Discussion topic: How can we make a difference?

This message was authored by MaggieMegabyte This message was authored by: MaggieMegabyte

Re: How can we make a difference?

yes Claire - would be happy to engage in the research

This message was authored by Dannybhoi This message was authored by: Dannybhoi

Hi

I have a neuro diverse disorder that affects me with extreme anxiety being just one issue I have to deal with on a daily basis.  I am not too sure if this has been discussed, but I cannot communicate by phone verbally, as this does create significant anxiety.  I will procrastine befoere I make a phone call.  I would like to see a service that provides the ability to commuincate in writing - either by email or an online chat.  

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Dannybhoi,
Absolutely, we want to make sure everyone can contact us through their preferred method. We do have email and chat options to reach our accessibility customer service team.
Here's a link to the contact page:
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/contacting-sky-accessibility

This message was authored by mahcq This message was authored by: mahcq

Re: How can we make a difference

Coming back into this late but I fear my point has been misunderstood. I know the app allows you to set recordings on your box. What it dies not do is show you what you have set.

So for example, I have MOTD set to record via series link on BBC1 HD. If I scroll through to Saturday on the app there is nothing to indicate the programme is being recorded or that  there is a series link. 

It's hard to overstate how useless this is. The Sky Plus app always did this. Sky Go does not. 

I winced when I read this. This is the classic mistake big organisations make. Consult with a DPO rather than disabled users themselves. RNIB hsve some fundamental flaws in their approach on numerous fronts. Font sizes is but one. They take a generic approach to all sight loss and thus fail to represent many many people with sight loss by making sweeping statements about what is or is not acceptable. I would much rather see more direct user testing and dudcussiin.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mahcq wrote:

Coming back into this late but I fear my point has been misunderstood. I know the app allows you to set recordings on your box. What it dies not do is show you what you have set.

So for example, I have MOTD set to record via series link on BBC1 HD. If I scroll through to Saturday on the app there is nothing to indicate the programme is being recorded or that  there is a series link. 

It's hard to overstate how useless this is. The Sky Plus app always did this. Sky Go does not. 

@mahcq you can see what you have scheduled to record on Sky Go although you may have to have multiscreen to access it.

If you open Sky Go along the bottom once it has connected to your Q box there is a tab called recordings click on this when it has loaded your recordings along the top are categories such as most recent etc you can swipe on these categories and you will find scheduled which shows what you have scheduled to record 

Screenshot_20220504_202420_com.bskyb.skygo.jpg

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by ClareD1979 This message was authored by: ClareD1979

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @mahcq 

Its very important to us that we work with both the charity and our customers to get the feature just right throughout the design and development phases.

As mentioned before, if this feature is something that would benefit you and you want to get involved in the research then please do send me a DM.

Thanks

Clare

I don't have multi screen and never will. The options you show simply do not exist in the Sky Go app on iOS. If they're available only for multi screen users that is plainly ludicrous.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mahcq wrote:

I don't have multi screen and never will. The options you show simply do not exist in the Sky Go app on iOS. If they're available only for multi screen users that is plainly ludicrous.

@mahcq ok I am using an android phone and as I have multiscreen then unfortunately I cannot confirm if this is available to non multiscreen users as well 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

Unfortunately working with generic charities like RNIB is a nice tick box exercise but leads to incredibly bad practice. They've a black and white view on what constitutes large print which is ridiculous to most people with sight loss for whom the definition is meaningless. They have similarly rigid views with regard to what makes good subtitles and it's an approach which ill serves all concerned.

Have tried to DM you re involvement in user testing but my brief text is being rejected for using a "bad word". There is no bad language or anything in it. Just a statement that you can count me in for user testing; explaining that I'm registered sight-impaired and providing my email address. Extremely frustrating. 

This message was authored by ClareD1979 This message was authored by: ClareD1979

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi, I've just sent you a DM but if that doesn't work then I'll get one of the team to reach out to you tomorrow to get all your details.

Thank you so much for offering to get involved. Getting insight from our customers is very important to us.

Thanks

Clare

Well that was bizarre. Sky DMs think my email address contains bad words when it patently doesn't. 

This message was authored by prescol This message was authored by: prescol

There's a saying within the VI community for RNIB  really do not care about blind people. 

localise charities, the blind veterans, and guide dogs are more expected within the community. 

I do go along with the previous post I wish organisations asked their customers first who to consult. 

Really nice to hear someone else say it. I'm constantly astonished how little RNIB know on multiple fronts:

- they insist large print is 16 point sans serif. This flies in the face of lots of brilliant research showing that firstly people need what they need no matter what you call it and secondly that 14 point sans serif will suffice for organisations. 
- they insist people cannot be registered in circumstances where they can be. I speak as someone  who very much had that experience. 
- their advice and form filling for benefits is full on terrible. No sense that everyone with the same condition nevertheless has ebrureky different experiences or needs. Nope, let's fill it in for "generic blind person". 
- ironically the partially-sighted think they're appallingly served by the RNIB. 

- even more ironically they hsve a big attitude issue with invisible impairment. You're not relevant to them if you've no cane, dark glasses or a dog.

- terrible on road safety. They insist on tactile paving at crossings being the one colour only with no regard to the fact that it's also supposed to provide contrast with the surrounding paving. 
- not willing to go into bat for the research which shows that subtitles are better left justified than central.

I could say more but don't want to take this off topic. Suffice to say they sell themselves brilliantly to other organisations as the voice of us. I'd rather Sky spoke to us but also the smaller charities who represent specific conditions. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion