Discussion topic: Extremely slow SkyQ downloads - Not with Sky Broadband

This message was authored by Seamus17386 This message was authored by: Seamus17386

Re: Extremely slow SkyQ downloads - Not with Sky Broadband

Hi, how can you tell if it the HDR version of the box? I have this problem, booked an engineer, he replaced the box and no issues since 15th Dec. Which is good for Sky as I was ringing to get out of my contract had that not worked. 

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Seamus17386 wrote:

Hi, how can you tell if it the HDR version of the box? I have this problem, booked an engineer, he replaced the box and no issues since 15th Dec. Which is good for Sky as I was ringing to get out of my contract had that not worked. 

@Seamus17386 have a look at the link below and clck on te Sky Q option it will show the box versions 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Seamus17386 This message was authored by: Seamus17386

Hi, thanks. Checked mine and its not the UHD version of the box. However a box replacement fixed my issue. For now at least. 

This message was authored by thedirtyratman This message was authored by: thedirtyratman

Good post thanks. As I wanted fast internet everywhere I got gigabit switches but this makes sense. The Sky Q Box is, from what I've read is able to handle 100mbps would've thought it would be backwards compatible. 

Will see what amazon has.
cheers will report back. 

marksk
Topic Author
This message was authored by marksk This message was authored by: marksk

Same as Seamus.  Eventually got an engineer visit who replaced my box and it's been working fine since.  Sky refunded a months subscription.  They would only refund for the time period I reported the issue to them even though I'd been experiencing the issue for 3 months prior to reporting it.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@thedirtyratman wrote:

Good post thanks. As I wanted fast internet everywhere I got gigabit switches but this makes sense. The Sky Q Box is, from what I've read is able to handle 100mbps would've thought it would be backwards compatible. 

Will see what amazon has.
cheers will report back. 

It is backwards compatible. The switch will run that port at 100Mb. It's very unlikely the fact that his switch was 1Gb vs 100Mb which fixed that. Something else about the different hardware likely made the difference or it was coincidence because this problem does seem quite random.

This message was authored by paulkerdot This message was authored by: paulkerdot

It's a contention issue. I have a 900/900 fibre connection. Yesterday, I was downloading one thing at 80mb/s. Then the super Mario uhd movie which took all  afternoon at 5mb/s. Today downloading an hd version of gladiator it paused while watching and asked for more to be downloaded. I then switched to the streaming bbc iPlayer and its streaming at 20mb/s bursts and working perfectly. Sky aren't spending enough cash on keeping up with their capacity. 

This message was authored by Kickboxingboy This message was authored by: Kickboxingboy

Why are sky going to fix this. 

like many I have upgraded to 900 meg fibre and the most I'm getting on a 1Gb connection is 100meg download.

the sky q box has a 1Gb port and all

my infra is 1Gb.

There is obviously issues either box related and Ethernet drivers / port speed or content delivery issues.

almost like sky contact is speed rate locked.

if I have a hdr download and stream I'm getting upto 200 meg to the box but sky content is never more than 100

Physical connections
• 2x F-connectors (Satellite in 12V, 300mA)
• 1 x USB 2 port, able to supply 1A
• 1x HDMI 2.0 for 4k output with HDCP 2.2
• 1 x Digital audio optical S/P-DIF connector (Digital Audio)
• 1 x 10/100/1000Mb/s Ethernet provided via rear panel RJ-
45 connector
• Mains (Mains input 230V )

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @Kickboxingboy   Can you give an example of a slow download?

This message was authored by Kickboxingboy This message was authored by: Kickboxingboy

Any hdr movie, Gb link does not exceed 

900 meg fibre to isp 

sky q does not get above 110Mbps 

IMG_6814.jpeg

sky q has a Gb wired link

IMG_6815.jpeg

Full movies should download in 2-3 mins not 22-25

the Ethernet port is clearly capable of more than  100Mbps as a download background while streaming in increases 

either software is limiting download speed or sky are limiting bandwidth. 

what's the point of Gb ports and networks if you can't get anywhere near it.

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @Kickboxingboy   Streaming HDR movies only require about 30 Mbps. There is no point downloading it faster than you can view it. Or am I missing something. Have you got a specific example of a HDR movie you are testing?

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

I assume sky throttle the downloads to manage peaks and costs. Not sure, as above, why it matters as long as it's faster than playback speed. I suppose there's a niche case where you might want to just find a scene later on in the movie for some reason.

This message was authored by Paul+grimes This message was authored by: Paul+grimes

Same issue worh me. My BT home hub 2 and my Q box are next to eachother and I am havw Sky Q download speed issues despite my broadband operaring at its peak speeds.

Also, the Sky Q kept losing network connection so I was have to regulalry having to reconnect which was a pain.

In the end, the best way I found to resolve the issue was using an ethernet cable between the 2. Yes its retrograde and masking an issue but needs must.

@Paul+grimes wrote:

an ethernet cable between the 2. Yes its retrograde

Hi @Paul+grimes   What makes you think that it is retrograde. You only use WiFi when Ethernet is not possible, especially for static devices.

This message was authored by Paul+grimes This message was authored by: Paul+grimes

Because Wi-Fi is a more convenient capability that I am unable to use. Wireless is certainly a later (more modern) technology than ethernet, hence the term retrograde.

I didn't realise preferring wireless rather than wired technology was going to cause anyone to wet their pants. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion