Discussion topic: Simple Menu for Dementia

This message was authored by NuttyNightBird This message was authored by: NuttyNightBird

Simple Menu for Dementia

My mum who is physically disabled and has dementia is no longer able to navigate the complex sky menu.

She has always watched the same few sky channels all day every day, but she is struggling more and more with the busy layout and pictures. She gets very confused and constantly calls for help because she can't find what she is looking for. She can't use the channel codes either ie "501". 

she has her own TV and stream boxes in 2 rooms. Is 
there a way to customise the menus on just her stream boxes, so she only sees her favourite channels and nothing else? We have high contrast on under accessibility but it hasn't helped and I can't see any other settings?

Or is there a programmable remote to put on a favourite channel by pressing a single button, and where those buttons can be customised (by us) with a channel name or logo ie. Sky news. 

Thanks. Please help!

All Replies

This message was authored by StellaSS This message was authored by: StellaSS

Re: Simple Menu for Dementia

Hi,

I can't see that you have had replies to this as I am currently searching for a solution. Mum uses the mini box but downloads tons of stuff (& records the news 24/7 on series link). I want her to only be able to access the tv guide - ours seems to open automatically on recordings or home so she selects from there. Any help please???

This message was authored by UrbanSpaceman This message was authored by: UrbanSpaceman

Dementia TV

Why is there no Dementia TV? What is needed is an actual separate TV that can be used with a basic On/Off, Volume and Channel handset. Very simple. The set up of the stations would be similar to selecting "favourites", but rather than channels, programmes could be chosen, then all the client needs to do is flick from channel to channel like the old pre digital tvs. 

There are millions of users who need this service. Sky really is missing out. 

Don't clutter the screen with various icons (that could be done via app or secondary remorte). Just basic click and watch. Simple for Dementia sufferers.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Dementia TV

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@UrbanSpaceman wrote:

Very simple. 

@UrbanSpaceman 

If it would be very simple (and cost effective) why haven't competitors designed this? 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by jonboy10 This message was authored by: jonboy10

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same problem with my dad who has dementia. I can't believe a huge company like Sky can't offer any kind of simplified programme to make life easier for the elderly or those with disabilities. 

This message was authored by Becky371 This message was authored by: Becky371

This would be an amazing feature! We would happy pay the subscription fee for this kind of thing allowing my mum the flexibility of watching more than just basic Freeview channels 😒 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Becky371 wrote:

This would be an amazing feature! We would happy pay the subscription fee for this kind of thing allowing my mum the flexibility of watching more than just basic Freeview channels 😒 

While not the same as a dedicated TV or viewing platform like Sky a simplified remote may help: https://flipperremote.com/

This message was authored by Becky371 This message was authored by: Becky371

Thanks @Mark39  we do have a doro remote but just doesn't give her the selection of TV that sky would she pretty much watched itv, gold and the movie channels now she only has access to itv of the ones she likes which is a shame but the remote is a good send and the only way she is able to navigate the TV without needing someone to do it for her

This message was authored by collinb This message was authored by: collinb

Having set channels as favourites then my remote control works as you suggested 

ie favourite list 1 BBC1, 2 BBC 2,etc 7 Racing TV so I just press 7 for Racing TV

Collin

This message was authored by collinb This message was authored by: collinb

I have set up favourite channels on our SkyQ box

to be found just above the TVguide in the menu

ie favourite list

1 BBC1,

2 BBC 2,etc

7 Racing TV    so I just press 7 for Racing TV, 15 for ITV4

isnt this what you are looking for

Collin

This message was authored by Blarion This message was authored by: Blarion

I too would like to see a simple menu structure for elderly users! My mother struggles between channel numbers and the incessant Sky prompts for the PIN number. So I spend a lot of my calls with my mother trying to establish where she is on her TV and what she has pressed. 

so what would be very welcome:-

a) simple menu structure 

b) turn off the pin 

This message was authored by Dementiacarer This message was authored by: Dementiacarer

No pin and a simple menu would be life changing for us 

This message was authored by Dementiacarer This message was authored by: Dementiacarer

Should have added the favourites menu is just too hard for my Dad to find. What makes things even worse is that he has Sky Stream and hardly any of the tv numbers match those in the newspaper/radio times. Looking at the Sky tv guide on the computer is just too complicated for him. 

This message was authored by Blarion This message was authored by: Blarion

I have had to create a simple cheat sheet that has been laminated, so that my mum can use it as she sees fit on her little table. Hopefully this will help her. But in the meantime I wonder if anyone from Sky R&D monitor these forums? 

a simple menu structure is not difficult. Apple and Android include with their systems. 

This message was authored by Spb This message was authored by: Spb

I loved that answer, dementia is a horrible thing I've had to move in and and give up my personal life with a loved one, luckily we just switched the tv on he sat in his recliner chair and didn't really have a clue as to what he was watching never mind the speaking to shampoo bottles and peeing on the carpet 

this may not be of any help to the topic in fact it's not and I wish I could find a solution!

maybe it's a business venture if intact is!

@UrbanSpaceman 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion