Discussion topic: How can we make a difference?

StaceD
Topic Author
This message was authored by StaceD This message was authored by: StaceD

Re: How can we make a difference?

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Anonymous  this is a really useful feature. You can do this on Q but it's a bit different. The full article about using your Q remote is here if you've a voice control one. Let me know if you have any other version. The isection on navigation buttons tells you how to skip through the programme. Much faster than using the rewind/fast forward buttons. Hope that helps 🙂

• Press up whilst watching a recording, paused or rewound TV to bring
    up the progress bar, then press left or right to skip backwards or
    forwards through the show. Time skipped depends on the length of the show or how long you’ve been watching the channel e.g. one hour shows skip in 15 minute blocks.
StaceD
Topic Author

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks @Windy33  we are working super hard on subtitles at the moment and getting coverage across all our platforms is being worked on. I'll come back here as soon as I've got an update. 

This message was authored by Jezbot This message was authored by: Jezbot

Increased and improved subtitles would be my main request too. The lack of any subtitles at all on so much UHD content and Sky cinema in 2020, where accessibility shouldn't just be "a bonus" is frankly laughable. 
Additionally, where subtitles are available, the old blocky style that look like something from 1980's teletext really is embarrassing 

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I would agree on the look of the subtitles being something that could be improved. Sky have a lovely custom font and it's all over their boxes and TV channels. Why not use that for subtitles and allow users to select how tall or bold they want the subtitles to be and if they want a background to it or not?

StaceD
Topic Author

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Anonymous thanks for the feedback. We are working on the quality of our subtitles with the product team. I will get an update in January when we meet for our next session. I'll come back as soon as I know any more on next steps. 

This message was authored by Kieran+L This message was authored by: Kieran+L

Hi,

There are quite a few things I think sky could be doing better from an accessibility standpoint.

I am blind and find the lack of audio description on catch up and on demand services appalling.

Sky have this lovely stat on their accessibility page about how much programming is described, but this does not count for any on-demand content, whether that be from sky's own channels, or from bbc etc. Why should we as blind people rely on things being on the TV so we can record them with AD?

I also think sky are being left behind by not including a screen reading application for the main box / mini boxes. A lot of new TV's have this as standard, and it means that blind people are locked out of using a lot of features such as built-in apps (having AD on netflix / prime etc is great, but useless if blind people can't choose something to watch!) You are left  relying on the (not always perfect) voice controll for a lot of features. I think as a little touch there should be an option in the accessibility settings to add feedback sounds to the voice controll.

I also contacted the accessibility team about the fact that the sky go desktop apps are not accessible with a screenreader, but have not had a reply.

However I will give praise for the sky go iOS app, the work that has gone into that is great and I have no problem with it, apart from the afformentioned AD on on-demand.

I hope you consider some of the points I've brought up here.

Thanks.

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Kieran+L, thanks for the message.

Firstly, thank you for your praise for the Sky Go app on iOS, the team worked really hard on it so the positive feedback will be really appreciated. Apologies that your experience on the desktop version does not currently match up. I will take this feedback to the team and wee will look to make the necessary improvements.

On the subject of a screen-reader for the set top box, I'm delighted to say that we actually are working on this, and will post more news about it when we're ready. So stay tuned 🙂

I fully acknowledge that the lack of audio description on demand is not ideal, and we are working in the background on how we can bring AD to more of our platforms. If it helps, and in case you weren't aware, you can watch recorrded shows with AD in the Sky Go app on iOS and iPad OS, as well as in recordings on the set top box which you mentioned above.

Thanks again for the feedback and do please keep it coming.

Dave

This message was authored by Kieran+L This message was authored by: Kieran+L

That's fantastic news.

If you weren't aware also, the audio dscription trick for iOS works on the mac app as well. If you have AD on in your mac's system preferences live channels and recordings (if you can get them to play) will have descriptions.

This message was authored by ampc This message was authored by: ampc

Yes!

I'm also a visually impaired sky user.

Black on yellow or yellow on black are the only colours I see clearly.

We upgraded to sky Q I like the voice search but still have to get up to the TV then squint to try and work out what I'm looking at.

They have the one accessible theme, which isn't really that accessible at all.

I've had to re learn sky q I know it's  6 lines down on the planner if the voice stops working.

Subtitles are awful with sky.

Netflix Subtitles that you can change the size and font of are marvellous.

Something as simple as bold fonts on the planner would also make a difference. 

This message was authored by ClareD1979 This message was authored by: ClareD1979

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi,

Thank you so much for your feedback and we will pass this onto the product team working on these features. You will be pleased to hear that we are working on voice guidance which will help you navigate the STB and we hope to share more details of this soon. I'm also interested in your comments about the themes. Are you referring to the high colour contrast setting? if so, I wondered if you give me a few more details as to why this isn't accessible and what you would expect from themes? I agree bolded fonts would make a big difference and I'm very keen to see this feature on Sky Q.

Thanks. Clare

This message was authored by prescol This message was authored by: prescol

Hi

the high contrast is helpful but, it would be better if you could change the font colour, the majority of people with vision impairment find yellow writing on a black background more helpful..

and I'm with the previous correspondence that larger font would be helpful as well. with youview you can zoom up.

This message was authored by ClareD1979 This message was authored by: ClareD1979

Posted by a Sky employee

Yeah good point and this will also people with dyslexia. Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I've also got dyslexia as well as visually impaired, mmm  double whammy

thankfully Sky is got some new content this year which I'm surprised about, I've just finished watching discovery of witches can't wait for the third one.. and all new Will and Grace is finally here in the UK  yeah! . 

I've forgot to ask,

Dose Sky have beta testing/trialling  people? 

I occasionally test products and features for TalkTalk,  my ISP . I have tested new features and Apps on the youview retail box . For youview it self.

if Sky does have this facility I'll be quite willing to be a trialer. 

prescol

Posted by a Sky employee

I haven't seen that but i've heard its good. I will add it to my list! My husband has severe dyslexia and so I have to read all the subtitles out to him. I often wonder whether the font or the colour will help him too. I had to smile the other day because I just automatically read them out to him without thinking now and after I while I realised he had fallen asleep!! Ha ha!! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion