Discussion topic: I tried Virgin Stream...

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Re: I tried Virgin Stream...

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bemak187 wrote:

Bit off topic but Virgin stream is a bit of an odd one.  It has always seemed like a sort of experiment/hobby and uncertain if it will be the future for them.  I know VM are working to go full fibre and have a few different delivery methods on the go like HFC, RFoG and XGS-PON.  The issue with XGS-PON is there is no coax involved so VM will need to come up with something more perm as their other boxes all need a coax connection even the their minis.

I have an xgs-pon installation with the new hub 5x. Vm cabled up to my street last summer then ran the final cable along the existing lampposts. You are right .... there is no co ax the fibre optic is run from the outside wall socket in either of two lengths - 5m or 10m. The only tv option is sky stream. All works fine though 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on
Ed.B.
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ed.B. This message was authored by: Ed.B.

@Jporch316 wrote:

@bemak187 wrote:

Bit off topic but Virgin stream is a bit of an odd one.  It has always seemed like a sort of experiment/hobby and uncertain if it will be the future for them.  I know VM are working to go full fibre and have a few different delivery methods on the go like HFC, RFoG and XGS-PON.  The issue with XGS-PON is there is no coax involved so VM will need to come up with something more perm as their other boxes all need a coax connection even the their minis.

I have an xgs-pon installation with the new hub 5x. Vm cabled up to my street last summer then ran the final cable along the existing lampposts. You are right .... there is no co ax the fibre optic is run from the outside wall socket in either of two lengths - 5m or 10m. The only tv option is sky stream. All works fine though 

Lol, you need to be careful typing about your xgs-pon installation!

As for Virgin, it seems a bit dim not to allow multiple stream boxes given the future is wireless around the home. Maybe they still only have about 500 in the country! They can have mine back, it's toilet

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Ed.B. One of your points refers to the fact that Virgin stream does start from beginning only through BBCi player - so does Sky stream. BBC doesn't permit cloud recording which would be required not to use BBC iPlayer on either Virgin stream or Sky stream. 

Secondly - you state that the picture quality is inferior on Virgin steam v Sky stream, I find the opposite - if the Virgin box is set in HD it does a better job of upscalling than sky stream on my LG OLED. I am thinking you may have a faulty virgin stream box or HDMI or poor tv panel. 

Virgin stream is a free service for those that have Virgin media broadband. - there is no requirement to have a base pack of £27 to £30 extra that there is on sky stream. It also has the advantage that it allows the FF and RW on some programming without paying extra for it, as some programmes can be accessed via Virgin on demand rather than the broadcasters on demand application 

Virgin stream also includes many more channels than sky stream - premier sports, that's tv, talking pictures, now music 80s etc and the majority of + 1 channels. 

There are some clear disadvantages of Virgin stream - exclusive to VM broadband, only one box permitted and having to deal with VM who are awful.  VM stream pricing has also recently increased (a lot) sky sports is now  £24.60 and Sky cinema has increased to £11.40 or £36 for both, up until last week sky sports was £18.75 or both sports and cinema for £28.75. 

For customers that don't want to have all the base channels and only want sports or cinema on a month to month basis without having to return the box (as per Sky stream) it's perfect. I would be interested to hear from others have VM stream in respect of picture quality - as contrary to the OP - I find it Perfect. Vm stream FF AND RW also work perfectly unlike sky stream. My thoughts. J

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ed.B. wrote:

@Jporch316 wrote:

@bemak187 wrote:

Lol, you need to be careful typing about your xgs-pon installation!

As for Virgin, it seems a bit dim not to allow multiple stream boxes given the future is wireless around the home. Maybe they still only have about 500 in the country! They can have mine back, it's toilet

When the engineer installed my fibre he said that Virgin were planning to allow multi room stream boxes. They basically gave me the stream box for free and I have it plugged into my sky glass. I've used it a few times and seems to have a lot more channels including the +1 s than the sky epg 

picture seems fine on the various streaming apps in uhd 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Jporch316 @Yeah thanks I agree the picture for me is as good if not better than sky stream 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
Ed.B.
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ed.B. This message was authored by: Ed.B.

Sky base pack with netflix is currently £19. So with sports that's £39 a month. Not a bad price although the only non sport sky channels I ever watch, and could live without, are arts and Atlantic. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion