Discussion topic: Contemplating sky Glass

This message was authored by Steve300477 This message was authored by: Steve300477

Contemplating sky Glass

In need of a bigger tv was thinking of getting sky glass.Whats it like is it any good,is it good picture quality.

Best Answers
This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker Answer

Re: Contemplating sky Glass

if you are considering Glass, be sure that it carries ALL of the channels and apps you might want. Whilst the big/obvious stuff is there (Sky's own TV, cinema & sports) along with the big streaming services (Netflix, Disney+, Prime, Paramount+, AppleTV+), there are a number missing.

People coming from Sky+HD & Sky Q have noted that some of their preferred channels are missing when taking up Sky Glass or Stream. Many of the smaller streaming services are not on Glass or Stream, and there is no way to add them in as you might on a Fire stick, Apple TV box, Roku and many other smart TVs running Android etc.

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@Steve300477 wrote:

In need of a bigger tv was thinking of getting sky glass.Whats it like is it any good,is it good picture quality.

Have a look at the Sky Glass forum instead of the Sky Stream forum. 

Opinions are mixed. Some love it, some hate it. 

The facts are that it's now very dated technology, having been designed and first released in Sept/Oct 2021 with no hardware updates since. The price, however, has increased. 

You can get much better, more versatile TV's for a lot less money. This is the advice I'd give to anyone comtemplating Sky Glass. 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jones_The_Cat 

What appeals to many is the fact that it can be paid for monthly with no interest .....

@Steve300477 plus points for the tv are that the sound is good for built in speakers 

as I tell everyone who listens you must do your diligence.... check out YouTube videos / online reviews and skys videos and make sure the system does what you want it to do

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on
This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

@Steve300477 wrote:

It's a low budget tv with a mid range price. You would be better off buying yourself a decent tv @Steve300477 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Steve300477 in my view picture quality is adequate, but you can buy better for a similar price. My Glass is used as a dining room tv where it does the job but for 'serious' viewing I have a streaming Puck connected to a Panasonic tv.

This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker

Similar to many others, the Glass TV is fine without being great purely from a picture and sound point of view,

We have a 43" dusky pink Glass TV in our bedroom as a second TV. My wife was sold on the all in one concept, rather than separate TV, soundbar & Stream puck. I also have a Nintendo Switch plugged into our Glass, which the TV is more than good enough for, Downstairs we have a puck plugged into a decent AV receiver, Atmos speakers and higher end Sony 4K TV for 'critical' film & TV watching. The Glass TV upstairs is good enough for casual watching, wife watching her drama series in bed etc..

I personally wouldn't be ok with Glass TV as our main set downstairs, but I know my wife would be. If you have a Sky sales stand in a nearby shopping centre, it would be worth your while checking out the sets and their performance in person. 

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Steve300477 

Given the current Glass model was released in October 2021, it's not hard to find multiple reviews online.  Keep in mind that it's still the same price now (or even more expensive) than it was then, which is very unusual in the television market.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker Answer

if you are considering Glass, be sure that it carries ALL of the channels and apps you might want. Whilst the big/obvious stuff is there (Sky's own TV, cinema & sports) along with the big streaming services (Netflix, Disney+, Prime, Paramount+, AppleTV+), there are a number missing.

People coming from Sky+HD & Sky Q have noted that some of their preferred channels are missing when taking up Sky Glass or Stream. Many of the smaller streaming services are not on Glass or Stream, and there is no way to add them in as you might on a Fire stick, Apple TV box, Roku and many other smart TVs running Android etc.

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

A lot depends on your expectations of what a TV should give you.

For the 'average' TV viewer, which is a very large part of Sky's customer base, Sky Glass is a perfectly fine option. A good option in fact for many. 

You won't find any (non-sponsored) five star reviews of it, more a smattering of 'good' or 'quite good' 3 or 4 star reviews which mainly say that's it pretty reasonable at most things. Pretty reasonable is usually good enough for most 'average' Sky customers. 

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sky/sky-glass 

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sky-glass 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/nov/22/sky-glass-review-streaming-tv-not-quite-ready-for-prim... 

If you look at reviews from more serious tech websites who delve more into the nitty gritty of comparing Glass to more traditional smart TVs, you'll find the reviews to be less favourable. 

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/sky-glass-tv-65-inch-review.19432/ 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sky-glass-tv-review 

https://www.engadget.com/sky-glass-tv-review-103031952.html 

It's entirely up to you. The only way to truly know if you'll like it is to try it... You get 31 days from activation to give it a whirl. If you don't like it you can get them to take it back, no questions asked. If you keep it for longer, you're stuck with it and the warranty is for two years. As a comparison, shops such as John Lewis and Richer Sounds offer free 5 or 6 year warranties on smart TVs they sell. 

This message was authored by Pauljw1502 This message was authored by: Pauljw1502

Don't 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Pauljw1502  I appreciate many people have a poor experience with Glass/Stream and it is subjective but if you have a stable broadband with sufficient speed the streaming platform is great.  It's not perfect but then neither is Sky Q. Personally I wouldn't contemplate returning to Sky Q but I am lucky enough to have great broadband.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Pauljw1502 This message was authored by: Pauljw1502

@Fothergill1 hi, thank you for your comment. I've been a sky costumer for as long as I remember and very rarely had an issue with service till this day. We have great broadband around the house (my wife work from home and can vouch for that)with help from the boosters from sky. My problem is solely with the tv, when it's good it's amazing, sports/movies live TV all fantastic but I've had so many problems with the tv recently that I'm seriously considering taking my old tv back downstairs and using the puck instead. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Pauljw1502 When I had a Glass TV, like you, I found it more temperamental than other devices I had connected to my WiFi. A few months ago I sold my Glass and now use a Puck with a new Samsung TV and Soundbar.  So far I have had fewer reboots with the puck 🤞

This message was authored by JWestLondon This message was authored by: JWestLondon

I've been a Sky customer for , I think, 25 years +. Platinum etc etc . I bought glass shortly after it first came out thinking I was embracing the new technology. It isn't. It's a very poorly made cheap, piece of technology. The picture quality, especially on UHD sport, which is what I watch most , is dreadful. It's seems there is fog at every Premiership game covered by Sky that I've  watched throughout the year. And before the super users jump on and say' oh it's because your wifi is poor , you need an Ethernet cable' , let me tell you this- I have 260 to the glass device. Much, much more than the 30 or do Sky recommends. And I have no intention of running an Ethernet cable down the hall, across the living room floor and up to the set. It's designed and sold as a device that works on the internet , on wifi,  for goodness sake. The search function is flaky. The apps work when they feel like working, it needs rebooting at least once , often two or theee times a week, and the add skipping extra fee is quite frankly, taking the ****. As soon as this piece of junk is paid for it is going in the first skip I can find in the street. Hope this answers your question OP. Don't do it. 

@JWestLondon  I basically agree with you.  The main reason I got rid of my Glass TV was that the picture quality was poor and UHD seemed to be washed out (probably what you refer to as fog).  The only redeeming feature was the sound quality which was much better than any other TV speakers I have come across.

Like you I also use WiFi as an Ethernet connection is not practical or desirable. My broadband is 500mbps and my Glass TV was receiving around 440mbps according to the Netflix network checker yet I still had my fair share of issues (mostly minor though).  I certainly get less problems now that I have a Stream puck and to be fair those that I do get have always been resolved by the occasional reboot.

This is an old thread started 3 months ago so hopefully the OP had made their decision by now  but personally I would go for a puck coupled with a smart TV and Soundbar rather than a Glass TV.  Unfortunately there was no option of having a puck without Glass when I moved to the streaming platform a couple of years ago.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion