Discussion topic: My tv keeps freezing but only on sky sports

This message was authored by Chris+px125 This message was authored by: Chris+px125

My tv keeps freezing but only on sky sports

When watching sky sports on my sky glass tv it freezes 

but only seems to happen when on sky sports 

All Replies

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: My tv keeps freezing but only on sky sports

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I used to have this problem and i identified it as a result of not having a strong and consistent Wifi signal. The Sky streaming platform cant handle any network dropouts or short periods of weakening signal, as it required a constant connection to Sky's own servers.

If you are connected via Wifi, you can either try improving the strength of your Wifi network via things like a mesh, or alternatively (which is what i did) switch over to using ethernet. This avoids changes in wifi network strength and wifi interference and the stable internet connection removes a lot of issues like that. When changing to ethernet, ensure you disable the Wifi in the network settings, and then reboot the device by unplugging it for a minute. Its always best to reboot after disabling wifi, as i've seen the Wifi not actually disable in the past until the reboot is done.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Chris+px125
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chris+px125 This message was authored by: Chris+px125

Thank you I thought it that may be the problem 

I will see what I can do my have to by a signal boost and connect via Ethernet 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Chris+px125 wrote:

Thank you I thought it that may be the problem 

I will see what I can do my have to by a signal boost and connect via Ethernet 

Try to avoid boosters if possible ... they can weaken your WiFi signal and often create a secondary identical WiFi signal that can confuse devices 

if possible try a set of Powerline adapters £20-£30 or cheaper used. These use your electrical wiring as a link between two ethernet cables and your router. A good mesh system is the best WiFi alternative but a little more expensive and more complicated to setup 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on
Chris+px125
Topic Author

Thanks

the biggest confusion for me is if i sit in the living room on the Sky Glass it freezes but if i then try sky go on my phone there is no issue ??

so is it defo the wifi or do I have an issue with my sky glass TV

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Chris+px125 wrote:

Thanks

the biggest confusion for me is if i sit in the living room on the Sky Glass it freezes but if i then try sky go on my phone there is no issue ??

so is it defo the wifi or do I have an issue with my sky glass TV

It will be strength and stability of the WiFi connection most likely.

i saw the same thing particularly with live sports on my Sky stream and after a few days switched from WiFi to Ethernet and the problem completely went away.

Sky Go is streaming directly to your device and can work around any small WiFi stability issues or instabilities that may occur, however due to the way the Sky streaming platform works and the fact that nothing essentially runs off your Glass or Stream puck and it all runs off a Sky server that your Glass requires a constant connection to is generally the reason WiFi instability causes issues that you don't see on other streaming platforms like Sky Go or Apple TV or an Amazon TV stick.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by crawford2 This message was authored by: crawford2

Think it's good news. Have heard next month  Sky are having an update on the live sports broadcasts, which will reduce the delay transmission by 21 seconds, doesn't sound a lot, but a big improvement 

@crawford2 wrote:

Think it's good news. Have heard next month  Sky are having an update on the live sports broadcasts, which will reduce the delay transmission by 21 seconds, doesn't sound a lot, but a big improvement 

In the short term this does not cover all sports. It will take Sky a while to roll this out to all the Sky Sports Channels. You can see on channels 921 and 922 the low latency test streams only cover Sky Sports Main Event that have been ongoing for a few months.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by crawford2 This message was authored by: crawford2

Thanks for that 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion