Discussion topic: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t be s

This message was authored by Mick8491 This message was authored by: Mick8491

Re: Subtitles ... how did you access them on Paramount?

Hi,

When the program starts, press pause. Then look for the small text box in the top right corner of the TV screen. Use the directional arrows to to up and select this box. You should get a 'drop down' menu. Navigate to your desired choice and select. An arrow will appear beside the choice. Then navigate left to exit the menu. Navigate down to the play symbol and select. You should now have subtitles.

This message was authored by Bernadette24 This message was authored by: Bernadette24

Re: Subtitles ... how did you access them on Paramount?

The problem isn't accessing subtitles on Sky, it's the size of them and the 'all over the screen' positioning of them and the fact that you can't change the size - they're huge and take up so much of the screen. Sky use Teletext as the format which in my view is archaic. The instructions you've given isn't how you access subtitles on Sky, it's one of the other streaming platforms, most of which have adjustable subtitle sizes. 

This message was authored by waynster This message was authored by: waynster

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

I completely agree. I was watching a program on restoration the other day and needed the subtitles due to tinitus masking some frequencies.

The presenter would point or show objects and points of restoration but I could not see them due to the massively intrucive subtitles.

They also appear in the middle and top of screen where there's detail to be viewed. All other services allow viewers to edit subtitles to suit. Why has sky - one of the more expensive services - not sought to do this?

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@waynster wrote:

I completely agree. I was watching a program on restoration the other day and needed the subtitles due to tinitus masking some frequencies.

The presenter would point or show objects and points of restoration but I could not see them due to the massively intrucive subtitles.

They also appear in the middle and top of screen where there's detail to be viewed. All other services allow viewers to edit subtitles to suit. Why has sky - one of the more expensive services - not sought to do this?

@waynster wrote:

Are these other services you are are refering to Global services that have to cater for many different countries regulations? ie Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc...

@Annie+UK 

I did not understand your question.

Furthermore;
the new streaming service, Paramount, a free addition to my subscription, thanks Sky, has excellent subtitles. Small and unobtrusive, ideal for my family. 
Paramount can do it why not Sky?

This message was authored by Ferengi This message was authored by: Ferengi

My issue is that too many shows on channels streamed through Sky don't have subtitles. I think Sky should do more to encourage or insist that subtitles are available throughout their programming.   Channel 4 is one example of a business that could do better.

This message was authored by Sarah+Yorksher This message was authored by: Sarah+Yorksher

In my experience (UK) we have the BBC that even gives a choice off the size of subtitles, so not only "global"

what's more, Sky are paid handsomely for a wide audience and have previously had different subtitle settings so it is clearly possible.

Of late I have noticed another change in the subtitles which can have them across the screen so even more obscuring.

This message was authored by waynster This message was authored by: waynster

Not relevant. Prior to Sky Glass, the problem did not exist.

Most broadcasters and content makers follow the same compliance on an international set of guidance.

This message was authored by Unders2 This message was authored by: Unders2

I agree completely. I implore Sky to do something to give an option to have reduced size sub titles.  I have the Sky+ box.  Please, please do something: the sky's not the limit!

This message was authored by mr.tickle This message was authored by: mr.tickle

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Unders2 wrote:

I agree completely. I implore Sky to do something to give an option to have reduced size sub titles.  I have the Sky+ box.  Please, please do something: the sky's not the limit!

Believe in better.

Don't actually get it though: just "believe" in it and pay for it 😉

--
I do not have a sig other than this message. Sky+HD.
Enjoying HDR with 4k Blu-Ray, Amazon, YouTube and gaming since 2016.
This message was authored by Gbullen This message was authored by: Gbullen

Subtitles on sky are ridiculous! Why no option to change font? Or just make the smaller? 

This message was authored by HelenPandB This message was authored by: HelenPandB

I see this topic has been ongoing for some time and there has been no effort to make any improvement. I'm not deaf but find a number of TV shows have increasingly mumbled dialogue and the subtitles are helpful (well they are on Netflix / Prime / any other service). They are so huge and intrusive, I can only imagine how annoying for those who are totally dependent on them. You also still don't have subtitles with purchases at all. Does Sky not care about Accessibility issues? These don't seem like they should be huge problems to deal with and I've seen the same complaints on different threads going back months and years - get your act together Sky!

This message was authored by MacFreegle This message was authored by: MacFreegle

Totally agree. I finally upgraded to Sky Q and now use the Amazon App to watch quite a bit of stuff. I find many films have mumbled dialogue so use subtitles at times but too annoying on Sky so have to keep switching on/off. Was amazed to discover Amazon had five different sizes of text and different fonts. Come on Sky get your finger out

Jim

This message was authored by Bernadette24 This message was authored by: Bernadette24

@MacFreegle It doesn't look like they have any intention of sorting out this issue any time soon. Seems to me that they pretty much ignore this forum. I've even emailed them and their response was feeble telling me that they use teletext (ancient!)  because it was the only format that worked on their system. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion