Discussion topic: Sky stream - suddenly no sound

This message was authored by RuneJ This message was authored by: RuneJ

Sky stream - suddenly no sound

HI,

Received and set up my new Sky stream puck on Monday. Been quite excited about having access to everything we need on one box and it's been working well so far.

However, suddenly today there's no sound on BBC News or any other show/movie. It was working fine a few moments earlier. The TV did its auto power off, and when I turned it back on, sound had gone from the puck.

I tried the usual and recommended troubleshooting steps:

1: Power off puck

2: Disconnect puck from mains for a couple of minutes

3: Reconnect to mains and leave on stand by for 5 minutes

4: Power puck back on

Still no sound. All native TV apps work fine, and as I mentioned, so did the puck until now.

In settings, the puck is set to auto for sound, but I also tried other options without luck.

Any advice?

Best Answers
RuneJ
Topic Author
This message was authored by RuneJ This message was authored by: RuneJ Answer

Re: Sky stream - suddenly no sound

Issue resolved. 

Missed a crucial step that seemed to have done the trick - turn off the TV and back on again. Sound is back 🤣

Clearly just a connection issue between the box and the TV. Didn't consider the TV, as sound was coming through fine when using BBC iplayer etc. 

All good... phew!

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

RuneJ
Topic Author
This message was authored by RuneJ This message was authored by: RuneJ Answer

Issue resolved. 

Missed a crucial step that seemed to have done the trick - turn off the TV and back on again. Sound is back 🤣

Clearly just a connection issue between the box and the TV. Didn't consider the TV, as sound was coming through fine when using BBC iplayer etc. 

All good... phew!

This message was authored by ShimKhani This message was authored by: ShimKhani

Hey I am having the same problems.

Noticed on live TV, i player and Netflix.

Had to change channels/restart apps for the sound to be restored.

This leads me to think it is a Puck issue.

Annoying.

This message was authored by KnutsChris This message was authored by: KnutsChris

I also have just started up this week. I am getting pictures of everything I want ...TV Channels, Netflix etc ......but NONE of them have sound. I've done everything suggested above (several times) but no joy.

As as secondary (but very irritating) issue, each time I change anything on my Remote I hear a message (eg "Speaker Volume set at 24"). I'd love to know how to get rid of that !

This message was authored by KnutsChris This message was authored by: KnutsChris

OK, I have solved part of my problem. The highly-irritating voice thing was caused by "Screen Reader" being switched on within my TV set (nothing to do with Sky). How on earth it switched itself on I have no idea, but at least that's dealt with.

I now "just" have the problem of no sound (but perfect pictures) on anything viewed via my Sky puck.

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@RuneJ I had this issue earlier. My sound is connected via eARC to my soundbar and because I watched something for an hour or so on YouTube via my TV's app, the puck decided not to handshake properly which then caused an issue with iPlayer causing it to crash, so I'm guessing a conflict happened somewhere. It was resolved with a power cycle though. 

Then, for the whole of yesterday evening, without me doing anything new we had perfect sound. 

BUT turning on again today, no sound ....what's going on ??

This message was authored by Matt+Nunns This message was authored by: Matt+Nunns

Same issue here, sound randomly stops. Has happened on sky channels and iplayer. Turning the puck off and turning it back on fixes the issue. Has happened 3 times in 2 days of having the puck. Not great! Why is this thing so buggy!!

RuneJ
Topic Author
This message was authored by RuneJ This message was authored by: RuneJ

I'm still expericing this issue every now and then too. Most often happens, if my Stream puk turns off and the TV remains ON, and when I turn back the Stream there most often will be no sound before I turn off and on the TV. Quite tedious, hope it gets sorted soon.

This message was authored by kkf This message was authored by: kkf

Is there a fix for this? Had this happen - tried all the troubleshooting and no luck. Called sky update my software and worked fine. Turned the tv off for a bit then back on and no sound again. Picture is fine and sometimes there is a chirping noise 

This message was authored by G+Champion This message was authored by: G+Champion

Had this loss of sound issue on a puck connected to a Samsung TV at start up. The other two pucks I have are connected to Hisense and LG. Not had any issues with the sound on those yet.

I tried all settings on the TV, speaker, optical, BT sound bar, no sound output at all.

Changed Sky puck from PCM to Dolby and back again and the sound came back, so its some sort of handshake error on start up, puck to TV via HDMI. This has happened twice now in the last 24 hours on starting the TV and puck. I did not have to switch the TV off, and neither a restart of the puck device. First time I pulled the HDMI lead out of the puck, which reenabled the handshake to the TV.

I do not believe its the TV at all, as I had Sky Q mini boxes connected to the TV before and they had no such issue ever.

This remains as just one of the bugs that Sky really need to sort out on these devices fast. No sound  at all? Come on Sky.....

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@G+Champion I have a Samsung TV and soundbar with a Sky puck and have not had any handshake issues.  I have my soundbar connected via the eARC HDMI port.

Check that you have HDMI control set to ON in the pucks Start up. & Standby menu. also, have you tried connecting one of your other pucks that are working on the Hisense and LG TVs to the Samsung?  This would help you determine if it is the Puck or TV that is causing the issue.  It could be a faulty puck or just a setting on the TV.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by G+Champion This message was authored by: G+Champion

Thanks.

The soundbar attached to the Samsung is via optical toslink from the TV. No HDMI like tge Sonos Beam attached to the LG C1. 

CEC on the Samsung is not enabled.

Switched on today, surpise Samsung TV isnt doing it.

Thanks for responding.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@G+Champion At least you have ruled out your TV so it appears to be something to do with the puck. You best bet would be to contact Sky for some troubleshooting.  You could call them direct or if you prefer I could escalate you post to the Community Messaging Team for an online chat.  Let me know if you would like me to escalate it.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by kkf This message was authored by: kkf

Update: Puck had to be replaced. All now working as it should

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion