Discussion topic: Tv wont connect to new router

This message was authored by Dafne This message was authored by: Dafne

Tv wont connect to new router

I received my new router today and have connected with laptop, tablet and mobile without problems but my tv won't connect. Says might need a booster.

Can anyone help.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Tv wont connect to new router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dafne wrote:

I received my new router today and have connected with laptop, tablet and mobile without problems but my tv won't connect. Says might need a booster.

Can anyone help.

Hi @Dafne 

First reset your broadband router.
If on Sky broadband hold the Reset on the back of the router until the power light flashes green (about 10 seconds). Don't unplug or switch off your router while it resets. The power light will go green when it's done.
If on 3rd party broadband and your router does not have a reset button, reboot it by disconnecting the power lead for 30 secs and then reconnecting.
Wait until the router is completely back and running and then try a Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your router. Even if reset is not listed there is still an option to connect by WiFi to Sky or 3rd party router
If you are on Sky Broadband you will be asked to press the WPS button on the Sky router. (Not on the Q box as the Network reset will start the main Q box WPS automatically). Make sure you press the WPS button on the Sky router and not the reset button.
if you are on 3rd party (non Sky ) broadband then you need to enter the SSID and password for the router 2.4 Ghz WiFi band.

Dafne
Topic Author

I've pressed and held the WPS button but says unsuccessful and may need to connect to Sky Q booster.

@Dafne wrote:

I've pressed and held the WPS button but says unsuccessful and may need to connect to Sky Q booster.

Are you on Sky Broadband @Dafne ??

Dafne
Topic Author

Yes, was told needed new router, which arrived today. No problems setting up other devices

@Dafne wrote:

Yes, was told needed new router, which arrived today. No problems setting up other devices

And did you completely reset the Router before carrying out a Network reset on the Q box?

Is so what colour was the Q box WPSnlight flashing?

Dafne
Topic Author

Did reset on tv. Router light was flashing green, then blank, red and eventually back to white.

@Dafne wrote:

Did reset on tv. Router light was flashing green, then blank, red and eventually back to white.

Hi @Dafne 

Was this when you pressed the WPS button on the router @Dafne 

Dafne
Topic Author

Sky Q box was flashing amber, it's now green. Tv looks as if it's trying to connect this time.... It's now connected.... Not sure why but it's done it this time..... I've been trying this since 1400 today. All connected now.

Thanks

@Dafne wrote:

Sky Q box was flashing amber, it's now green. Tv looks as if it's trying to connect this time.... It's now connected.... Not sure why but it's done it this time..... I've been trying this since 1400 today. All connected now.

Thanks

Hi @Dafne 

The router light should have also have flashed Amber when you pressed the Router WPS button.   If it was flashing green then you pressed the reset button not the WPS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion