Discussion topic: Subtitles (or lack of) on UHD programmes

This message was authored by Grumpy+Gran This message was authored by: Grumpy+Gran

Re: Subtitles (or lack of) on UHD programmes

Good to hear that subtitles are now being added to some of the UHD content, but I will not be rushing to spend more money until they have them for many, many more. 

This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Everyone

Firstly, I'd like to profusely apologise for the delays in being in a position to make UHD subtitles available on Q and Sky Glass/Stream.  We understand how difficult it's been and have a plan moving forward that I've shared below.

As some of you have already noticed, we've started to add them to new content. I can confirm that all new content added to the platform will now have them automatically. For existing content, we'll be working through re-processing them all over the coming weeks and months (we've a lot to get through!). Next, we'll be making audio description, where available, across the platform.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by Grumpy+Gran This message was authored by: Grumpy+Gran

@KevNewMedia So glad that Sky has finally got around to dealing with this issue, albeit belatedly. I for one will not be holding my breath for how long the process will take, but thinking positively at least Sky may just have realised how many deaf or hard of hearing customers they have. 

This message was authored by AWHARR This message was authored by: AWHARR

Thank-you for the update @KevNewMedia. Are you also policing other broadcasters like TNT Sports? They now also have a UHD channel but unlike their HD channel they are not providing subtitles via UHD. Whilst I appreciate Sky do not own TNT Sports, you do own the Sky platform which permits TNT to show their programmes. So I believe you should take some responsibility to ensure they meet their accessibility responsibilities. I assume as I am signed up to UHD coverage this means I can access TNT UHD channels but without subtitles they are failing to be accessible so I am paying for something I cannot use once again.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AWHARR wrote:

Thank-you for the update @KevNewMedia. Are you also policing other broadcasters like TNT Sports? They now also have a UHD channel but unlike their HD channel they are not providing subtitles via UHD. Whilst I appreciate Sky do not own TNT Sports, you do own the Sky platform which permits TNT to show their programmes. So I believe you should take some responsibility to ensure they meet their accessibility responsibilities. I assume as I am signed up to UHD coverage this means I can access TNT UHD channels but without subtitles they are failing to be accessible so I am paying for something I cannot use once again.

It's OFCOMs responsibility and NOT skys!!!

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@AWHARR wrote:

Thank-you for the update @KevNewMedia. Are you also policing other broadcasters like TNT Sports? They now also have a UHD channel but unlike their HD channel they are not providing subtitles via UHD. 

What has TNT said about it?

@Annie+UK  with all due respect, I believe it is Sky's responsibility in addition.

Whilst I pay TNT Sports for their service, I am also paying Sky for UHD broadcast which includes TNT Sports UHD. Put in another way if I wasn't paying Sky for UHD then I would not be able to view TNT's UHD channel anyway. 

In 2024 I therefore not do not have full access to all UHD programmes housed on the Sky platform whomever provides it.

@AWHARR wrote:

@Annie+UK  with all due respect, I believe it is Sky's responsibility in addition.

OFCOM police ALL broadcasted programming and not the platforms it is transmitted on

Are ISPs responsibile for ALL brodcasts that are delivered over broadband? of cause they are not, that would be stupid

@Mark39 usual promises and that was over 6 months ago......

Moreover Discovery+ (on all platforms including Sky) who show TNT Sports have no subtitles on any programmes at all !! This is ridiculous as the subtitling is already being done and is being shown via Sky HD channels (although not onUHD).... so this is a lack of planning in the design and ability to show closed captioning on their 1. TV Smart app 2. Mobile phone and tablet apps 3. Via computer website.

As I always say its 2024 guys not 1924.... wake up and smell the coffee.... they are actually losing customers who depend on subtitles to enjoy their content.... where is the business brain and sense in that?

@Annie+UK again I respectfully disagree and if you were dependent on subtitles so would you!

I am paying Sky for UHD broadcast!! 

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@AWHARR wrote:

Ofcom are responsible for policing broadcasters, it is not down to the platforms like Sky, Freesat, Virgin etc. At present UHD channels do not meet the minimum audience share to be required to provide any subtitling.

Thank you for the info @Annie+UK   Yet another hurdle in the path of ordinary people. 

Another little tidbit to aid our understanding- thank you @xenon81 . As soon as I read the caveat of levels of legal responsibility I heave a sigh and wonder when moral responsibility will ever be thought of more highly by the business community. 

@Grumpy+Gran @Annie+UK @xenon81 

All OFCOM will do is raise it with Sky and TNT..... they will then declare what they are doing to fix the issue and then it's case closed.

My grumble is that the subtitles should have been designed in from the outset, not as as afterthought some way down the line, usually years.

What isn't helpful is people on this forum who do not understand or appreciate the inaccessible (Removed) deaf people have to endure every single day having to sample the breadcrumbs of the banquets prepared for hearing people.

In this day and age we have the technology to ensure everyone is included.

Moderator note: Removed innapropriate language

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion