Discussion topic: Network set up

This message was authored by MH1901 This message was authored by: MH1901

Network set up

I recently set up a new FTTP connection to our apt and have tried to manually resetting the connection as I found that I could no longer watch my recordings on the ipad or use the remote control facility on Skygo. When I swapped I was obviously properly connected to my old Pine Media connection and it has now reconnected to a neighbour's network. When I type in the password it won't accept it.

i have read a solution on another thread but as I am disabled that would be difficult to follow. Is there a simple solution?!

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Network set up

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MH1901 wrote:

@oldfella  more trouble - Put Sky mini box on - checked on the right network but won't connect - error message MR104. This means rebooting mainbox (and hope it reconnects onto the right network) then ?reboot mini box - is that right?. (Reboot switch off at wall and wait 30 seconds?) thank you.!

Hi @MH1901 

First try rebooting the main Q box and then when this is completely back up and running reboot the mini.
To reboot press Standby on your Sky Q remote (if the box responds to the remote), and then switch off and unplug at the mains.
Wait at least 30 secs and then Plug back in and switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
Wait for the on screen instructions to disappear and the front led to turn Amber. Then wait for 30 secs before you press Home on your Sky Q remote or if this is not working press the standby button on the front of the Q box (Amber led)

note: some features may take up to 5 minutes to return.

Reboot the mini as above.
If the mini still does not connect try a Network Reset on the mini.
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

Hi @MH1901,

Are you on about your Sky Q box is connected to the Neighbours WiFi or your iPad?

In any case reset the network on the Q box by following the instructions below, please note, if you are with a 3rd party Internet Service Provider it will show a random "SKYXXXXXX" SSID (WiFi Network Name) on the network settings of your Q box as the Sky Q box creates it's own little network.

To initiate a Network Reset, navigate to Q box Home > Settings > Setup > Network. Once there, highlight "Status" and then choose "Reset" from the options on the right-hand side. Follow the provided instructions to establish a WiFi connection with your router.

If you're using Sky broadband, you'll be prompted to press the WPS button on the Sky router. Remember to press the WPS button on the Sky router itself and not the reset button on the Q box, as the Network reset will automatically trigger the WPS process on the main Q box.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
MH1901
Topic Author

Thank you for your reply, - I had already gone onto settings and tried manually resetting the system - the SkyQ found my new  hub - I clicked on that and entered the password as instructed which it wouldn't accept. I think that that was what you suggested?

Is the new router close to the Sky Q box?

If it is I would recommend using an ethernet cable to hardwire your Q box to the NEW Router

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
MH1901
Topic Author

Thank you - if that is the only way then I will need to buy another ethernet cable as I stopped using them years ago and then ask someone to come and try your suggestion unless someone has any other solution?!

Are you sure that will work and will they have to stay connected using the cable?

It should connect via WiFi, I would double check the password you are entering is correct as some charaters looks like numbers but they are letters and vice versa for example a lowercase L can look like a capital I.

The WiFi password is also case sensitive

MH1901
Topic Author

Password definitely correct.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@MH1901 wrote:

Password definitely correct.

Who is your new Broadband supplier @MH1901 ?

MH1901
Topic Author

@oldfella Thank you for responding - I am with Pine Media and have been with them for approximately 7 years.

@MH1901 wrote:

@oldfella Thank you for responding - I am with Pine Media and have been with them for approximately 7 years.

Hi @MH1901 

If you haven't already try the following procedure in the order given.

First reset your broadband router.
If on 3rd party broadband and your router does not have a reset button, reboot it by disconnecting the power lead for 30 secs and then reconnecting.
When the router is completely back and running

reboot the main Q box.

To reboot press Standby on your Sky Q remote (if the box responds to the remote), and then switch off and unplug at the mains.
Wait at least 30 secs and then Plug back in and switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
Wait for the on screen instructions to disappear and the front led to turn Amber. Then wait for 30 secs before you press Home on your Sky Q remote or if this is not working press the standby button on the front of the Q box (Amber led)

And then try a Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your router. Even if reset is not listed there is still an option to connect by WiFi to Sky or 3rd party router
As you are on 3rd party (non Sky ) broadband then you need to enter the SSID and password for the router 2.4 Ghz WiFi band.

MH1901
Topic Author

@oldfella Thank you so much. I actually only had to do 1/2 of what you suggested. I disconnected the router for 30+ secs and thought I would try out of interest whether it worked. at that stage and reset the network connection including password and it's connected.. A very simple solution, I should have just thought of that before, but it may help someone else - thanks again @oldfella much appreciated.

MH1901
Topic Author

@oldfella  more trouble - Put Sky mini box on - checked on the right network but won't connect - error message MR104. This means rebooting mainbox (and hope it reconnects onto the right network) then ?reboot mini box - is that right?. (Reboot switch off at wall and wait 30 seconds?) thank you.!

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@MH1901 wrote:

Hi @MH1901 

First try rebooting the main Q box and then when this is completely back up and running reboot the mini.

Reboot the mini as above.
If the mini still does not connect try a Network Reset on the mini.
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

MH1901
Topic Author

@oldfella @Thank you so much. Simple solutions for both issues. Checked connected to the correct network. We have peace in the household!

@MH1901 wrote:

@oldfella @Thank you so much. Simple solutions for both issues. Checked connected to the correct network. We have peace in the household!

Enjoy @MH1901 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion