Discussion topic: UHD and Dolby atmos

This message was authored by slaters This message was authored by: slaters

UHD and Dolby atmos

I got an offer of 4 months free UHD and Dolby Atmos. I'm very unimpressed I know a lot of people on here say sky glass isn't good enough but I thought I would see some improvement on the picture, I actually think it looks worse I watched FBI International which is in uhd and on sky witness I think the colours just look weird and it wasn't as sharp as HD. 

I have gone through all the presets but there is no real visible difference. Same thing when watching something in uhd on BBC iplayer (I know you don't need the sky uhd for that)

Any suggestions? 

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: UHD and Dolby atmos

@slaters wrote:

I got an offer of 4 months free UHD and Dolby Atmos. I'm very unimpressed I know a lot of people on here say sky glass isn't good enough but I thought I would see some improvement on the picture, I actually think it looks worse I watched FBI International which is in uhd and on sky witness I think the colours just look weird and it wasn't as sharp as HD. 

I have gone through all the presets but there is no real visible difference. Same thing when watching something in uhd on BBC iplayer (I know you don't need the sky uhd for that)

Any suggestions? 

A lot of Sky's UHD content (and the BBC's iPlayer UHD content) has HDR (High Dynamic Range) which gives a higher contrast, brighter and more colourful image. But the problem is, Sky Glass is not a very bright TV, a limitation of the type of panel used in its design. 

The Vivid picture setting allegedly gives as good an image quality as you can get from Glass, but if you really want to see the benefit of HDR then you'll need a different brand of TV with a higher peak brightness level. 

If you're happy in general with the quality of HD streams on your Glass TV then just cancel the UHD add-on before you get charged for it and carry on with your viewing in HD. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion