an up date to provide the facility to increase the font size as was the case with Sky plus.

I am sure many viewers would find this helpful.

StaceD
Topic Author

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Rog+llanon  this one is definitely on the list, but I haven't got a confirmed date as yet. I'll keep you posted on our progress though 🙂

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Hi @StaceD. Great idea for a thread and I hope the comments on here go towards improving the system for those with accessability issues and disabilities.

Personally speaking, I think the remote and UI for Sky Q are the biggest problems that should be addressed first.

The accessibility remote looks like the old Sky remote, but doesn't function like it, which is really confusing. The button you used to press for TV guide doesn't do that any more. The button that used to be back-up is now the home button, so pressing it expecting to go back one step takes you out of everything. The back button takes you out of the menu completely instead of going back one step (when you remember that's the new version of the "back" button). The left arrow button is what has to be pressed to go back one step in the menu. The right arrow button is now the last channel button, despite right being instinctively associated with going forward, not back. The accessibility remote should not look like a Sky HD remote but not function like it. It should have loked like the new Q remote only bigger, with a grippable back and larger buttons. As is, it's a combination of both and its confusing. 

As for the UI, you have to press home > down > ok > ok (or home > down > right > right) just to get into the TV guide to start navigating it. I can't believe that was signed off on as the best method for customers. The main feature of the Sky guide should be a one button access to the TV listings first and foremost, it's the main thing people use Sky for, so why it takes 4 button presses to get into the TV guide is so strange and counterintuitive. There should be a TV Guide button and pressing it loads the guide instantly with BBC ONE (or the channel you are currently watching) highlighted and ready to be interacted with, not something you have to then go into further just to see whats on. 

The UI of Sky Q probably won awards for it's refreshing changes, but I think it's a step way too far for disabled customers from what they were used to previously and it has caused problems. I know my mother hates using it as she finds it too overwhelming and coupled with the accessibility remote and other UI changes, I (more often than not) am asked to do things on Sky for her because it confuses her and she loses patience with it. 

I would say the biggest benefit you could do would be to release an updated accessibility remote that looks like the Sky Q remote but with one button access to the TV guide and to have voice control, so those that are finding the UI too much can still just lift the remote and tell it to tune in to the chanel required to make navigating the system a lot easier and less hassle for them. As is, it's just a mash-up of several things and sadly doesn't do the job it should.

This message was authored by prescol This message was authored by: prescol

I agree with you the accessible remote control is confusing it looks like one of the old sky remotes but acts differently.

however I do not find rhe electronic program guide confusing as many of the people don't you TV Guide that often,,as we don't watch live TV Fun

often now. 

The electronic program guide is very similar set up to what is available on Netflix and Amazon Prime.. I do you find it a lot easier to navigate then other electronic program guides..

This message was authored by MoreTeeVicar This message was authored by: MoreTeeVicar

Hiya,

Not having either Netflix or Amazon Prime, I cannot comment on those.

The old Sky Box had a dedicated button that took you straight to the TV guide.

The net arrangement means that you have to press buttons about 5 times before you get to the TV guide.

I challenge anyone to say that this is an improvement !

So come on Sky, designate the unused Blue button to bring up the TV Guide.

StaceD
Topic Author

Posted by a Sky employee

This is fantastic feedback - thank you so much for taking the time to write it down. Would you be willing to record a little video about some of the challenges, so that we can bring it to life for our product teams? Let me know.

This message was authored by sniffermutt This message was authored by: sniffermutt

Why isn't there a multiple delete choice on Sky Q?  My Husband is bed bound and has bad eyesight, so I have to  delete what he's watched on Sky Q for him.  He has so many health problems, the last thing on my mind is the tv, and when I do remember, it takes me forever to delete what he's watched 'forever'!

This message was authored by prescol This message was authored by: prescol

I'm getting ready for winter am I assessability needs are greater during the winter period as it's dark and my pain increases. So this week I've make sure that my lamps and my LG TV works with Alexa. So I can turn off and on the devices without moving too much., only if needed.,

But I have discovered a shocking thing,,  sky Q  is ment to  be top of the range,  the super duper of devices, however it does not have 

Alexa or Google home skill. This is completely shocking that the sky Q box does not work with any other Smart devices..

Quite a few of the disabled people now have a  smart speaker. come on sky you're really good for other assessability features, you're currently lacking on this one.

Give us a present of an Alexis Skill during this Covid winter..

StaceD
Topic Author

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @sniffermutt  thanks for the question. I have checked with our resident Q experts and there isn't a way to select episodes from multiple series to delete, however there is a way to delete entire series and a suggestion for an easier way to delete items.

If you go to Recordings then manage, and then disk space, you can delete the full series recording, or you can press select on the title and it will bring up all the individual programmes in the series - this means you don't physically have to go into each individual programme page to delete. Let me know if that's any better. 

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Another thing you used to be able to do was hold down the rewind or fast forward button and the programme jumped to the start or the end instantly. Same for the play/pause button and being able to play back in slow motion. Having those features were very handy for those with disabilities and issues with the remote, to have them back would be great. 

This message was authored by Windy33 This message was authored by: Windy33

Subtitles on everything even sky store when you buy a film or program it would be nice to have subtitles. Also it would also be great if we can choice the colour the size the font etc of subtitle instead of having a big black.box that can sometimes cover half the TV screen up. If you can make that happen it would be great. 🙏🙏🙏

Windy ?
StaceD
Topic Author

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Rog+llanon  hope you're well? This one has been mentioned a lot 🙂  we're discussing it with our product teams in terms of what's possible. We'll come back as soon as we have any news. Thanks for letting us know

StaceD
Topic Author

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @prescol  great suggestion. I've put it to our product teams for their input. I'll keep you posted on what I find out. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion