Discussion topic: Sky Stream now works with LG magic remote

This message was authored by G+Champion This message was authored by: G+Champion

Re: Sky Stream now works with LG magic remote

Thats exactly it, it gives PR+ again and you press the centre thumbwheel OK button to test it. If it does nothing, try it again until it does.

A few days back it stopped working, in order to set it back up I had to press PR+ at least ten tries in order for it to send the correct signal to operate the Sky Stream box, so keep pressing.

Note: When I first did it, it worked after about the fourth go. So don't know why it changed.

The back button for home, you have to keep you finger on that for the Sky box, otherwise it takes the 'press' as for the TV instead.

This message was authored by G+Champion This message was authored by: G+Champion

To clarify. You press the PR+ and it asks, did that work Yes or No. If you click on NO it will offer you a press of PR+ again as its sending a different IR code to the device to test again. So keep going.......

If you see it change on the picture (Any up down movement) in picture of the source HDMI for Sky Stream then its a  click on YES and it will carry on and store the settings for the input source. 

The settings are also saved so if you delete the whole lot in the dashboard you can restore them again based on the source input name, so it says. I've not tried the latter.

Also if  the input on the LG is setup for universal control you will also see a little remote when you change the source input on the TV next to the source name, top left of screen.

The other point of note is the three ... dots on the remote. They will give you the on-screen home/power controls that will operate the Sky Stream via the LG remote, if you've got it setup correctly. Its a bit convoluted but works as a fallback.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Oh and one more thing.

If you have the puck inside a cabinet, then the LG remote will not work as it needs line of sight to operate the IR on the puck.

Mine is inside a closed cabinet, so I use an IR sender to an IR distribution box that passes the signal onto an IR emitter thats stuck over the IR eye on the puck. so when I press  the down button on the LG remote for example, the signal goes to the IR receiver on the top of the cabinet down the wire to the IR distribution box and out to an IR emitter cable and down that to an eye thats stuck on the Sky stream, over its IR window.... phew!

This message was authored by almoo This message was authored by: almoo

Thank you for trying to help. When I had initially replied, I had tried the method you suggested for five minutes straight. I think that, after thirty times of it not working, continuing to try would be futile. There was nothing in the way between the remote and the puck.

However, this will be a non-issue going forward, as I have cancelled Sky Stream. I did not like how the shows I wanted to watch, I had to pay for extra subscriptions to watch old episodes, with no ability to record. The remote thing didn't help either. Sky were very good about me leaving, though, no issues getting that sorted. 

But I really do appreciate you taking the time to assist. I'm glad that it has worked for you, and hopefully it will work for most people too. 

This message was authored by Ladydi58 This message was authored by: Ladydi58

Hi do you know how I can change from the sky stream remote back to our lg remote please?

Diane Duvale

Hi.

You need to follow the instructions from Jason Golding on page 1 of this thread. That will make the LG magic remote operate the Sky Stream box via Infra Red (IR) not bluetooth, so it needs libe of sight from remote to the Sky Stream box.

If you read through the pages here there's some other hints too.

It does work as I'm using it as per the instructions.

This message was authored by Ladydi58 This message was authored by: Ladydi58

Sorry for being a bit dense but how do I use my lg remote now that I have connected the sky remote? I go into settings on sky but can't on lg as remote isn't operational 🥴

Diane Duvale

The LG remote works using Infrared, so line of sight to the Sky puck.

You need to follow the instructions from Jason originally from page 1 of this article. The idea is that the remote is then programmed from the TV and back via the screen as manufacturer sky and device as sky. Once thats setup the details are used back out to the LG remote which in turn when the TV is switched to the Sky Stream source the LG remote will operate it.

It is difficult if your non-techie, but follow the instructions. Worse case is that it just will not work. You can't break the Sky box or your LG remote, and the latter will still operate the TV as before.

The LG magic remote should always work the TV, if it doesn't then there is something else wrong. e.g. The settings button on the magic remote will always bring up the TV settings. If you programme the magic remote then it is always set to that input, so for example, if you had programmed it to sky on HDMI 1 it would send sky IR codes out. You can see all this in the LG dashboard as per Jasons instructions.

For Ladydi58: The instructions.

This message was authored by Jason Golding

Follow this. 

1. Go to home hub on LG Tv 

2. highlight the box on the left side that has your sky stream in (HDMI input number)

3.  Press the three dots in the right hand corner 

4. press universal control settings 

5. select the HDMI input where your stream box is 

6. press manage settings at the bottom 

7, press delete settings (This bit is important as it clears out any old attempts on that HDMI input)

8. press manage settings 

9. press start settings 

10. press select set top box 

11. when it says select a set top - don't press sky - press select all option. 
12. press search 

13. type in sky to search. It will come back with lots of sky options.

14. select just Sky

15. it will then take you to a page called Universal control settings - after the third attempt it will work of pressing the PR + up channel button on screen click it. Do what it says exactly and watch the right side screen (Your sky stream input) for any changes.

Note point 15 might take a few more attempts. I think I had to do it ten times before it change the picture from Sky Stream on the right hand side of the screen.

This message was authored by rickwookie This message was authored by: rickwookie

fwiw I set up an LG G4 the other day and the magic remote controlled the Sky Stream puck via the included LG dual IR blaster cable that comes with the TV, right out of the box with no manual setup needed. The TV just detected the Stream box and did its magic. The Stream puck is behind the TV in a recess so no way the magic remote's in-built IR is getting to it. I placed one of the two emitter buds in front of the puck's IR windows, but I didn't try without the IR blaster cable plugged in, to see if it was actually using HDMI CEC, so can't help there I'm afraid.

To get the Stream Home menu up I pressed the "three dots" button on the LG magic remote (which brings up a pop-up menu on the screen) and from there select Home. Didn't know about so didn't try the back button/press/hold/double-press or whatever it may be so don't knows if that works too.

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@rickwookie To get the home menu on stream just press the back up button twice 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion