Discussion topic: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t be s

This message was authored by PaulBroo This message was authored by: PaulBroo

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

Simply pitiful Sky. This issue has been dragging on for far too long. I'm a new customer using Sky Stream and just a couple of days into my cooling off period. Give me a reason to stay with you (e.g if youre finding it difficult - we commit to an upgrade delivering customisable subtitles by end of February 2023)  rather than return my puck and terminate my contract.

This message was authored by Daviedee This message was authored by: Daviedee

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

Whole heartedly agree with all the comments on the thread, wife is partially deaf and relies on the subtitles to enjoy watching the TV but the subtitles are far too large and obstructive. I love the comments about headphones and turn the TV up...... most people who are partially deaf lose the ability to hear a range of sounds so it doesn't matter how loud the tv is up. 
ALL other main stream providers have the options to adjust the subtitles font, size, transparency, colour, position and background. Why can't SKY programmers have a sprint session to iron this issue out and resolve the subtitle problems we as paying customers have been asking for for over 5 years? Whilst also addressing the complete lack of subtitles on UHD channels/stream. 

I have sky stream and would love to have a bit of confidence that the people who effectively pay the wages to Sky employees have a say in how the service is IMPROVED and our NEEDS are considered rather than ignored

This message was authored by MacFreegle This message was authored by: MacFreegle

On a similar line with Sky Q, when you pause playback, why does one third of the screen get covered up.

I'm trying to read something on lower part of the screen but when I pause it's all blurred. 

Why do you need all that space for a little time bar????

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MacFreegle wrote:

On a similar line with Sky Q, when you pause playback, why does one third of the screen get covered up.

I'm trying to read something on lower part of the screen but when I pause it's all blurred. 

Why do you need all that space for a little time bar????

@MacFreegle 

One button to press. Press the dismiss button once and the pause bar disappears. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Mick8491 This message was authored by: Mick8491

Thanks @MacFreegle that's very useful. 👍

This message was authored by AussieD1 This message was authored by: AussieD1

When will Sky change the subtitle font it is terrible?

The subtitles on Sky are dreadful.  There are discussions going back years and still nothing has changed.  Is there any plan Sky to alter the subtitles so they are not so dominant on the screen.  It completely ruins what you are watching. Amazon and Netflix subtitles are brilliant.  Sometimes it is really difficult to understand what the actors are saying on a show and so we like to have the subtitles on.  But Sky's subtitles are so large and intrusive that they take over the viewing aspect completely ruining the show.

People have litterally be complaining about this for years and yet Sky have done nothing about it.  Is there a plan to change them or allow users to customise the subtitles.  That would be brilliant. 

This message was authored by SF10 This message was authored by: SF10

So fed up with the Sky subtitles taking half the screen up ! Please sort it out! we end up putting Prime on when my son is here because i miss to much if i turn them off on sky 

On prime you can alter the size!  Bloody ridiculous, how much are you charging for sky!! ?? Are Virgin's as big 🤔 

This message was authored by magpies00 This message was authored by: magpies00

This reply to my tweet to Sky may be of interest though I won't hold my breath.

Good afternoon Terri,

I will pass on your suggestion and you never know what may happen.

Thanks, Laura.

This message was authored by skidsen This message was authored by: skidsen

Please can you create an option to choose the subsitle size. They are far too large and there are enough of us complaining over the past few years. Come on sky! 

This message was authored by Awadhesh This message was authored by: Awadhesh

Sky stream subtitles are very big and intrusive. How can we change font and text size?

Sky stream subtitles are very big and intrusive. How can we change font and text size?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Sky stream subtitles are very big and intrusive. How can we change font and text size?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Awadhesh wrote:

At the moment you can't customise subtitles.

This message was authored by Mick8491 This message was authored by: Mick8491

@magpies00 ,

your response was dead on and so was theirs.

i.e. don't hold your breath, you'll never know!

Sky seems completely unconcerned about the state of their subtitles. Three years and counting that I first submitted a request to the accessibility help. Lots of excuses but no action.

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

Tried subtitles on Britbox, now some on itvX, Netflix and prime, all external apps I have tried with those mentioned and others not named, can attest to their structure of visual aids is good. Free view subtitles too. They're generally good! 

Sky has always been slow on that front for subtitles and then the sign language fellow or woman can be obstructive for general programs. But I think that's more a broadcaster issue on that one. 

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
This message was authored by slb1904 This message was authored by: slb1904

Any updates on subtitles? It's a standard feature and can be coded in a couple of weeks... why so slow? One reason I probably won't be keeping Sky Cinema after the trial.

This message was authored by Kirsty+S27 This message was authored by: Kirsty+S27

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

I understand the frustration regarding the inability to change the size of the subtitles on the content. Sky works closely with stakeholders like the RNIB and RNID on our subtitling experience however we are continuing to look at enhancing the experience to make them more widely inclusive.

Thank you. 

Kirsty

Community Manager

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion