Discussion topic: Sky Q Box connecting non Sky wifi

This message was authored by tfkent This message was authored by: tfkent

Sky Q Box connecting non Sky wifi

I have a Q main box and 3 minis. The main box is not in the same room as the (non sky) broadband router so i would like to connect to it via wifi. The mini boxes are alll connected to the main via the sky wifi mesh. I could not get the main box to connect via wifi so had to plug the ethernet cable into a wifi booster, which works but is unreliable. Is there any way to connect the main box to my (non sky) router direct via wifi whilst still keeping the minis running. Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Sky Q Box connecting non Sky wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@tfkent wrote:

Thank you - the reason I ask is I do have a sky q booster but power is limited near the router so I may have to work without it

I have tried your steps to connect directly and that seems to work - thank you but of course is limited to 2.4.

if I connect the sky q booster to my broadband router via Ethernet which option do I choose on my main box as it says sky broadband router via WiFi,  non sky broadband router via WiFi or wired. Neither seems appropriate. Which option would I choose if I had the sky booster plugged into the router? Thanks 

Hi @tfkent 

With the booster connected by Ethernet to your router the option to take in a Network reset on the main Q box  is to connect to the booster by WPS.

Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your router. Even if reset is not listed there is still an option to connect by WiFi to Sky Router.  (You can use this option as the Q booster should be transmitted the equivalent of Sky Broadband).

You will be asked to press the WPS button on the Sky booster . (Not on the Q box as the Network reset will start the main Q box WPS automatically).

Added advantage if this works is that the main Q will connect to the 5 Ghz band

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@tfkent wrote:

I have a Q main box and 3 minis. The main box is not in the same room as the (non sky) broadband router so i would like to connect to it via wifi. The mini boxes are alll connected to the main via the sky wifi mesh. I could not get the main box to connect via wifi so had to plug the ethernet cable into a wifi booster, which works but is unreliable. Is there any way to connect the main box to my (non sky) router direct via wifi whilst still keeping the minis running. Thanks

Hi @tfkent 

If it is not a Q WiFi booster then it will not connect reliably.

Unfortunately Q boosters will not connect by WiFi to 3rd party broadband but could work if you connect it by Ethetnet to your router.

tfkent
Topic Author

Thanks - is there any way to connect the main box to the router via WiFi without a booster at all?

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@tfkent wrote:

Thanks - is there any way to connect the main box to the router via WiFi without a booster at all?

Just a Network reset @tfkent 

First reset your broadband router.

If your router does not have a reset button, reboot it by disconnecting the power lead for 30 secs and then reconnecting.
Wait until the router is completely back and running and then try a Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your router. Even if reset is not listed there is still an option to connect by WiFi to Sky or 3rd party router

On 3rd party (non Sky ) broadband then you need to enter the SSID and password for the router 2.4 Ghz WiFi band.

tfkent
Topic Author

Thank you - the reason I ask is I do have a sky q booster but power is limited near the router so I may have to work without it

I have tried your steps to connect directly and that seems to work - thank you but of course is limited to 2.4.

if I connect the sky q booster to my broadband router via Ethernet which option do I choose on my main box as it says sky broadband router via WiFi,  non sky broadband router via WiFi or wired. Neither seems appropriate. Which option would I choose if I had the sky booster plugged into the router? Thanks 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@tfkent wrote:

Hi @tfkent 

With the booster connected by Ethernet to your router the option to take in a Network reset on the main Q box  is to connect to the booster by WPS.

Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your router. Even if reset is not listed there is still an option to connect by WiFi to Sky Router.  (You can use this option as the Q booster should be transmitted the equivalent of Sky Broadband).

You will be asked to press the WPS button on the Sky booster . (Not on the Q box as the Network reset will start the main Q box WPS automatically).

Added advantage if this works is that the main Q will connect to the 5 Ghz band

tfkent
Topic Author

Thank you

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion