Discussion topic: How can we make a difference?

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Re: How can we make a difference?

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Windy33 Thanks for your interest. We don't have a panel up and running at the moment, but we'll make sure to post here on the forum if and when we are on the look out for people 🙂

indy33

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @prescol  Interesting idea for sure 🙂

Will pass it on.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Hi Dave. I tend to not use those sort of browser add-ons as they have a uniform behaviour over all websites, and most aren't set up correctly so text dissappears or images don't show because the site was designed to be light/bright. The only way it would work properly is it the actual website itself introduced a user selectable dark mode in their forum software. I understand Khoros, which Sky uses for this forum, does have add ons to change the colours available on the site which might help short of a full on dark mode. The 2nd post in this thread on Khoros's website gives details of it - https://community.khoros.com/t5/Khoros-Communities-Product/Communities-dark-theme/m-p/575591

Thankfuilly a lot of websites now offer a dark mode so browser add-ons don't need to be worried about. Hopefully the add-ons to the forum software can be considered to allow the users to select a more comfortable viewing option.

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Anonymous Thanks for the follow up on this. I've taken the request to the dev team, and it will be looked at.

We may come back to you at a later date for your thoughts if that's ok.

Dave

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Hi @DaveAccess thanks for that. Yes that's totally fine, would love it if something could be implemented however small to reduce the glaring brightness of these forums!

This message was authored by prescol This message was authored by: prescol

It would help a lot for people who are visually impaired or with other problems., if there was an option/feature in assessability area, when getting information up about a particular program or film then the information words was using the majority of the screen and the rest of the pictures and unnecessary content was taking away..

when trying to read the information on a particular program there is too much information and distractions for my eyesight to read the words as visually impaired and also dyslexic..

StaceD
Topic Author
This message was authored by StaceD This message was authored by: StaceD

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @prescol  it's not a feature that we currently have (to my knowledge) but we have made the TV preview smaller, don't know if that has helped? Good feedback - will pass into the team. 

It might also be worth trying our voice guidance feature which has recently been released. You can find our more about how to switch it on and use it here

Let me know what you think. 

I can't get the voice guidance, my box haven't had the update yet. 

Sky shouldn't done a press release and got everyone excited until they know when the boxes are going to be updated!!!

A month rollout is far too long.. I mean when software providers, or Microsoft, Apple, Google, do an update they do in a nearly worldwide update on the Pacific time and  day.

that's what I say a month rolled out of an update to a small group of boxes in a if particular country, uk, is far too long..

StaceD
Topic Author

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @prescol we are almost there with the roll out. I know it's taken us a little while but we really want to get it right for our customers and that means we're had to take it a bit slower than usual.

I'm having quite a few conversations about people who are visually impaired who are waiting for the voice guidance and I cannot understand why it's taking too long to do the updates. 

I can not understand it myself , when you are owned by an the largest America international media company call concast, why is it taking so long? 

The concast boxes in USA  have already got this facility and  they had it now for quite awhile..

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that it is now possible to force a software update on the Sky Q box in order to get the latest version, including Voice Guidance.
This is not necessary, as you will get it automatically by the end of April, but is an option if you wish to get it sooner.

Important: Please note though that unlike the automatic update, the manual method may be difficult without sighted assistance, so please do not attempt if you cannot get assistance if you run into problems. Our call centre agents cannot do this remotely. Please see two methods below.

Method 1:
- Go to Settings, then System Info and highlight Software version.
- Choose Setup and then select Software download.
- Your box will start to download the latest software. This can take up to 10 minutes.
- To check the status of the software download, go to Settings, then System info and highlight Software version.
- When it says "Software update successful" press the Standby button on your remote.
- When your box restarts, follow the on screen messages. You'll then be on the latest software version.

Method 2:
- Locate the Q button on the front of your Sky Q box.
- This is the larger button towards the middle of the panel. The other button on the front is the WPS button, located over to the right of the panel.
- Press this button in and hold it.
- Then switch the power off from the mains, keeping the button pressed in.
- After 10 seconds, switch the power back on.
- After a further 3 seconds, release the button. This should initiate the software update.
- Give it at least 10 minutes to download and complete, and follow any on-screen messages. You may require sighted assistance at this point.

StaceD
Topic Author

Posted by a Sky employee

This is fantastic news!

I have been doing both methods of software forcing updates, now and again to see whether I can get the latest update to my box, with no joy I'm still waiting..

Update to last post, just tried another force update and now I've got voice guidance, and the sun  is out. I'm going have a great weekend..

Posted by a Sky employee

@prescol I'm delighted to hear that. Enjoy and please do let us know what you think 🙂

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion