Discussion topic: Extremely slow SkyQ downloads - Not with Sky Broadband

This message was authored by marksk This message was authored by: marksk

Extremely slow SkyQ downloads - Not with Sky Broadband

I am a SkyQ customer but my boradband is with BT.  My internet upload & download speeds are perfect but downloads on SKyQ take forever.  A 300MB download can take over an hour.  

I've seen this raised in other threads but no resolution.  And it seems impossible to contact Sky directly.  Advice appreciated.  

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Extremely slow SkyQ downloads - Not with Sky Broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@marksk wrote:

I am a SkyQ customer but my boradband is with BT.  My internet upload & download speeds are perfect but downloads on SKyQ take forever.  A 300MB download can take over an hour.  

I've seen this raised in other threads but no resolution.  And it seems impossible to contact Sky directly.  Advice appreciated.  

Hi @marksk 

Try a Reset Settings in the Q box hidden menu.
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Only Carry out the first Reset (Reset Settings) as the other two will wipe all recordings.
After the Reset you will have to re pair your Bluetooth remote If you use one.
If you cannot switch the Q box on with the remote after the Reset press the Standby button (Amber led) on the front of the box.
To re pair the remote press 1 & 3 together on the remote and follow onscreen instructions to re pair.

Make sure that you are pointing the remote at the Q box when you press 1 & 3 together.

Resetting the settings will also reset:

Audio visual settings, such as picture resolution and HDMI control
Settings changed within the hidden engineer menu, include LNB type. If on a communal dish you need to reset the LNB to SCR in the hidden menu. After changing the LNB type you need to reboot the Q box.

This message was authored by 1Anonymous1 This message was authored by: 1Anonymous1

I'm having exact same issue and I'm with Bt broadband sky need to look into this issues please can someone from sky on here pass this on to be looked into thanks 

@Chloe-W22 @Sam-R @Kirsty+S27 @KevNewMedia  thank you 

This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

@1Anonymous1 wrote:

I'm having exact same issue and I'm with Bt broadband sky need to look into this issues please can someone from sky on here pass this on to be looked into thanks 

Hi @1Anonymous1 Try rebooting your router by removing the power cable for 30 sec then reconnect to reboot, then reboot your main SKYQ box by turning the power off at the socket for 30 sec then turn back on?

I have BT broadband, this suggestion works for me whenever I have problems with download speeds to the SKYQ box, via wifi.

However I hard wired my SKYQ box to the router and not had any issues since.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
This message was authored by 1Anonymous1 This message was authored by: 1Anonymous1

it works for a little bit then problem comes back within the same day so this is definitely an issue at  skys end that's needs looking into thanks 

This message was authored by Gemma50 This message was authored by: Gemma50

@1Anonymous1 just wondering if you have had any resolution with this as we are experiencing the same issues and only in the last week or 2. All devices work perfectly except the Sky Q which is slow to dowload anything and connect to apps. Very weird as all was perfect literally until this time. 

No still same issue never an issue before think only sky can fix this issue via an update to the boxes but bet they don't 

This message was authored by Seamus17386 This message was authored by: Seamus17386

This is more widespread as I have over the past week started to experience the same issue. I work for an ISP and know for a fact my Broadband connection is working 100% at a guaranteed speed of 800MB. Currently takes me 45mins to download a 28min episode of a show. Joke!! I will be calling up to discuss my 50% reduction in monthly bills until the issue is sorted.

This message was authored by Seamus17386 This message was authored by: Seamus17386

This is now December and its still an ongoing issue!! Did you get a response by any chance?

Any Sky employees like to add their voice to these posts?

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I'm still having this issue I'm with Bt broadband but my broadband is not the problem as it's working perfectly so please can someone from sky on here confirm this is being looked into when downloading in HD,UHD or in SD it's still really really slow at downloading and it never used to be  on sky Q main box and mini box rebooting mini and main sky Q box not fixed the issue iv even tried sky Q box via WiFi and Ethernet and no difference 

@Chloe-W22 thanks

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

I'm sure it's not being looked into as a general issue.

I'll escalate your specific request.

@Chodley wrote:

I'm sure it's not being looked into as a general issue.

I'll escalate your specific request.

Thank you 

This message was authored by Gemma50 This message was authored by: Gemma50

This is what I was trying to say about our broadband. Works perfectly for everything but Sky and only recently. 

They sent me an invite to chat but it's not working as a "branch out" and I still believe we should  be entitled to a discount. 

Surely Sky see these forums and that it can't be an individual issue?

100%! On demand content is part of the package so I'll be ringing up to get a discount until sorter

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Gemma50 wrote:

This is what I was trying to say about our broadband. Works perfectly for everything but Sky and only recently. 

They sent me an invite to chat but it's not working as a "branch out" and I still believe we should  be entitled to a discount. 

Surely Sky see these forums and that it can't be an individual issue?

They can't diagnose or do anything serious based on forum posts. They need to dig into each case before a pattern would get spotted.

I don't know what "branch out" means?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion