Discussion topic: Sky Go using mobile data on Sky Mobile SIM

This message was authored by MichieR This message was authored by: MichieR

Sky Go using mobile data on Sky Mobile SIM

I recently changed my SIM only over from 3 to Sky. When I use SkyGo, it is using my data allowance and this is reflected on the MySky app for my SIM plan as well as on my phone data usage. I thought I could use Sky apps without it using mobile data from my plan's data allowance. I have checked my Sky account and it indicates that my phone is linked to my current SkyTV account which I have had for 2 years now. I've looked through a lot of posts in SkyCommunity and can't find anything else I can do on my end, but maybe someone here has some more advice?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001 Answer

Re: Sky Go using mobile data on Sky Mobile SIM

Posted by a Sky employee

Update:

Spoke with @MichieR and it seems the VPN is active which prevents Sky mobile from knowing its Sky Go using the data, Disabling the VPN when using Sky Go should resolve this issue.

Thanks again for the escalation have a great afternoon.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MichieR 

Sky does note that on-demand content containing advertising will use data for the advertising itself.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-mobile-watch 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
MichieR
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood  Surely just the ads contained in 3 hours of watching either OnDemand or Live Tv (like Sky Atlantic) wouldn't use over 4GB of data? I had over 6GB of data before I watched anything yesterday. Now below 2GB. 

1000022846.jpg

1000022856.jpg

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

For the adverts only a really tiny amount of data should be used.

To get you some help with this I have escalated your post to the Sky Messaging team who should be in touch with you regarding this via a blue/red chat bubble which will appear at the bottom of this page. It can take up to a few hours to be contacted via this.

This link explains how this works so you will need to respond to the chat bubble at the bottom of the page when it appears:
https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

When the chat bubble does appear you will need to respond to it as soon as you can.
This isn't a live chat so replies are not instant.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @MichieR an invite to chat.

This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001 Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

Update:

Spoke with @MichieR and it seems the VPN is active which prevents Sky mobile from knowing its Sky Go using the data, Disabling the VPN when using Sky Go should resolve this issue.

Thanks again for the escalation have a great afternoon.

MichieR
Topic Author

Yes, turning off the VPN solved the problem. I knew it would be something simple! Thank you Sky Community (and the help bubble chat person) for quick and helpful information.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion