Discussion topic: Watching BBC in Ireland - do I need HD bundle add-on?

This message was authored by js-1 This message was authored by: js-1

Watching BBC in Ireland - do I need HD bundle add-on?

Can anyone confirm if the HD add-on is a requirement to watch BBC channel in Ireland?

Some online discussions suggest BBC is free to air therefore HD add-on is not required. However, I don't know if that is the same for Irish viewers.

Sky Ireland were unable to definitively confirm this when I phoned on two occasions and suggested that I probably do need the HD add-on. I wasn't fully convinced by their answer though!

Ideally I'd like to bring down my bill by removing HD add-on but I don't want to lose BBC. 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Watching BBC in Ireland - do I need HD bundle add-on?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@js-1 wrote:

Can anyone confirm if the HD add-on is a requirement to watch BBC channel in Ireland?

Some online discussions suggest BBC is free to air therefore HD add-on is not required. However, I don't know if that is the same for Irish viewers.

Sky Ireland were unable to definitively confirm this when I phoned on two occasions and suggested that I probably do need the HD add-on. I wasn't fully convinced by their answer though!

Ideally I'd like to bring down my bill by removing HD add-on but I don't want to lose BBC. 

hi @js-1 

You do not need the HD pack to watch the BBC in HD - the BBC have actually switched off their SD versions via Satellite 

This message was authored by ZyloKai This message was authored by: ZyloKai

The following channels are available free-to-air in Ireland: 

• BBC One HD (Northern Ireland region)*
  • BBC Two HD (Northern Ireland region)*
  • BBC Three HD*
  • BBC Four HD*
  • CBBC HD*
  • CBeebies HD*

The following HD channels are free-to-view.
Free-to-view means that a basic pack (Sky Q Lite or Sky Signature on Sky Q or Sky Ultimate TV on Sky Glass/Stream), is required. These channels are available with or without the HD pack. Note: these are region locked  and are unavailable outside Ireland or Ireland and Northern Ireland respectively:

• RTÉ One HD
  • RTÉ2 HD*
  • TG4 HD*
  • Virgin Media One HD*
  • Virgin Media Two HD*
  • Virgin Media Four HD*
  • Channel 4 HD (with adverts for Ireland)

(* = only available in HD)

This message was authored by ZyloKai This message was authored by: ZyloKai

@ZyloKai wrote:

[...]

• RTÉ One HD

[...]

Update: RTÉ One is only available in HD and its SD counterpart has closed as of 29 April

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion