Discussion topic: New Sky Q Box won’t detect 4K TV

This message was authored by philam2-Mobile2 This message was authored by: philam2-Mobile2

New Sky Q Box won’t detect 4K TV

I had a visit from Sky today as i was having problems with Q. The upshot is my main box was changed to the v3 from the v1. 

All seemed well until i tried to watch a movie in UHD. At this point i realised that the box is stuck in 1080i mode. I cannot change to 2160 or even 1080p (the former says a 2160 capable set could not be found, the latter results in a blank screen). I am connected directly with an HDMI cable into an LG OLED TV that is capable of 2160 @ 60fps using the same HDMI cable that was connected to my previous main box. Any suggestions very welcome!! 

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: New Sky Q Box won’t detect 4K TV

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@philam2-Mobile2 wrote:

. Any suggestions very welcome!! 

What's the model number of your box?  https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates

They may have given you a non-UHD box...

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
philam2-Mobile2
Topic Author
This message was authored by philam2-Mobile2 This message was authored by: philam2-Mobile2

@PandJ2020 no it's definitely the right box (it gives me the option to select UHD etc). I'll have to try with a different tv / cable to narrow down the issue I guess 😕

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@philam2-Mobile2 wrote:

I had a visit from Sky today as i was having problems with Q. The upshot is my main box was changed to the v3 from the v1. 

All seemed well until i tried to watch a movie in UHD. At this point i realised that the box is stuck in 1080i mode. I cannot change to 2160 or even 1080p (the former says a 2160 capable set could not be found, the latter results in a blank screen). I am connected directly with an HDMI cable into an LG OLED TV that is capable of 2160 @ 60fps using the same HDMI cable that was connected to my previous main box. Any suggestions very welcome!! 

Hi @philam2-Mobile2 

The V1 box was not HDR capable. (Edit.  Corrected with credit with credit to @nigea99 

Therefore it could be that the HDMI cable is not HDR capable due to its length or specs.

Also are you sure that the LG TV HDMI input for the Q box is set for UHD/HDR

philam2-Mobile2
Topic Author

@oldfella maybe I had the V2 box previously then - but I have been happily using UHD with Sky Q on the same TV for the last couple of years, and the fact that I can't even select 1080p now makes no sense at all. I have even tried with a different tv / different HDMI cable and have the same issue - so definitely the new box rather than the settings on my existing equipment that is the root of the problem 😞

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@philam2-Mobile2 wrote:

@oldfella maybe I had the V2 box previously then - but I have been happily using UHD with Sky Q on the same TV for the last couple of years, and the fact that I can't even select 1080p now makes no sense at all. I have even tried with a different tv / different HDMI cable and have the same issue - so definitely the new box rather than the settings on my existing equipment that is the root of the problem 😞

Hi @philam2-Mobile2 

Yes if it was V2 then this was UHD capable

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

If it was a 2TB then it probably was V1 box (Hardware version 32B0xxx) which are UHD capable but not HDR capable

Certainly worth trying a different HDMI lead as well as double checking the HDMI input settings on your TV

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion