Discussion topic: It was going so well but…..

This message was authored by Marvinator This message was authored by: Marvinator

It was going so well but…..

Now I'm getting this across all pucks regularly. 

very annoying. And yes, I have turned the option on for it to remain online in Standby. 

this is after 8 years of flaky performance with Q. Can't Sky make a box that works?

All Replies

Marvinator
Topic Author
This message was authored by Marvinator This message was authored by: Marvinator

Re: It was going so well but…..

 Image didn't add. Here it is. 

IMG_5105.png

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Probably has more to do with your flaky WiFi than the sky stream box. I never have this issue

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Improve your wifi 

Connect vie ethernet

Try power adaptors 

these are your three options 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
Marvinator
Topic Author

I don't have flaky WiFi. I have a gb connection coming out at 300-500mbps WiFi and no other hardware ever has any issue. 

Marvinator
Topic Author

Do you mean to be abrupt and condescending? 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Marvinator 

Sadly Sky Stream pucks are overly sensitive little critters, more so than any other streaming device I've owned. Unfortunately any little bit of network speed fluctuation can send them into a tizzy.

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@Marvinator I think that Jason meant the WiFi connection to your Puck could be a sketchy. By that I mean that while the puck has a connection, the connection is fast but if it's dropping its connection frequently, this could be caused by interference. How far away from the router is your puck? 

Marvinator
Topic Author

Thanks very much. I'll speak to Sky and ask them to reduce my monthly cost until they can fix their boxes to work properly. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Marvinator wrote:

I don't have flaky WiFi. I have a gb connection coming out at 300-500mbps WiFi and no other hardware ever has any issue. 

In most WiFi setups there will be times where the signal may weaken, packets may drop or the WiFi network may reboot. As the Sky streaming platform needs to have a perm connection to Sky servers, should it ever lose connection it tends to not be able to re-establish without a reboot, typically because the puck or glass tv will crash if the lack of signal is long enough (and it may only need to be a couple of seconds).

Most other devices don't need a constant connection to the internet they would only require it when you are actually opening a show or app for it to stream something.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Marvinator wrote:

Thanks very much. I'll speak to Sky and ask them to reduce my monthly cost until they can fix their boxes to work properly. 

Sky would suggest you connect via Ethernet and disable the WiFi on the picks settings.

Ultimately Sky have no responsibility over the strength and stability of a customers WiFi network in their own home ( there are numerous reasons why there could be interference or network dropouts.).

Obviously the exception is if you are on Sky broadband and have WiFi Max as Skys re pretty much gurantee a strong WiFi signal in every corner of your house with WiFi Max.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

As the Sky streaming platform needs to have a perm connection to Sky servers

Therein lies the biggest problem with Sky's streaming service IMHO. 

Marvinator
Topic Author

Thanks. It's about 10 feet away. My 2014 MacBook is the same distance and never loses connection. Nothing else does.

i am reluctant to Ethernet it as i did with Q. I believe the Ethernet port on the Stream puck is limited to 100 mbps, so feels like a step back.

Marvinator
Topic Author

I have a strong signal in every corner of my house. I have mesh.

Marvinator
Topic Author

Thanks. Maybe it's better not to have it connected while in standby mode in that case. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion