Discussion topic: Ethernet cable

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Ethernet cable

What's the best one to buy for stream. CAT 6 or 8?

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Ethernet cable

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Super+Anthony  Both are overkill as the pucks only have 100mbps ethernet ports.

Cat 5 will be sufficient.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

You will be fine with a cat 5e cable and above for Sky Stream.

But, would recommend now going for at least a cat 6, Sky Stream cannot make full use of its full speed potential yet, but it does offer much improved crosstalk and noise interference in our busy households.

On Amazon and other places, I have bought cables from Ultra Clarity cables (like  connecting my ONT to router over a many feet run) and also if you prefer the flat type for runs behind your equipment and skirting runs, try those or the normal round cables form Kenable.

I have one Sky Stream box connected with a kenable cat 6 flat cable and had no issues.

My main Sky Stream box is connected via wifi, also with no issues.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
Super+Anthony
Topic Author
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Thank you. Brought  6 one

IMG_6515.jpeg

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Update from last post. I was just told by a tech individual from a shop that a CAT 8 will still work and won't make it worse and is compatible. He also mentioned if anything, will make it run better

This message was authored by rg99 This message was authored by: rg99

Cat 8 is designed to work with devices at both ends that have screened sockets. The Puck doesn't and most routers don't, so it's no better than Cat 6.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Super+Anthony wrote:

He also mentioned if anything, will make it run better

Almost certainly not, but his profit would be improved by the cost difference...

Cat8 is server-room technology for switch-to-switch patching on 10GbE ports and entirely unnecessary for domestic cable runs.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Looking at Amazon, there is not much price difference between the two though, but thank you @TimmyBGood 

Going to try the CAT 6 one though as suggested 

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

Personally, I'd get a cat 5e cable for under £2, rather than spend £6 on cat 6.

Cat 6 makes sense if everything is gigabit, especially on longer runs or if it's an electrically noisy environment, but for domestic use, it's usually overkill.

I have several managed network switches within my home network and none report noticeable error levels with cat 5e. 

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Thank you @rscott

i had already brought the 6 though, but never mind. Compared to the 8, i haven't noticed much difference. In fact the 8 had better picture it looked like

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Super+Anthony wrote:

Thank you @rscott

i had already brought the 6 though, but never mind. Compared to the 8, i haven't noticed much difference. In fact the 8 had better picture it looked like

The category of ethernet cable will have zero effect on picture quality. 

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Super+Anthony wrote:

Thank you @rscott

Ssh. Don't tell the people paying £500 for an "audio grade" network switch 😀https://www.kjwestone.co.uk/product/chord-co-english-electric-8switch/

That's the entry level product - the really gullible can spend £2k on them. 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@rscott wrote:

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Super+Anthony wrote:

Thank you @rscott

Ssh. Don't tell the people paying £500 for an "audio grade" network switch 😀https://www.kjwestone.co.uk/product/chord-co-english-electric-8switch/

That's the entry level product - the really gullible can spend £2k on them. 

Hilarious. Reminds me of those 'experts' in Currys who try and force incredible gold plated HDMI cables costing upwards of £80 on unsuspecting customers, claiming it'll improve their picture/sound quality. 

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Maybe it's just being neurodivergent which makes me think that!!

What exactly are the differences? @Padam_Padam 

@Super+Anthony wrote:

Maybe it's just being neurodivergent which makes me think that!!

What exactly are the differences? @Padam_Padam 

It's easier for the mind to play tricks like that. When you buy something you're told is better, you want to believe it... 😁

This will explain the basics:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/different-types-of-ethernet-cables-explained/ 

All a Sky Stream puck cares about is receiving a stable broadband signal. As long as it gets 35Mbps or above consistently then it's happy.

I used a very cheap cat 5e cable on my Puck for a year and it was totally stable. Never had buffering or anything caused by a network issue. The issues I had were all hardware/software or server based. All the image processing is done on an entirely separate chip, completely unnaffected by the network. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion