Discussion topic: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t be s

This message was authored by cliveyboy3 This message was authored by: cliveyboy3

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

Come on Sky. Sort out the subs. Amazon or Netflix style would be perfect. 

This message was authored by magpies00 This message was authored by: magpies00

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

I am delighted to have discovered this thread.  I often have to resort to subtitles  and hate the way they obliterate most of the bottom of the picture. Being able to personalise them on other streaming  services is a godsend. I find it hard to believe people gave been asking for the option to edit for so long and nothing has been done yet.   Come on Sky  -  please! 

This message was authored by Bernadette24 This message was authored by: Bernadette24

I've only recently needed to turn on subtitles for my husband but he's actually made to feel embarrassed by the size of them! Actually ridiculous when you consider the options available on other platforms such as iplayer, Netflix, DisneyPlus and Amazon Prime. Sky is such an advanced and excellent product but seriously let down by this basic function. I can't believe it isn't a priority and can't believe it would be difficult when other platforms already  offer far superior options. 

This message was authored by Mick8491 This message was authored by: Mick8491

Sky doesn't seem to monitor this forum. Most contributors have been complaining about the size of  Sky's subtitles for three years without reply. Before someone says 'Try the accessibility route' been there done that , no T shirt !

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mick8491 wrote:

Sky doesn't seem to monitor this forum. Most contributors have been complaining about the size of  Sky's subtitles for three years without reply. Before someone says 'Try the accessibility route' been there done that , no T shirt !

Wrong DaveAccess monitors this forum

This message was authored by SDR This message was authored by: SDR

@Mick8491 wrote:

Yes, but some of us need large subtitles as our eyesight is also poor. What we need are customisable fonts.

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Glass - No Puck
This message was authored by Mick8491 This message was authored by: Mick8491

So this forum is monitored but the monitor doesn't seem to answer any of the issues raised. 

This message was authored by rit81 This message was authored by: rit81

Have had sky q for a few days now. Have it mainly for the sports, regular tv is an added bonus. Switched from virgin - was undecided whether to stick to virgin, go with sky or internet only and stream everything. Figured I'd give sky a go.

Last night watched an on demand program. Put the subtitles on and brought back memories of the 90s. What is this!? How did it ever get past *any* product team at Sky. Have they all been living in a cave for the past decade!

Will see out the 18 month contract but I'm definitely going internet only / streaming past that. No need for a big sky contract thinking "it's better for tv" since....... it isn't. The 30-60s lag on streaming sports is bearable.

This message was authored by Paul+McDer This message was authored by: Paul+McDer

Cant understand who this would be such a big change to process and should have been on the roadmap years ago. I struggle with some shows but putting the subtitles on just dominates the screen especially with the blacked out background.  If I can watch the same show on an alternative platform I do for this reason

woukd appreciate more clarity on when this can be added as it affects many users and subscribers. 

This message was authored by Luca+G This message was authored by: Luca+G

I have to agree subtitles are quite basic. Especially on a large screen with uhd the subtitle font is just way to big. Can't be that hard to code a few different font size options. My hi max box which is ten years old can manage it but my sky q box which is less than ten days old can't.   That's pretty poor in anyones standard.  Disappointed to say the least. 

This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

@SDR wrote:

Personally I need them as big as this. We need a customisable fonts.

And posisioning would be good too. So if watching a program/movie with black bars (top/bottom) the subtitles could be placed there to take less of the space of the content.

This message was authored by Revert This message was authored by: Revert

So true. These subtitles are a joke. Far too large and why on earth are they in the middle of the screen?!!! Please put them at the bottom like every other provider. 

This message was authored by Revert This message was authored by: Revert

March 2021 and still the problem exists!!!! Why?

This message was authored by mr.tickle This message was authored by: mr.tickle

@Revert wrote:

March 2021 and still the problem exists!!!! Why?

April 2022 now! And still the same 😞

--
I do not have a sig other than this message. Sky+HD.
Enjoying HDR with 4k Blu-Ray, Amazon, YouTube and gaming since 2016.
This message was authored by Harlekwin This message was authored by: Harlekwin

Come on Sky, this needs to change.

Be a bit more proactive.

To be clear what you need in my opinion is simple.

• Variable or choice of font size
  • Choice of font colours or contrast options
  • Choice of black, white, or transparent background

Sky has been around a long time and this should just be a standard part of your accessibility package.

Regards,

—Nigel

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion