Discussion topic: Who monitors sky live camera during use

This message was authored by Luisa22 This message was authored by: Luisa22

Who monitors sky live camera during use

When using sky live camera, is your usage private or are you being watched as you use it ? 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Who monitors sky live camera during use

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Luisa22 

I'd think there shouldn't be any human involvement other than when the app in use specifically involves another person: the obvious ones are Zoom and the 'Watch Together' feature.

However, no such system should be thought of as entirely secure: the camera and microphone are clearly capable of sending video and audio beyond the local network otherwise the functions mentioned above couldn't work.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Luisa22
Topic Author

Thankyou, I agree with you.. however I am struggling to find a way to set it up as private use , for safety and privacy of myself and my children to use, it's amazing to have sky live camera, but the feed back was so personalised during a workout... that it made me think I may of been observed , which lead me to wonder if me and my children are monitored during using games and workouts . I simply want to know how to be sure it's set to a private usage. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Luisa22 

I'd observe the Sky Data Protection Declaration says:

Audio and video data leaving Sky Live

The video and audio data captured by the Sky Live device will only leave the device in real time to operate the relevant service you are using at the time (e.g. making a video call). That data will only be stored or accessed by us off the device if clearly explained to you at the time and you agree to this.

An example of when video might be stored off the device is when you choose to share your photo or video using the Video booth app in which case the photo or video will be stored in the cloud for a short period for you to access it via another device.

Other data we collect

Other than the audio and video data leaving Sky Live and explained above, Telemetry data (as explained above) is collected automatically to enable diagnostics and trouble-shooting.

Subject to you choosing to opt out (details of which can be found under ‘Your choices’), product analytics data (as explained above) is collected automatically to help us improve our content, products, services and customer experiences.

Sky Live captures additional product analytics data due to the unique capabilities of the camera. This is movement data (in the form of numerical co-ordinates, not actual video) when you move or make gestures or poses in front of the camera. This data is aggregated and anonymised after it is collected and is used to help us improve the performance of the Sky Live camera.

Can Sky Live identify me?

Sky Live does not identify you or anyone else in front of the camera or via the microphone. If we introduce functionality in the future that enables this we will tell you using an appropriate method.

Luisa22
Topic Author

Yes I have read all the above, I just was taken aback that after a workout , I was voice noted in a way that made me wonder how live my workout was, when I thought it was like a pre set game type workout with fixed phrases... but it was very accurate what was said.... I'm just overwhelmed at how real it seemed, if the instructor was not actually viewing my workout in person... lol 🥴

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Luisa22 wrote:

Yes I have read all the above, I just was taken aback that after a workout , I was voice noted in a way that made me wonder how live my workout was, when I thought it was like a pre set game type workout with fixed phrases... but it was very accurate what was said.... I'm just overwhelmed at how real it seemed, if the instructor was not actually viewing my workout in person... lol 🥴

Its likely just some sort of Artifical Intelligence built into the workout app, which will use the data collected by the Sky Live camera to see how well you are doing on the workout, how your form is etc etc so it can provide semi accurate feedback to you.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

@Luisa22 

One point to consider is that at the relevant subscription price, Sky cannot afford to employ actual humans for such work...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion