Discussion topic: Sky Stream now works with LG magic remote

This message was authored by Arthur7 This message was authored by: Arthur7

Re: Sky Stream now works with LG magic remote

I followed the steps but it still isn't working for me. Could someone that has it working please help me by checking if you need line of sight for the LG remote to the puck? (I.e. for IR commands) I thought this sent the commands via hdmi but perhaps that is not the case? Does CEC just do the basic stuff and then the rest is via IR? 

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Arthur7 @If you followed the instructions it will work. Yes you need line of sight. The LG remote isn't blue tooth 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

Ok - I thought the commands were sent from the LG tv to the puck via hdmi - I have line of sight from the remote to the tv but not to the puck. I will try installing the IR blaster that came with the tv. Thanks! 

Just following up on this as I'm seeing a lot which suggests the LG magic remote sends most commands via RF rather than IR (which makes sense as it works without being pointed at the tv), and also that HDMI-CEC (or LG Simplink) is there to use the HDMI cable to control connected devices. Surely this would mean that the LG remote would communicate with the TV and the TV would send the commands to the puck via HDMI? Can anyone point me at anything that shows this isn't how it works? (I'm not trying to be argumentative here I would just like to understand all of this as right now it's not making much sense)

Thanks

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Arthur7 @You are over complicating the matter. You asked how it could be done, I  went to the time and trouble and provided very straightforward instructions to help you . others have followed and been successful. I have no idea about the technical questions you are asking, the LG magic remote works with sky stream 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

Hi Jason, firstly let me say that I really appreciate the guidance.

However a desire to understand how something works and over-complicating it aren't necessarily the same thing. The problem for me is that the puck and my AppleTV are in a media wall behind the TV. 

I could just keep using the sky remote but it would be nice to just use the LG one. I may be able to get round this by using an IR blaster behind the TV but I've not had time to try that yet. 

However my understanding (though potentially incorrect)  was that shouldn't be necessary if it's the tv sending the commands over hdmi. The magic remote seems to control the AppleTV without line of sight so I'm not sure why the sky puck should be different (I say seems as it was working yesterday but not today for some reason). 

If you don't know the answer that's fair enough (I don't) but if someone can clarify this for me it would be helpful. 

Thanks

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Arthur7 HDMI control is a complex system without universl rules and while some commands like power and volume can be carried different manufacturers have different systems so you can never guarantee it will work between different brands.

Many devices can be controlled by Wifi using IP commands but unfortunately there is no known IP interface for the Stream hardware unlike  Sky Q where there is an unsupported interface. Most LG TVs can be controlled in this way from an app or from the wireless remote but remote commands for third party kit use Infra Red if there isnt an IP interface.

You can buying an IR blaster system which should work. Personally I have been using a Harmony programmable remote system where the remotes hub supports multiple IR blasters but that is now discontinued and support is patchy.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by almoo This message was authored by: almoo

I've followed the instructions - manually searching for Sky - but the remote is still not controlling Sky for me. 

I've tried using a different HDMI port, tried it using simplink being on/off, tried different manual Sky options, someone in some other thread tried using Amstrad which worked for them that I gave a go - still nothing. 

Unplugged everything for a few minutes, tried again. Reset the LG remote. 

Out of ideas here. Any other suggestions please? 

This message was authored by Stephen+Baishya This message was authored by: Stephen+Baishya

@Chrisee 

C9 here - long press / hold down 'back' on the Magic Remote opens the home screen for me.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Stephen+Baishya thanks but unfortuntely that long press doesnt work on my remote it simple switches audio description on. There appear to be multiple versions of smart remotes and LG's TV OS which means what works for one combination doesnt work for others.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by G+Champion This message was authored by: G+Champion

Thanks Jason for the instructions.

I tried again on my LG C1 and I didnt appreciate the LG settings etc in the LG thinQ dashboard. Now I am clear and confirm the third PR + up try does control the  Sky stream via the LG magic remote. The LG on screen instructions didnt register in my head correctly, however once the press of the PR+ button works on screen agaibst the Sky Stream picture, then thats it. I found it easier to slect the live TV screens on the Stream remote first, so that the PR+ button definetly shows the channel change up.

I can confirm that the remote controls the Sky Stream via Infra Red, not CEC. I've an IR rec/emit box in the TV unit so that IR can work with the doors closed and kit hidden away.

It also does do HOME on SS via the back button double presses.

So thanks for the guidance and the remove of the Sky Stream remote for most operations.

This message was authored by Stephen+Baishya This message was authored by: Stephen+Baishya

@Chrisee Ah, that's a shame. You'd hope it would at least be consistent for the same generation of TV.

This message was authored by Scorp1 This message was authored by: Scorp1

Just to add to this, I've tried it on a LG C3 and it doesn't work. Got to the screen where you push the program up button and nothing happens. 

Possible that it doesn't work consistently on all LG TV's.

This message was authored by Panmat This message was authored by: Panmat

You have to press the OK (middle) button to see if it changes if not it will give you another option to try

This message was authored by almoo This message was authored by: almoo

It doesn't give another option to try. It just gives PR-up endlessly for me. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion