Discussion topic: Sky stream

This message was authored by sha54 This message was authored by: sha54

Sky stream

Looking at returning to Sky, and looking at Sky Stream. Do you have to have Sky Broadband as I'm not willing to move my broadband provider, but would like to have Sky tv.

Best Answers
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Re: Sky stream

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

No you can use any broadband provider. It's not like Virgin whose streaming service is currently tied into being a Virgin broadband customer. 

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

No you can use any broadband provider. It's not like Virgin whose streaming service is currently tied into being a Virgin broadband customer. 

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@sha54 who is your ISP .... Sky Stream has issues with some ISPs😉

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

@Exiled-in-HH Which ISP's, I know there's been issues with Virgin BB but wasn't aware of others. It would be useful to know as I'm coming to the end of my current contract with my provider.

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

I have virgin broadband and sky stream. I have never had an issue, Rock solid. 

Secondly, the Virgin media network will be available for wholesale next year, it will be a true competitor to Openreach, Sky may even use the VM infrastructure to deliver their broadband. It will be interesting to see if this allows or indeed Virgin will want to open up their stream box to other ISPs. Virgin have recently upgraded the amount of channels available on their stream service to mirror their cable service, now includes talking pictures and all the +1 channels etc as well as Sky sports UHD channels 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Octaplus is one and the service supplied to Persimmon new builds is another... then there are  the ISPs that use non-UK IP addresses😉

Exiled in HH

Virgin Media that's interesting... it is a shame their coverage is so limited🤔

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jason+Golding wrote:

Secondly, the Virgin media network will be available for wholesale next year, it will be a true competitor to Openreach

There's some debate about that ; )

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/02/broadband-isps-react-to-virgin-media-o2-uk-going-whole... 

Interesting that A&A see it as a way of providing domestic broadband with some actual resilience, presumably by having their consumer-end hardware connected to both and so able to use either network as failover.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Capt555 This message was authored by: Capt555

You don't need sky broadband. 

I've had sky stream for over a year so and it's the worst mistake I've ever made. I'm returning to Sky Q ASAP. 

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Exiled-in-HH VM pass through 16.3 million homes. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

Basically only urban homes and very low geographic coverage🤔

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

@Capt555 I guess you can hang on to Q for 4-5 years which is likely to be the end of Sat broadcasting by Sky. I had Q from 2016 until October 2022 when I switched to Stream and wouldn't return to Q. I guess it has to be what your happy with.

@Exiled-in-HH @If you say so 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

@Exiled-in-HH 

VM are expanding their network massively with NexFibre, they intend to become a national player even outside their old cable areas.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/02/nexfibre-publish-q1-2024-uk-full-fibre-broadband-build...

@Jason+Golding YES I do... do you think is widely available in rural areas🤔

VirginMedia have never been available anywhere I've lived😉

Exiled in HH

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion