Discussion topic: How can we make a difference?

This message was authored by prescol This message was authored by: prescol

Re: How can we make a difference?

That's fine but you have to know what's coming on the TV to plan to record it for A.D.. 

if you come across something  which is half way through, or if someone recommends a film or a program at the moment you can't get it on catch up with A D. 

This message was authored by Thondwe This message was authored by: Thondwe

Agreed - the old Sky box could be managed via the Sky+ app, but now that is all gone - backward step.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Hi Clare,

Have a look at the TV guide on SkyQ. According to this NO news programmes, Sky or BBC have the subtitle symbol but are broadcasting subtitles. Sky sports news (401) has subtitle symbol, and showing them. Sky sports news(409) has no Subtitle symbol, but is showing them.

Perhaps someone from the Accessibility Department really needs to get a grip and provide people who really rely on subtitles and AD are given the correct information.

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Anonymous
Apologies I think your original subtitles query got lost in the subsequent AD conversation 🙂
For content on Sky's own channels, we have subtitles on over 90% of programmes, including on demand and catch up. We're aware we do still have gaps though, in particular in regards to UHD and Sky Store, but I can assure you we are working on these.
However my intention isn't to minimise your query, so if there are any specific Sky channels or shows that you were unhappy to see missing subtitles, please do let me know and I can at least ask the question.
Our platform does also allow for our third party broadcast partners to supply subtitles, though while we work with them and want to see as many shows as possible covered, we ultimately don't have control over the amount of content they provide.
Just over a year ago, we added subtitles to on demand content on Sky Go, and a couple of months ago, live content was added too. It's only Channel 4 content that's not yet working on Sky Go for background technical reasons, but we are working with them. So our subtitles offering is getting better all the time.
Also interested to read your point about the S symbol not being in the guide, and again in your most recent post. We will look into those examples. We generally provide whatever meta data the broadcaster gives us, and should also of course provide the S on any of our own channels where subtitles are available, so any examples where this isn't right we're happy to look into it.
Many thanks,
Dave

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Hi Dave,

thanks for the reply. I will admit Sky do provide more subtitles on their own programmes in catch up and on demand compared to other broadcasters.

However Sky History channel is lacking in subtitles.

I really hope someone looks at the programme guide, unless this is sorted out even planning to watch/ record a programme becomes a lottery.

Some of your third party partners who use your platform really do need to make more of an effort. I have emailed most of them over the lack of subtitles particularly on catch up etc. Their first reaction is to blame Sky. Alibi and Drama channels in particular were 2 of these. As I am in contact with the RNID I was able to point out that it was their responsibility not Skys' to offer subtitles.

Thank you for your help, just please sort out the TVGuide.

This message was authored by Barnards+Loop This message was authored by: Barnards+Loop

The biggest thing for me is allowing me to connect my Bluetooth headphones to my Sky Glass.  I'm hard of hearing and the Glass doesn't have ports to connect my loop system.  I've always used headphones for solo viewing, but the loop system for family movies.  As of right now, I can't use either and I'm forced to have a PC behind the TV (and forced to use Windows as a Linux user 😛 ) so that I can use Sky GO and watch stuff that way.

I know the Glass has bluetooth for the remote, and this change would make a tremendous impact for myself and people in the same boat.

Thanks

This message was authored by Greshr This message was authored by: Greshr

Apologies if already suggested in regards to the voice activation controls. 

• have the voice activation button set as a toggle instead of a hold as some people can struggle with holding a button. 
  • have a method of activation for the voice controls that does not use a button at all or using a large more accessible button such as something like a Buddy Button Switch that is over 6cm across. 
This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Greshr
Thanks for the suggestions.
So on Sky Glass you do not need to press a button to use voice control, instead you can say "Hello Sky" to wake it up.
That far field voice option is not available on Sky Q, but I will take the suggestion of lock instead of hold on the button back to the team.
Thanks,
Dave

This message was authored by ihlapl This message was authored by: ihlapl

I would like to echo the comments made about lack of subtitles on Sky History programmes.

I suspect that many older customers, like myself, get great enjoyment from programmes on the Sky History channels but the lack of subtitles can be a major problem.

I seem to remember the lack of subtitles was first raised in autumn 2020 and we were told there was likely to be an update on the matter in early 2021.  A year later I don't think there has been any update.

So please get Sky to ensure subtitled programmes are shown on Sky History channels

The sky Q accessible remote control is brilliant but it's lacking voice control facility., can you update the assessable remote control or, launch an Alexa skill for the uk 

This message was authored by LouisaE This message was authored by: LouisaE

1. Make it easier to speak to someone on the phone who has a bit of knowledge.

2. Enable your automated message to listen when a customer says she hasnt finished instead of cutting her off.

Platinum VIP very frustrated.

This message was authored by MaggieMegabyte This message was authored by: MaggieMegabyte

Accessibility

Increase in font size is a must, Sky are discriminating against visually impaired customers. Function is available on sky + but lost on sky q.   Surely not legal or at very least not ethical to discriminate?  Make a priority Sky - we pay enough.

This message was authored by MaggieMegabyte This message was authored by: MaggieMegabyte

A volume control is standard obviously for hard of hearing so why not an option to increase font for visually impaired. This is blatant accessibility discrimination and morally and ethically wrong against so many people suffering this disability.  Changing contrast is a poor remedy.

Before going over to Sky are used to have TV through TalkTalk with youview. And they allowed you to increase the font size quite large actually. I am so surprised that Sky can't get this basic feature available on their platforms. Not only for the visually impaired people but, also people who's  eyesight is deterioration  due to illnesses and age. 

On Sky News the other month they were saying that Doctors and opticians  are seeing an increase of young people with the deterioration  of sight,  due to the small print on their gadgets. So come on Sky do your bit enlarge the font. 

This message was authored by ClareD1979 This message was authored by: ClareD1979

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @MaggieMegabyte 

Thank you for your suggestions regarding increased font size. We are currently working on this feature at the moment, looking into a number of dynamic font size options and consulting with the RNIB in order to create the best experience for our customers.

I don't have any specific dates as to when this will be delivered but we will be doing some customer research in the next few weeks to gather some feedback on our proposed designs so please do send me a message if you would like to get involved in this research.

Thanks

Clare

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion