Discussion topic: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t be s

This message was authored by kennyrb This message was authored by: kennyrb

Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t be s

The massive subtitles on Sky are intrusive and way over the top. Why can't they be like Netflix or Amazon or YouTube?

I'm deaf but not blind. 
kennyrb

Best Answers
kennyrb
Topic Author
This message was authored by kennyrb This message was authored by: kennyrb Answer

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

It's all very well being awarded 10 badges and 52 likes for my discussion on Sky's totally unacceptable subtitles which have caused widespread dissatisfaction for years. But Sky have done absolutely nothing to correct this urgent requirement to address the issue. I'm stone deaf in one ear and have severely impaired hearing in my good ear. I am totally dependent on  subtitles. A vast mumber of Sky Community have been complaining about the ridiculous large size of the subs, their intrusive position on the TV screen and the solid black background  box which adds to  the insult especially when they obliterate the faces of zoomed in presenters of news programmes etc.  Just look at Papers on BBC as an example of this infuriating issue. The subtitles in their present form are also a major contributory factor of of burn-in on OLED screens. 
I implore you once again  to take some positive action to rectify this everlasting problem. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by ijkijk This message was authored by: ijkijk

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

this is my number 1 issue with sky as wife is deaf.. we have a large tv and subtitles dominate... 

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @kennyrb  and @ijkijk  and thanks for the feedback. Changes to subtitles is not on a firm roadmap as yet, but is certainly something we would like to look at. Can you let me know more about what you would like and expect to see? Are you currently on Sky Q or sky+?

Hi,

The same functionality as Netflix be great where the user can choose font size and if require background box on or off. Colour of font may help with some films. Once set the user defaults to apply to all channels when subtitles turned on.

I am a sky Q user

looking forward to a future solution and happy to beta test for you...

Ian

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks Ian. We don't currently have customer beta testing on Sky set top boxes, but if that changes, or there is any way to involve you in the future, we will definitely get in touch, thanks.

You can if you wish beta test the Sky Go app, which does now have subtitles. If interested, check out:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/Sky-Go-mobile-beta/td-p/3494344

kennyrb
Topic Author

I have a SkyQ2 box. As previously mentioned in my last post. I would really love to see subtitles similar to those provided by Netflix, YouTube and particularly Amazon Prime whereby you can choose the size and colour of the subtitles. Sky should also look  at the location of the subs which are ridiculously placed almost mid screen, frequently across the mouths of zoomed in speakers.  I am furious that this major problem has not been addressed. I am very hearing impaired and rely on subs a great deal. I am joined by many other Sky customers who have been complaining about this for years. 

Also the ability to position them on screen be useful. watching Ant n Dec at moment and subtitles are in MIDDLE  of screen... aaaargh

This message was authored by Mick8491 This message was authored by: Mick8491

Subtitles not on a firm roadmap! I, just like countless other Sky subscribers, have been complaining about the lack of editable subtitles for at least two years. The size of the text and black banners they appear in is far too intrusive. I have to have subtitles on almost every programme I watch but my wife doesn't need them at all. This is always a bone of contention when the subtitles cover an integral part of the screen, this usually ends with us turning off the subtitles and me losing interest in the programme. How much better would it be to be able to edit the text and banner similar to the way Amazon allows it to be done. Come on Sky, get with the 21st Century.

This message was authored by Mick8491 This message was authored by: Mick8491

@DaveAccess 

Thanks for contributing to this discussion and if you were to trawl through the past two years comments regarding Sky subtitles you will find plenty of valid suggestions on what subscribers would like.

I have heard that because so many of the programmes Sky shows are third party that editable subtitles are not possible. However, there are several made for Sky programmes around and the subtitles are big and chunky.

I recently watched an excellent Sky Atlantic show 'Zero Zero Zero'. This show was set in three continents and at least three languages. When a scene was set in Mexico the language used was mostly Spanish and the English subtitles were perfect. They were unobtrusive but perfectly legible. The same again when in Italy and Italian spoken but when a few English words were said, up jumped the white on black blocky text. This show proves it is possible to use decent subtitles so why can't it be done for more programmes?

kennyrb
Topic Author

I couldn't agree more. Most foreign languages have normal unobtrusive subtitles on Sky movie channels etc. But as soon as English is used we're back to the monstrous offending ones.  Sky make no effort to place their subs at the bottom of the TV screen.  For some unaccountable reason they prefer to dump them mid screen. Watching "Papers" on the BBC news channel is an example whereby the headlines are obliterated along with the presenters' mouths. 

This message was authored by BlueJD This message was authored by: BlueJD

@DaveAccess 

Couldn't agree more with the above thread. I have also complained to Sky customer service a few times about subtitles being far to big and user cannot change the font size etc like you can with Netflicks and other streaming services, even iPlayer !

Come on Sky, it can't be difficult to allow this feature so put some urgency in giving it to us !!!!

ps: I am a Sky Q user, with a hard of hearing wife who is getting fed up with me complaining every time she needs subtitle on, which is most of the time.

kennyrb
Topic Author

Come on Sky!  I've been a patient customer for 12 years and am still awaiting some improvement regarding your enormous, badly-positioned subtitles.   In spite of the large volume of continuing complaints, Sky has chosen to ignore our desperate plea to address this fundamental issue which causes those of us with defective hearing (and our long suffering normal hearing partners) to tolerate many basic programmes such as the News channels etc.

KennyRB    

This message was authored by SDR This message was authored by: SDR

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Personally I need them as big as this. We need a customisable fonts.

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Glass - No Puck
kennyrb
Topic Author

The suggestion to have customisable subtitle fonts would be an admirable solution.  

KennyRB 

This message was authored by BlueJD This message was authored by: BlueJD

@DaveAccess 

Please escalate this Subtitle Font Size and Position issue to higher management to get fixed urgently!

It has been years now since users have been complaining about this and nothing seems to be done.

Thanks John

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion