Discussion topic: This sucks! SO, after losing internet to my mini box (Apparently)

This message was authored by DoogleA This message was authored by: DoogleA

This sucks! SO, after losing internet to my mini box (Apparently)

I go through my monthly routine of getting my steps in by going up and down stairs doing various resets, reboots, unplug this unplug that etc, etc, but now it's the added enjoyment of having to also reconnect the damn remote as it no longer operated the mini box!

Contacted Sky and actually got to speak to an engineer with no real joy (I had by now managed to get the box connected) but he did mention that "It's preferable to also have Sky broadband as this provides a much more stable connection" even though NOTHING else in the house has internet issues, only Sky, but apparently it's something to do with how their system is set up and third party providers don't always work as well?

If this is correct (And I've no doubt it is) then this is nothing but a kind of back door "Monopoly" whereby they supply a product that will "work" with other systems but maybe not as well because it's set to work with their own primarily, THIS is a disgrace frankly and  just another example of Sky's bloody greed, quite frankly if there was more of a choice out there for TV (Tried Virgin but tbh not much better) I had the old SkyHD system prior to Q and never had ONE problem with it, jumped to Q last year as it was clear that HD was basically finished and not a lot of support for it so went to Q, and tbh have never spent as much time with reboots/resets etc, would I recommend...........🤬

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: This sucks! SO, after losing internet to my mini box (Apparently)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DoogleA 

A simple calculation demonstrates that a reasonable number of households use Q without having Sky broadband and aren't posting here: take the number of Sky television households (about 12 million) and substract the number where Sky is the ISP (about 6 million)

Q is quite likely to be more problematic than HD simply because HD Multiroom was cabled.

As a first attempt at a solution, logging a fault with Sky and getting them to loan a wireless booster is the way to go.

Incidentally the kind of behaviour you are suggesting isn't actually illegal (I'd point at the way Apple devices work together, for example) and having a Sky Hub in place does bring additional diagnostic tools into use.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
DoogleA
Topic Author
This message was authored by DoogleA This message was authored by: DoogleA

Well first of all thanks for the reply, not too sure about the patronising tone it's written in but hey ho, I already use wi-fi boosters (although why I should need them in a simple two up two down house beats me, maybe better "Stability" for my Sky🙄) maybe I should try Sky's own boosters assuming they'd work with my existing wi-fi of course.

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@DoogleA  This won't help but I've been uising BT Internet & WiFi hubs ever since I got Sky Q (way back when it came out), and don't have any of the problems you describe.

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DoogleA wrote:

maybe I should try Sky's own boosters assuming they'd work with my existing wi-fi of course.

Q Mini boxes can't use the wireless signal broadcast from non-Sky booster hardware: they can connect over ethernet cable to such devices though.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion