Discussion topic: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t be s

This message was authored by Ferengi This message was authored by: Ferengi

Re: Subtitles ... how did you access them on Paramount?

Can't find a subtitle option for Paramount app. ? on remote not working. 

This message was authored by Sadman2 This message was authored by: Sadman2

Re: Subtitles

When watching a program press pause, then up arrow, select speech bubble top right hand corner, then language, then play.

Thanks for the info Sadman.  Agree with you the subtitles are too small for a big screen 😂

Did you get a fix for the subtitles size?

No still waiting to chat community support team.

This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Update - We have looked into this on a private chat and at present it doesn't appear to be possible to adjust the size of the subtitles

There needs to be a fix though if customers are to get the best out of Paramount.  I rely on subtitles to cope with the amount of mumbling in a lot of movies and shows.  Just not feasible to watch Paramount on a large screen when naturally sitting further away from the screen, and I don't have any binoculars 😂.

Being hard of hearing I shall be giving Paramount a miss unfortunately. Seeing how things normally proceed I think it'll be years before this gets fixed and we'll not know when it is unless we're told.

This message was authored by Sarah+Yorksher This message was authored by: Sarah+Yorksher

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

Hi

I agree with the OP about font size.

it is customisable in other apps like BBC iPlayer  etc.

having searched for a way to change the size (which is obtrusive and obscures a lot of the picture) it seems that this used to be a possibility with Sky. If this is the case surely it can be done now.

yes, some people need it larger but some of us don't.

Please give us a choice, Sky!

This message was authored by Revert This message was authored by: Revert

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

That's the same reply they've been giving for several years so they are obviously not in a hurry to do anything about it!!!

As a footnote I dug out an old firestick plugged it in downloaded the app , and the subs are ok, relatively cheap option.

This message was authored by BlueJD This message was authored by: BlueJD

I have formally submitted formal written complaints to Sky and their Accessibilty team a couple of times over the last couple of years about this issue and their last response on 6th Apr'22 (see below) is not very helpful - I will now be writing a complaint to Ofcom about this since absolutely no urgency by Sky to address the issue !

Note: Writing is better than emailing complaints - people take more notice of written complaints !

Unfortunately there is no quick fix to change the subtitles however we understand that customers have asked about making changes to how the subtitles are displayed for them This is currently under investigation. We are looking into how to ensure any improvements meet the wide range of needs for customers who use subtitles, while also meeting Sky’s regulatory obligations. We don't have a timeline as yet, but will update when we have more to share.

I have forwarded your suggestions, including the four points listed in your previous email and also your contact information to the team behind implementing changes to our features.

I know its frustrating that we do not have a date for any changes to come into affect at the moment but I wanted to ensure you that it is definitely a work in progress.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Accessibility team on 03442 410 333 , where one of our advisors will be happy to help .We also have a messaging service you can use whilst going about your day, simply click on the following link https://www.sky.com/help/articles/contacting-sky- accessibility My colleague will respond to your message and will reply to you whenever you reply taking away the need to be sitting on the phone or waiting on a reply from an email.

Kind regards

Sarah-Jane

Sky Accessible Customer Service

Was looking forward to watching Suspect on Channel 4.  No subtitles at all!  It's about time Sky acknowledged their responsibility to ensure subtitles are available for all TV especially when it's not live.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ferengi wrote:

Was looking forward to watching Suspect on Channel 4.  No subtitles at all!  It's about time Sky acknowledged their responsibility to ensure subtitles are available for all TV especially when it's not live.

That would be Channel 4's responsibility.

This message was authored by MarkandSue This message was authored by: MarkandSue

Subtitles too high

Please can anyone tell me why suddenly subtitles seem to be across the middle of the screen instead of further down? It's so annoying as it blocks out important parts of the picture on lots of occasions. I'm hard of hearing and rely on subtitles as well as lip reading. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion