Discussion topic: How can we make a difference?

StaceD
Topic Author
This message was authored by StaceD This message was authored by: StaceD

Re: How can we make a difference?

Posted by a Sky employee

Delighted that's worked. Let us know what you think 

This message was authored by prescol This message was authored by: prescol

Anyone using voice guidance for the first time, I have noticed something.

if you turn on voice guidance through the settings it turns off Dolby digital surroundsound, but, if you turn off again Dolby digital doesn't come on automatically,  you have to manly select it in audio visual again.

however if you turn on voice guidance through the smart remote, with the speaking command turn on voice guidance. It doesn't affect the Dolby digital surroundsound it doesn't turn it off, so if you do decide to turn on voice guidance on or off I recommend using the sky Q remote..

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @prescol

I hope you're well and Voice Guidance is working well for you.

I meant to ask you. What specifically has led you to believe that Dolby 5.1 is still active if you switch on Voice Guidance via voice command?

For technical reasons, Voice Guidance can currently only operate when in stereo, so Dolby 5.1 has to switch off. The method used to enable Voice Guidance does not change that.

So would like to understand what exactly is happening on your box.

Many thanks,

Dave

This message was authored by Thondwe This message was authored by: Thondwe

So switched from an old Sky+ box to Sky Q - was hoping the subtitle experience would improve - nope - still missing from downloads across any  number of channels (Sky Witness, Alibi,) - especially annoyng that recording them from live broadcasts has them present - so they exist but are not added to the On Demand versions.

Anyway, new one the Disney+ App subtitles - are Minute!  This wasn't the case on our Roku version of the App....

This message was authored by JoeB72 This message was authored by: JoeB72

How can you make a difference?

Time for Sky to consider support for people with dementia & Alzheimer's Disease.

Sky has a "hand friendly" accessibility remote control but it still has 40 buttons. Ridiculously complex for people with dementias.

As a result I have been forced to buy a "Flipper" remote for my father (see attached).

After a long time I managed to get this to work so that he can control Sky Q & the TV with this 6 button remote.  

I have three points to make on behalf of people with dementias.

1) Please Sky start to consider developing a similar remote for people with dementias.  Accessing TV is very important for people inc this group of customers.

2) Create a simple Settings change allowing users to turn off the "menu" page as the first page you get when turning Sky on. This can a) be confusing; and b) is difficult to address when using remotes such as "Flipper".

3) Develop some way of family members being able to control Sky from distance ie not in same location.

Many thanks.

Joe

3EFF2A84-ABF5-4295-B932-CA69B8435F08.jpeg

This message was authored by ClareD1979 This message was authored by: ClareD1979

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi,

Thank you so much for posting this and we'll pass this information onto our product teams that are reviewing our remote controls.

This message was authored by r-ic-k This message was authored by: r-ic-k

@DaveAccessThis is PFMC84, just in case you want to come back to me at some point about the accessiblilty of the forums, dark mode or reduced brightness etc. I have had to create a new account.

@StaceDas above, in case you wish to send information about the customer panel / trials service that was mentioned previously. Many thanks.

What's going on? Why are my posts in this thread being deleted?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@r-ic-k wrote:

What's going on? Why are my posts in this thread being deleted?

Have you posted any others, apart from the one immediately before your latest post? I can't see any others I ypur profile.

This message was authored by prescol This message was authored by: prescol

Responding from a previous post

It's visually Confusing when  the menu comes up automatically. When first turning on the box. 
I haven't got dementia but I have got a vision impairment, where it takes few seconds to focus.,

When there is a lot of information on the screen it can takes  longer for my eyes to focus.
A lot of the time we know the channels which we want to go, to specially in the morning Iand in the evening so you don't need the menu. 

There should be a setting in the assessability where that menu feature can be turned off..

After that post was made I got a pop-up saying my post was marked as spam and I had to send a form off to dispute this. I guess that has been done for the above posts, but others I have made have been deleted also.

This message was authored by Myke+B This message was authored by: Myke+B

SImple request - move the subtitles to a constant position that doesn't obscure the program. Positioning has been poor for years with no improvements.

My idea for progressing this quickly?  Force ALL Sky employees to have subtitles displayed at all times with no option to remove it. Within a month there'll be a software update 🙂

Mike

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Myke+B 

As per my response on your other thread, this is definitely something we are aware customers are asking about.
What I can say is that it is being investigated. We are looking into how to ensure any improvements meet the wide range of needs for customers who use subtitles, while also meeting Sky’s regulatory obligations.
We don't have a timeline as yet, but will update here when we have more info to share.

This message was authored by mahcq This message was authored by: mahcq

Three obvious things for me.

1 - echoing others, I moved from + to Q. The accessible remote for Q was quickly abandoned. It doesn't replicate the features of the main remote; duesbt havd voice control and has a ludicrous amount of buttons. Only 2 less than the main remote.

2 - the programme lists emphasis is on programme images rather than text. I'm on a 50" TV and as someone with complex VIs I have to stand up and walk to the TV to identify what most programmes are. Add in the ludicrous amount of clutter and the small font sizes and it's not an enjoyable, accessible experience.

3 - I'd echo other comments about colour schemes and subtitles but I think ultimately it comes down to one thing, which is the inability to implement even the most basic customisation. I should be able to 

- pick from more than 3 menu font sizes as implemented in +.

- be able to choose subtitle size, justification and background (see Netflix).

- be able to customise and remove elements of the home and other screens. It's not that I simply don't care about Featured, Trending or Best Sellimg Films or programmes. It's that their presence actively prevents me from easily navigating, locating etc. 

- the emphasis on programme and film images over text makes the text that is there justly impossible to read. 
- being able to have multiple selections e.g. for deletion.

This message was authored by mahcq This message was authored by: mahcq

Apologies. Forgot to add one of the more obvious issues i.e. the lack of an app which allows me to set recordings and see what I have set. Neither the + app nor the Go app serve that function with a Q.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion