Discussion topic: Sky Go Desktop Goes HD

This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia

Sky Go Desktop Goes HD

Posted by a Sky employee

From today, we start rolling out the next version of Sky Go Desktop (22.10.2 - 22.10.2) and we wanted to share more information about this release.

What does this release contain:

• HD quality streams – up to now only some Sky Sports channels have been HD quality (720p). Once you’ve updated to the new version, all live TV and on demand content will be displayed in HD (720p) quality.
  • Mac icon size – we have reduced the size of the Sky Go app icon in the tray to be the same size as other apps .
  • PFE-8000 – we have resolved an issue impacting some customers experiencing this error when trying to view or download on demand content.
  • Various other backend bug fixes.

When will this be available do download?

As with all our Sky Go releases, we do this in a staggered approach. We aim to complete the release around the first week of November.  

Do you need to wait to receive this update to see HD quality streams?

Your Sky Go desktop app will automatically install this version anytime between today and when we complete the release. If you can’t wait to start watching HD quality streams, you can download the Beta version of Sky Go Desktop by clicking Settings > Updates > Beta and follow the onscreen instructions.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky Go Desktop Goes HD

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@KevNewMedia 

Could you confirm if that currently only applies to the downloadable Windows / OSX versions, and not Go for Android/iOS, 'Sky Go for Apple TV', and 'TV from Sky' on Xbox/Playstation?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
KevNewMedia
Topic Author
This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @TimmyBGood 

They are all 720p where we get a 720p feed from the broadcaster/on demand content provider.  The exception to this is that currently only Sports is 720p on Apple TV.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

@KevNewMedia Have they also resolved the issue of SkyGo unable to connect to the main SkyQ box when using a third party router/modem setup?

KevNewMedia
Topic Author

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @cuke 

I'm not aware of any problems with Sky Go Desktop failing to connect to the Q box.  

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

@KevNewMedia My apologies, since testing further the desktop version connects ok but no mobile, android SkyGo app, device will... 

This message was authored by Sagar This message was authored by: Sagar

Re: Sky Go Desktop Goes HD - Never had a problem before but now get "Please try again (001)"

Following on from the latest update, my Sky Go app on windows 10 Pro (64bit) is displaying the problem experienced by many frustrated users for the last two years.  Please may I have the old version that worked back?

This message was authored by Sagar This message was authored by: Sagar

... namely "We're having problems connecting you.  Please try again (001).

This message was authored by TonyS----- This message was authored by: TonyS-----

Why only 720? That isn't full HD and nowadays calling that HD is really not accurate and some might argue potentially misleading, if you can stream to sky glass in 4k and proper/full HD/1080 why cant you stream in at least 1080 for Sky Go? I'm sure if you made a small additional charge that would be acceptable, I would gladly pay £2.99 a month to get Sky go streaming in full HD 1080, I would also welcome an answer on the subject, its possible you have this planned, if so approximately when might this be rolled out?

Thanks

This message was authored by AndyH This message was authored by: AndyH

Sky Go desktop finally works with what you might more accurately term 'half HD'.

Good grief.

This message was authored by Alex+Cooke This message was authored by: Alex+Cooke

It was always known as 'HD Ready' and should be called this now, not 'Full HD'

Tbf to Sky, this means people are less incentivesed to borrow a friend's account on an ongoing basis and those with multiple properties/offices will buy a second Q or Stream sub. Commercial idiocy to do anything else.  Now what they should be doing is selling FHD/UHD streaming to mobile devices at a reduced rate and locking to these devices (as currently with sky go on iOS and Android). For some reason they can't lock laptops to the laptop screen (of course with a desktop that would prevent any viewing at all 😂)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion