Discussion topic: Sky go not connecting to Q box

This message was authored by scrambler60 This message was authored by: scrambler60

Sky go not connecting to Q box

My SkyGo app on my iPad regularly appears to lose connectivity with the SkyQ box, so that I get a message 'Sky Q box not found'. I can reconnect by rebooting my router and restarting the Sky Q box, but the next time I try to use the SkyGo app the connection has gone again.

The odd thing is that when I look at the SkyGo settings, the app still sees my 2 Sky Mini boxes, just not the main Sky Q box.

Does anyone have any ideas?

All Replies

This message was authored by Frankie+Connolly This message was authored by: Frankie+Connolly

Re: Sky go not connecting to Q box

@scrambler60 ,

just wondering if you got this problem sorted? as i have the very same since i re contracted with sky .

Sky Go would work not all of the time but it would connect about 60% of the time, but now it wont connect at all, just the message Sky box not found

regards

scrambler60
Topic Author
This message was authored by scrambler60 This message was authored by: scrambler60

No, not sorted, I'm afraid. The engineers who came out to fix the mini-box problem last week replaced the faulty SkyQ box, which they said would also solve this probelm, but it hasn't.

This message was authored by Frankie+Connolly This message was authored by: Frankie+Connolly

@scrambler60 

Thanks for that,that Sky Go app never worked right it's been hit and miss with me ,and I'd say we are not the only ones regards 

scrambler60
Topic Author

Good luck. Oddly enough I can still record from the SkyGo app, but I just can't see my recordings. Life's just too short to keep chasing this one!

This message was authored by regency71 This message was authored by: regency71

I too had my skybox (the mini box not the main Q box) replaced today and for a very brief while the sky go worked, by which I mean it could connect to the sky Q box As soon as the engineer went it stopped being able to connect again.

The fault applies on my iPhone, my iPad, and my wife's iPad.

I've tried telephone support the virtual non-assistant and emailing without success.

Obviously I've done the power of the devices off reload the app Power the Q off, power booster off, power router off  many times over several weeks without sucess.

There must be a clue in the fact it worked while the engineer from Sky was here and had Sky go on his iPad connected to my broadband network. Any ideas please

This message was authored by Cleggsta This message was authored by: Cleggsta

Hi - Did anyone get this resolved? My in laws have a Sky Q box with multi screen subscription. They have the Sky Go app (latest) installed on their Samsung tablet. They cannot accwss recordings on the Sky Q box, not watch BBC 1/2 using Sky Go on their tablet as it continuously says they are not connected to their Q box.

Following the procedure on Sky website (restarting router and Q box) briefly gets it all talking. Within ,5-10 mins it is no longer connected..... 

They are not behind a VPN or anything on their tablets.... 

This message was authored by regency71 This message was authored by: regency71

Lots of people with the same problem, no solutions, typical of Sky. 

@regency71 ,no not resolved, just going around in circles, tried everything that sky suggested several times, even the sky technicians couldn't get it working,and they have a cheek to email me to say my subscription is going up, a law on to themselves

Regards Frankie

scrambler60
Topic Author

Having just moved house, I have a Sky engineer coming here early next week to set up Sky Q again. I'll ask the question ...

@scrambler60  since I renewed my contract in December it hasn't worked,I changed nothing on my package,I have multi room but nothing I do gets it to connect

I'll be interested to hear what he says ,thanks

This message was authored by Andrewrdaw This message was authored by: Andrewrdaw

This is what fixed this issue for me.

Sky Go on my iPad Pro was always hit and miss at connecting to my Sky Q box, but recently it's been much worse. Up until this morning, none of my Sky Go clients (iPad or PC) would connect to the Sky Q box.

I've been a Network Engineer/Architect for 30 years, so I decided to get to the bottom of this once and for all. I did an IP packet trace from my PC with the SKy Go app running. I hit the 'find Sky Q Box' a few times and looked at the capture.

The app sends an SSDP 'Search' on the multicast address 239.255.255.250:1900 and the Sky Q box should respond to this packet. However, other upnp devices on the network also listen on this port and are quicker at responding. In my case, my wife's Amazon Firestick was the culprit. I could see on the packet trace that it was responding to my Sky Go client and this was causing it to fail in finding the SKy Q box. I turned the Firestick off and now all of my iPad and PC see the Q box and I can watch recordings.

I turned the Firestick back on and so far, the clients are still working ok.

Hope this helps someone else with this problem.

Andy

scrambler60
Topic Author

Interesting. For my part, as th eoroiginal poster, the problem seems to have gone away. We moved house, and our internet provider gave us a new FritzBox router to replace our old ASUS one which was not compatible with our new service. Why this should have resolved the problem I have no idea, but it has!

This message was authored by CraigMc1974 This message was authored by: CraigMc1974

The Sky Q box and the device must both be connected to the same network for this to happen successfully, so if you have any wifi boosters in the property, one of the devices may be connecting through that and it is showing a different SSID, try temporarily turning off the booster and ensure both devices are conencted to the hub and hopefully this should allow the connection to be made between the device with Sky Go and the Q box.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion