Discussion topic: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t be s

This message was authored by Mikil1 This message was authored by: Mikil1

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

No they are not in any process it doesn't look like. They don't even see these posts or bother to take any consideration

This message was authored by AN.Other This message was authored by: AN.Other

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

The last time this issue was escalated  to a Sky expert was 2 years ago, is it possible to get an update on whether any progress has been made since then ?

This message was authored by mr.tickle This message was authored by: mr.tickle

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AN.Other wrote:

Are SKY in the process of addressing the issue of large intrusive subtitles and the lack of subtitle configuration controls when compared to other streaming providers ?

An update from SKY would be welcome.

This is a user-to-user forum. 

If you want to get an answer from Sky you would normally have to email them or telephone them.

I would expect you would get the same wording as all the previous times, though.

--
I do not have a sig other than this message. Sky+HD.
Enjoying HDR with 4k Blu-Ray, Amazon, YouTube and gaming since 2016.

I have emailed Sky regarding this issue and requested a latest update. Will post the reply (if I get one).

I've emailed them 3 times. No response from them at all. It's so bad. Shocking service for my £110 per month custom. outrageous. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AN.Other wrote:

I have emailed Sky regarding this issue and requested a latest update. Will post the reply (if I get one).

@AN.Other 

Sky don't use email as a general method of communication so unless you've registered with the Accessibility Team (where a few different contact methods are available) you're unlikely to receive a response. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

I registered my original complaint about Sky Q's BBC iPlayer App not supporting UHD via email.

Maybe I was just lucky, but Sky responded and replaced my SkyQ box, which fixed the issue. 

Sky's reply to the issue of unconfigurable subtitles, they are looking into the issue.

"I am sorry to read you are unhappy with subtitles on some channels, Sky are directly responsible for subtitles on our channels. 

Subtitles are available for all 33 Sky owned linear channels as well as On Demand, Catch Up, Box Sets, and Sky Cinema content. This is a mix of pre-recorded subtitles on Entertainment and Cinema channel and Live subtitles on Sports and News.

We're committed to subtitling 100% of content on Sky Entertainment and Cinema channels and, over 80% of content on Sky Sports channels and Sky News is subtitled.

The subtitle format we use is called Teletext. It is a fixed font and unfortunately you can’t alter it to make it smaller or bigger. 

We use Teletext as Sky Set Top Boxset can only decode that format at the moment. This is something we are looking into though, but at the moment the size cannot be changed.

This message was authored by Bernadette24 This message was authored by: Bernadette24

That's pretty much the same response I got from Sky 4 years ago! How can they still be using the dinosaur that is Teletext?! Beats me! And why is that the only font that works?!

Yes, it's odd, teletext was a dinosaur, but it supported different fonts and presentation styles, but Sky are constrained to using one text font, size and in a that oversize obscuring window. I replied to their email pointing out that even BT have addressed the subtitle presentation issue.

They don't take notice. I would imagine the only thing that would make them change their minds is losing a substantial amount of subscriptions. That's unlikely to happen unfortunately. Hope it does happen though. 

This message was authored by SFO1 This message was authored by: SFO1

It's just bizarre. If they just sat down and tried their own tv's at home and took a visit to an electronics shop and tried out other tvs, and streaming services , they would spit in a flash how randomly big the subtitles are.

i don't think they've done that at all. 🙄🙄

This message was authored by ijkijk This message was authored by: ijkijk

when BT show sky channels on their platform is the font still teletext... ?

I suspect Sky are restricted to using a teletext hardware chip on the Sky box, but BT have their own software generated subtitles, so subtitles even on Sky channels should be OK.

This message was authored by Unders2 This message was authored by: Unders2

Last month I read that teletext had  been consigned to the bin. Perhaps Sky's sub titles should follow suit!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion